amp + front drivers under 35K

arun

Hi friends,
I'm planning to build a sound system for my drawing room(250 sq ft). usage would be 80% music and 20% movies. my initial budget is 35k. My first confusion is deciding between an amp and an av receiver. please give ur expert opinion as to which of these will be better for me. also suggest front speakers to go along with them. also where can i buy these in delhi.
thanks

You should get a good entry level amp like the NAD 320BEE or Cambridge Audio 540A or a entry level receiver like the Denon 1707 for 20K. For the remaining 15K you could get a pair of bookshelves like the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 or Wharfedale Diamonds 9.2

You could also contact a member here by name of Denon1905. See the post at http://www.hifivision.com/sale/241-denon-1905-athena-speakers-7-1-sale.html

Seems like a great deal.

Last edited:
thanx cyrus.
do you have any idea of the dealers of the above products in delhi.
Thanks once again in advance.

thanx cyrus.
do you have any idea of the dealers of the above products in delhi.
Thanks once again in advance.

For Wharfedale:

TRINITY SOUND AND VISION
R5 GK 1,
New Delhi.
Tel: 26215222, 26425222.

For Monitor Audio

Contact Mr. Sushil Anand
Mr. Sanjay Thakur
T 91-22-26 00 7700
v 91-22-26 05 4709

For NAD

LA-KOZY ELECTRONICS AND SERVICES

Showroom No.3, La-kozy Mansion, 21, Chowpatty Seaface, Mumbai ? 400 007
Tel 91-22-2369 7001/2 Fax : 91-22-2369 8001

For Cambridge Audio

Mr. Shivraj
Mobile: +91-9811271606

For Denon

Trinity Sound & Vision
Contact Person Mr.Sandeep Jain
Address R-5, Greater Kailash
New Delhi - 48
Contact No. Mob:098106-10306
Ph:011-26215222, 011-26425222, 011-27218282
Fax:51631516

I would also suggest you to check out the Brand New Mordaunt ? Short Avant 904 Floorstanders for sale here. You may get it for your asking price.

Friends,
please help me out. I dont think there are any dealers in delhi who have these components because most of the people were operating from residential areas and have now closed down due to the ongoing sealing drive in delhi.
Even the Lakozy impex people have not responded to my two e-mails.
Now i have decided that i wont audition different brands but straight away order them from their dealers from anywhere in india. For this i would request all you experts to please recommend me your choice for my budget. I think i'll go for the amp/ receiver and speakers that have the maximum recommendations.
So friends please help me out. A very big thanks to all in advance.

Arun

Last edited:
Just like to add that i've just been to one showroom. they had Yamaha 5.1 RXV- 359 ( 20K), pioneer VSX 416 (23K)and vsx 516 (28k). But he had no speakers to give me the demo.( such is the state here in delhi !!!). Moreover i'm more inclined towards amp which they didn't have.
Any suggestions regarding these.
Thanks,
Arun

Since the system will mainly be used for music (80/20) I suggest you look to Marantz for an AV receiver. The SR4600 should suit your neeeds.

For speakers a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's (around 12k), Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i (around 12k), Monitor Audio's BR 2, or Athena's should be within you budget.

You can later add the rest (center -should be from the same manufacturer, surrounds, and sub) of the peripherals to complete a HT set up.

I strongly suggest AGAINST BUYING THE SYSTEM WITHOUT LISTENING TO EACH COMPONENT. The risk of not liking how the system sounds is quite high. You may end up regretting paying for something which does not suit your tastes.

Call the dealers in Delhi. In my experience not many dealers reply to an email.

Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks paj4x4.
I've spoken to a local dealer. Marantz sr4600 is available for 23K in delhi. He also has Tannoy fusion 2 bookshelves for 18 K per pair.
NAD C320BEE is available for 21.5K at lakozy impex.
Wharfedale diamond 9.2 for 15 K
Denon 1306 rec for 20 K

Are these prices ok

I have more or less decided to go for the wharfedale 9.2s. Now my main confusion is to decide between the NAD320 and the Marantz SR4600( or the Denon 1306 for that matter). will the marantz receiver be as good as the NAD for music listening? will the wharfedale 9.2 sound powerfull with the stereo output of the Marantz?

