Amp for B&W 802 speakers?

coaltrain

I’m posing this question on behalf of an elderly gentleman who owns a pair of 25 year old 802s.
A few weeks ago, his vintage set of Nad pre and power amps developed a problem, and he’s unable to get the requisite spares to repair them. Hence, he’s looking to purchase an integrated amp that’s capable of driving his speakers.
The room is small to medium and listening levels are kept low, so I’m presuming massive power is not a prerequisite. However, he does want clarity at the frequency extremes as his hearing is not what it used to be.
The budget is around 1 lakh and he’s open to buying secondhand, as well. I have not heard his setup, nor am I familiar with these speakers. Any pointers to suitable matches would be highly appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

One of the reasons b&w teamed up with classe was its synergy. Probably one is a a available somewhere. If not ask him to stick with the nad line.

I’m posing this question on behalf of an elderly gentleman who owns a pair of 25 year old 802s.
A few weeks ago, his vintage set of Nad pre and power amps developed a problem, and he’s unable to get the requisite spares to repair them. Hence, he’s looking to purchase an integrated amp that’s capable of driving his speakers.
The room is small to medium and listening levels are kept low, so I’m presuming massive power is not a prerequisite. However, he does want clarity at the frequency extremes as his hearing is not what it used to be.
The budget is around 1 lakh and he’s open to buying secondhand, as well. I have not heard his setup, nor am I familiar with these speakers. Any pointers to suitable matches would be highly appreciated.
Thanks for looking.
maybe a good Class D. I would also expect a Naim amp >50 W to run them as well. B&Ws do need some tough driving despite their apparently easy specs.

Thanks @manek
Yes, I am looking at Nad as an option, as second hand Classe amps are probably thin on the ground. I wonder, though, if there are any new Nad amps within his budget that could do the job.

Thanks @arj
Unfortunately, he’s not a fan of Class D :) And, you’re right, he did mention that the B&Ws are power hungry.
Since you mentioned ~50 watts, do you think a new Audiolab, Marantz or Cambridge Audio in the 1 lakh range could do the trick?

Thanks @manek
Yes, I am looking at Nad as an option, as second hand Classe amps are probably thin on the ground. I wonder, though, if there are any new Nad amps within his budget that could do the job.

Thanks @arj
Unfortunately, he’s not a fan of Class D :) And, you’re right, he did mention that the B&Ws are power hungry.
Since you mentioned ~50 watts, do you think a new Audiolab, Marantz or Cambridge Audio in the 1 lakh range could do the trick?
yes..i would actually go for a Denon in that list, although I will still prefer a Naim as a better match
I would have suggested a Electrocompaniet or Bryston as the apt options but not easily available

Marantz mentions b&w speakers as perfect pairing for their amps. I can see matching recommendations given for 600, 700 series speakers in their site but none for 800 series. I guess there should be some sort of synergy between marantz and b&w going by their site.
Marantz perfect pairing

In the budget Rotel is a good choice. I would not look at Marantz, Denon, Audiiolab, Naim, etc.

I have owned the B&W 801. It’s power hungry. I am sure the 802 would also demand power.

Marantz, Naim, etc won't cut any ice with B&W... Classe, Bryston (A bit cold with this one), old krell, CODA, etc will be good... Rotel 200wpc will drive this too... Older / vinatge Accupahse too will be good.. maybe sansui AU-d11 ??

Thanks for looking.
Tell him to look at the Rotel Integrated line up, anything above 100w should be fine for the 802s (vintage ones)
He anyways listens to low volumes so a 100 watt Rotel would fit the bill nicely. Look at the Rotel A14.

Rotel is the way to go for the 802 as mentioned by 2 others.
Even an older Rotel of 100 watts ( models between 2000 and 2010 ) is good enough and can be had within his budget of 1L.

Thank you all, for your helpful suggestions and insights!
Rotel appears to have grabbed the majority vote. Guess that’s a good starting point for the hunt.
Thanks for that great question, @rikhav !
If it’s only the one component, replacing the other would be an easier option. Will check and revert.

I have used Naim Nait 5i with B&W 804 in a 15x12 size room and the Naim did control the 804 to my surprise.
Perraux Audiant i80 is another amp which can drive the 802's.
Cheers

I have used Naim Nait 5i with B&W 804 in a 15x12 size room and the Naim did control the 804 to my surprise.
Perraux Audiant i80 is another amp which can drive the 802's.
Cheers
I have heard the Naim Nait with BW803 matrix ( i think) and it was really very good and was able to fill out a large room. Have no experience with Rotel although the older ones had a high current output enough to drive the speakers.

The problem with old ones ( especially High power SS) is in case something blows out fixing it again becomes an issue

Thank you all, for your helpful suggestions and insights!
Rotel appears to have grabbed the majority vote. Guess that’s a good starting point for the hunt.
Thanks for that great question, @rikhav !
If it’s only the one component, replacing the other would be an easier option. Will check and revert.

If it's only the power amp, maybe specs can be studied and decide which has best synergy with existing pre amp and ofcourse the speakers and a locally made power amp would make a great choice
We have some very good options in peeceebee by Shan, acoustic portrait and O&B audio of pune.
There maybe few more which i would have missed

So, it appears that the preamp is working fine, and only the power amp is kaput. And, as you’ve noted, Rikhav, I’ve just been pinged regarding an Indian power amp for sale. Will pass on the details and see what the gentleman has to say.

In the meantime, I did a quick online search and found these two:

Rotel RB 1552 MkII - Audiophile Stereo Power Amplifier | The Audio Co.

NAD C 275BEE Stereo Power Amplifier | The Audio Co.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Nad appears to be a Class D design. Which means the Rotel would be the better option, especially considering the feedback from others here. If anyone has any info regarding these two amps, please do share.

NAD C 275BEE Stereo Power Amplifier | The Audio Co.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Nad appears to be a Class D design. Which means the Rotel would be the better option, especially considering the feedback from others here. If anyone has any info regarding these two amps, please do share.
I believe this particular NAD is a Class A/B design. One of the last few before the switch to Class D entirely.

Thanks @manek

Thanks @arj
Another thought….since his speakers are old then probably a yamaha integrated may not be a bad idea as they have incorporated a little bit of vintage in their looks and tone.

Thanks for looking.
I am based in Assam.

I have a NAD C320BEE amp lying around unused, but the remote is not working.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back