Amp fried_What's next?!!

Music Freak

Hi all,

I had connected my Yamaha-AX390 Amp to a spike buster. I was enjoying some hard rock music through Pioneer FS-52 Speakers. After a while., I sensed a burning smell, however, couldn't figure out the source!! I think I left a bit too long until I noticed a spark and also smoke from the back of the amp. I immediately turned off the spike buster, disconnected from the mains, removed the connected speaker terminals from the amplifier. I observed that the spike buster's fuse was blown. Also, checked the circuit of the amp later. I didn't find any burnt scars in & around the components.

I got a new Belkin 8-socket surge protector and now I have to contact a technician in order to get the Amp repaired. Since this is my first Amp, got it through Quikr for 12K & the first bad experience with my Hi-Fi set up , I have few questions. Please clarify.

1) Is the damage big or it's normal & can be fixed easily ?

2) What will be the cost of the repair ? Even if the repair costs half of my purchase price, I think I will discard it & go for a new one.

Thanks!

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your burnt Amp.There must be some burns in the power section or preamp section. Best take it to the technician and know the exact issue first ,They Might charge 500 to 1000 for checking. If there is any Power section issue or preamp section issue, then easily it would cost you 2500-4000 for fixing the same.

But once the repair is made, then Resale value is almost 20-30 percent of your original purchased prize only.So anything around 2000 is worth to spend ,just my personal opinion .

Thank you for your response. Yes, spending a lot doesn't seem to be right idea; might as well buy a new one. I will visit the technician soon & enquire about the cost. Hope my speakers aren't affected by this & are at their best still!

Thanks! :)

Nothing to worry. Yamaha service guys can fix this easily. Usually a switching transistor or a capacitor would blow in the power supply. I don't understand why resale value would change because of repair that too for a used amp.

Cheers

As dramatic these smoky and sparky burn outs are, they are actually the easy ones to fix. This is simply because the faulty components and the root cause, can be easily identified. In such cases, your regulator transistors, or the filter caps or the tranny itself may have to be replaced, depending on which of these has blown. Usually when the regulator transistors blow, they actually crack and smoke. The burning smell suggests something has over heated and blown, possibly the tranny. A technician who has spares at hand should take no more than 30 minutes for the repair job.

I have come across spike protectors with an inbuilt power regulator (kind of like a version of our common domestic voltage stabilizer). In my opinion its better to avoid these. Its safer to use the ones with passive spike protection. I once had one and it fried an old TV at home. On checking the output, we noticed that spike protector was actually was feeding the TV with 310 volts instead of 230 volts. It was immediately scrapped :)

Agree with Anil. Resale value will not be effected but the caveat here is that original OEM spares need to be used. Also giving the equipment to an authorized service center and maintaining service history, helps. The moment one uses substitutes, and if the buyer is knowledgeable and checks, the offer price is likely to drop.

Last edited:
Ok Sir,

Let me not get too deep into the Top, Does Repair history affects the Resale value. But Personally, I dont trust the local technician or dealers , I have seen ample of TV and amplifiers laying out in the mechanic shops due to the "Un availability" of Original spars and sometimes they fix with the knowledge they have.

More over, the cost you spend on the Services cannot be claimed in the Resale value too.

In my Opinion,I do prefer Un-serviced amps than to Serviced One.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you for your responses; have been helpful and also given me an assurance that the damage isn't as big as I thought initially & also, I'm now thinking about contacting the Yamaha service center than the local technician.

I will update you once I get this fixed.

Thanks!

don't know about power situation in Bangalore ....I have been using MX2717 for the past 5 yrs in Mumbai ...for my all Marantz gear ...no issues as of now ...Marantz Pm7001 also has that auto detection feature ...so it will cut off the circuit and prevent any damage to the amp

OMG... I m using Anchor spike busters as well.

Thanks Varun for sharing the info.

I'll switch to MX or Belkin...

All parts of all amplifiers are available, only one needs to spend. generally Semiconductor burn in these summer days because it can not dissipate heat in atmosphere, cross max range of their sustainable temperature.
It depends on repair, generally if no JUGAD is made then it works as new.

Hi,
Spike guards fuse blown indicates problem in preceding equipment. I don't understand electronics but some times kink develops in power cord where it bends. Do check if there is a short developed at amplifier's power cord.
Regards.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back