Thanks once again for the help

The prices you quoted are in line with current market prices.

Are you going to use the system strictly for 2 channel music listening? Or are you planning to expand your set up to a HT set up in the future? If the system will be strictly for music go with the NAD. In my view the SR4600 will not be able to deliver the same stereo quality of NAD - NAD is a dedicated 2 channel integrated amp whilst the SR4600 is a surround/AV receiver.

If the answer to the 2nd question is yes then go with the SR4600.

I would go for the Wharfedale 9.1 over the 9.2. This is my own personal opinion. I cannot comment on the Tannoy's as I have had not had the chance to audition a set.

Thanks. I do plan to upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system in future in a step by step way but at the same time i do not want to compromise on the stereo sound quality. thats why i plan to invest in equipment which i need not change ( though i may add on) for the next , say 6-7 years.

I suggest you audition both the NAD C320BEE and the Marantz 4600 for 2 channel music listening. But I'll tell you now the NAD C320BEE will sound better simply because it was specifically made for stereo listening.

For pure stereo listening bliss the NAD 320BEE is the way to go. I had recommended the Wharfedale 9.2 cause it has a larger 6.5" driver compared to the 9.1.

It would be best to listen to both of them and then decide which one would suit your listening taste.

Guys !Time to take the plunge.
Speakers: wharfedale 9.2 bookshelves
Receiver:
A) Denon 1507 ( 23.5 k)
or
B) Marantz SR4600 (23K)
point favouring denon - has autosetup.
against- no preouts for speakers

For marantz- has preouts for speakers for connecting to an amp in future .
against- no autosetup

cyrus, paj4x4 your take on this.
thanks

one more thing i like to add is that i particularly love the heavy bass notes in songs even when the volume is minimal. today i auditioned the denon 1507 with jamo 406 speakers . the sound was great otherwise, but for the bass i was craving for more. havn't heard the marantz 4600 yet. any comparisons regarding this?

Since you'll use the system mainly for music (80-20) I think the Marantz is the way to go. Marantz in my experience is more musical than Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo.

Is the auto set up important? Depends on the person. I for one did not use the auto set up feature of my Onkyo 604.

What's the bass management feature of the Denon 1507? Does it allow you to set different cross-over points per channel? Note that the Marantz 4600 only sets one cross - over point for all channels (80, 100, and 120).

Audition the 4600 preferably with the speakers you're planning to buy before you decide.

If you're after more bass then the 9.2 will give you that over the 9.1 owing to a larger driver. You should consider adding a sub later on for more bass for your music. Personally I'd go for a 9.1 (better detail than the 9.2) and a sub (for the bass you need) combo...this should rock.

Keep us posted!

[I would go for the Wharfedale 9.1 over the 9.2. This is my own personal opinion. I cannot comment on the Tannoy's as I have had not had the chance to audition a set.[/QUOTE]

Indeed,I also felt the 9.1,though deceptively small, sounded far better than the 9.2.

Hi friends. Sorry for the hibernation. Actually this Trinity sounds guy ( dealer for
wharfedale) is driving me nuts. its been almost a month now since i've ordered for a pair of diamond 9.1s but this guy seem busier than Bill gates. I've called him more than twenty times but every time his reply is that they have not received the speakers from mumbai.
Can anyone suggest me some other dealer for diamond 9.1s in or outside delhi

Get in touch directly with the Wharfedale dealer for India - Designer Audio India. They are based in Mumbai. Contact number is - 23520320. Email address is - [email protected] Look for Kshitij Shah.

I'm sure he can arrange transport of a pair of 9.1's to Delhi for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks paj4x4 for the information.
One query for cyrus ! Cyrus you have mentioned in one of ur posts that denon 1907 is retailing at 26k. can u please tell me who is giving it at this price?
thanks in advance.

One query for cyrus ! Cyrus you have mentioned in one of ur posts that denon 1907 is retailing at 26k. can u please tell me who is giving it at this price?
thanks in advance.

You can get it for that price in the grey market (without bill and warranty)!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back