amp for Usher S520 speakers

someone on another forum was selling it. Stevieboy spotted it and told me and I went to Hyderabad and picked it up. I am actually half-considering (although not decided on) selling it. Are you interested?

Psycho,
Where did you deal for getting an used amp?

Hey, Sorry for the replication.

someone on another forum was selling it. Stevieboy spotted it and told me and I went to Hyderabad and picked it up. I am actually half-considering (although not decided on) selling it. Are you interested?

Just want to know about reliable guys selling used amps around chennai. This might help me, while i'm back in for my stereo setup. I currently dropped/delayed them due to personal commitments.

Well currently i have no plan. Just want to know about reliable guys selling used amps around chennai. This might help me, while i'm back in for my stereo setup. I currently dropped/delayed continuing with my setup them due to personal commitments.

Last edited:
@ the OP,if u would consider goin down the DAC route,a forum member is selling a BERESFORD ?7510,at a great price too.should take ur source to a whole new level.do look up the for sale/wanted section.enjoy ur setup.cheers

I might be interested if you are putting up your amp for sale. Just let me know if you are listing it.

Hi,
Presenting my experience with Usher 520 below, and the amp query follows....

I consider myself lucky to have auditioned Usher 520 with Jaton Operetta amp at Surrealistix place. These were not available for demo in Pune/Mumbai... Surrealistix graciaously consented to my request to audition his 520's.

The Operetta is 60w pc RMS Power amp. The source was HTPC + a High end DAC. What I heard was phenomenal to my newbie ears used to Wharfedale 9.2 + Norge-1000 amp. Let me elaborate further on sound coming from 520...

1. Soundstage: At moderately loud volume, it was big in width and height (didn't crank it higher, since I don't listen any louder). All instruments location in 3D field was very well defined. BTW these are very sensitive to Toe-in. Even mild angular changes lead to big changes in soundstage. Contrary to general impression, the bass-presence in soundstage didn't feel lacking.

2. Clarity /Detail: I was auditioning using my regular test compilation. I was hearing new instrument-parts in the old recordings (BeeGess-Nights on Broadway, How deep is your love from 1970's) that I didn't notice in my 9.2+1000 combo. These parts were mainly metallic percussion like Hi-hat beats, shaker /triangle etc. On new recordings... the indian folk Hand-percussion called "Daphli" (i think it's Tamborine in English) from AR Rehman Gajini-Kaise Mujhe Tum mil gaye, sounded like a big drum with such authority that I never heard in Live performance (... It was definately processed in recording mix itself to sound dramatically big) As expected the 9.2 had lot of bass thump in the same Daphli, but the midrange detail that gave kick in 520, was missing in 9.2. Compared to 9.2, I found the Mids and Top end very good and detailed in 520, ... never too shrill or strident (part-credit should also go to its matching with sonics of Operetta amp)

3. Bass extension: All small bookshelves have almost apologetic performance here. While 520 bass is not as low as "almost subwoofer type" bass of 9.2, the amazing point is that I found bass of 520 to be more musical in terms of having right blend of low and high harmonics. Thogh I am a sucker for deep bass, I NEVER found 520 to be anemic.

I also heard 520 with the Chip amp in the quote below. It's unfair to compare this chipamp (@10k approx) with Operetta (@80k? approx), but surprisingly I found it to be 60% (approx) as good at fraction of the price of Operetta.

These 520 can sound good with budget amp and extremely good with high end amps.

Query: I am looking beond NAD 350 /Marantz 7001 class of amps. Can anybody with experience suggest an amp in 40k range that can give solid soundstage /detail /bass-impact to Ushers (I am open to used integrated/power amps) Since my listening levels can be satified even with 40w pc, I am hoping its possible to find such amp even in this budget... Thanks in advnace!!

Regds,
Sonosphere

I built a Chip amp (LM 3875) to go with myS520s and use a Squeezebox as source. The setup sounds pretty good.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back