Amp for Elac UB5 Bookshelf

If no vintage then Marantz Dali Spektor should be nice

Try to take your speakers to audition the amp so you have some matching

Denzong, you may want to see this, but only if you can stretch your budget - a big bit.

But then around your price range comes this from a reviewer I like.

Good luck.

Denzong, you may want to see this, but only if you can stretch your budget - a big bit.

But then around your price range comes this from a reviewer I like.

Good luck.
I had seen these. Honestly, I was between Kplisch 600 and Elac UB5. But even if I go with any of these, the amp is not easy to finalise

If music is the only purpose then Monitor Audio Bronze 2 may be a great option. It has better sensitivity so you don't need much powerful amplifier. This speakers can be work effortlessly with most of the amplifier within budget and can make a great combo. Marantz PM6006 may be the great match for them. Both the products are universally acclaimed for better stereo performance. Already Monitor audio has phase out current Bronze series and introduced new so you may get better deal. Yamaha amplifiers are really very powerful and work well but you need to look further like AS501 then entry level. Audition is must un this regards.

I had seen these. Honestly, I was between Kplisch 600 and Elac UB5. But even if I go with any of these, the amp is not easy to finalise
Look at the same zero fidelity site for reviews. To summarise, Klipsch will have a more forward sounding live feel. Treble may be a bit too much on the other hand.

That fellow also does neat comparisons between various speakers and various modestly priced amps. He seems to make sense to me. Perhaps you can use that as a guide.

Each system has a flavour of sound. People prioritise based on what they want. Some want that bass and treble excitement. Some feel that dynamic punch represent live performance. I am happy to sacrifice that punch and dynamics for midrange clarity and tone. You need to know what you prioritise as everything is a compromise.

Generally people talk up what they own as they have invested a lot of time in it. Sometimes people comment on things with authority when they don’t know either! So follow a reviewer for consistency - especially someone who does not speak in absolutes but compares products and brings out nuances. That is why I like zero fidelity. At least the bloke seems to listen and then post!

Best of course is to listen for a long period of time which I presume may be easier where you are - what you like on first listen can come back to bite you so be careful.

Both have valid points and i agree about auditioning. The issue for me is I live in a small town and each time I want to audition I would have to go to a bigger city and that is also only possible on Saturdays.
I was thinking of zeroing on two sets (Kplisch & Elacs and matching amps) so that I can call them in my home and audition. Most of the stores/sellers have easy return policy here with some having return options up to 100 days.

Therefore, some guidance and clarity would help.
Just for reference: In India I had Wharfedale 9 series (BS & FS) plus Heybrooks 2 (really liked these)

Elacs are opposite of wharfedale. You might find them with more bass presence compared to wharfies. Germany gives you so many options, Canton, Magnat, Dynavoice, Dali etc. Access to vintage gears - Jamo, Philips and unlimited variety of amps. I envy you. If you get an opportunity, give a listen to Magnat Transpuls ( I love the vintage look similar to Lintons).
Since you are in Germany, it is better to go for German range of Elacs instead of the American series. Please look at BS.24X range. They are a league above the rest. Elacs need powerful amps. If it is Elacs that you have zeroed on, i would recommend that you can look at mid-segment of amps around $1000 USD.Entry level amps wouldn't do justice to their 4 ohm loads. Think of Denon 2500, Yamaha, Rotel Pre-Power, in that league. Sorry for recommending that would quadruple your budget!!!

I have been advised by someone to try the Dali Spektor 2 and Denon PMA 800NE
You are pampered with choices. If you can audition and buy, nothing like it. If you are going to stick to budget gears, Marantz/Denon/Magnat/Teac have all-in-one amps (CD player+Tuner+amp+network player) which are great value for money provided you speakers which are easier on amps (like Dali). I think you have local Olx kind of app where a lot of vintage gears come up as well. All the best for gear hunting!!!

You are pampered with choices. If you can audition and buy, nothing like it. If you are going to stick to budget gears, Marantz/Denon/Magnat/Teac have all-in-one amps (CD player+Tuner+amp+network player) which are great value for money provided you speakers which are easier on amps (like Dali). I think you have local Olx kind of app where a lot of vintage gears come up as well. All the best for gear hunting!!!
That is the exact problem. The Dali and Denon combo is very much in my budget. But somehow I am not totally convinced. Somehow mind still goes towards Elac or Kplisch

Any views on these amps.

1. Yamaha WYA 50 (as per reviews it can handle the Elacs with 105W for 4O, plus also the Kplisch)
2. Pioneer SX-S30DAB
3. Quad Vena

i am using the ELAC UniFi Slim BSU5, it has essentially similar specs as UB5, as suggested by the manufacturer. It is bit smaller in size with extra colour options. The sound signature is same for both. From personal experience i can tell you that these are power hungry speakers and you need a powerful amplifier. I am using Crown 1502 to power these speakers & it drives them well.
If you are going for a stereo setup i will recommend something like NAD power amp, given that you are in germany. I am myself considering this power amp and possibly hypex500 based amplifier as an upgrade but have not heard them as yet. Extra headroom for driving these speakers always helps.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back