amp.overheating

Amitn73me

hi guys i have yamaha yht-195 htib and it has yamaha htr 6130 amp.it has volume level from -80db to +16db,now i want to ask when i start increasing volume more and more,my amp. also start heating and at volume level of appx. -20db i even cannot put my hand on amp. for 2 seconds it becomes very hot.i want to ask is this situation is normal for all the amp. or there is something wrong with my avr.also i want to ask those people who have yht-195 do u have such kind of problem with ur amp?
experts please provide info & solution:sad:

Yes, normally they tend to become very hot. Nowadays the warm weather only adds to it. Do you have adequate ventilation for the AVR?

Check this post for some ideas/ solution

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/4372-antec-veris-av-cooler.html#post47977

thanks friend do u mean that heating i have mentioned is not an issue,it's normal? does that much heating wont damage avr? and yes i have leaved 5" space above & 1ft behind avr and rest sides are open.

Why don't you cellotape the mercury bulb of a thermometer to the chassis and get some readings after a minute? It might help to put a number to the problem description.

Regards

But please use a laboratory thermometer and NOT a clinical thermometer!
Take the reading when you feel it has really become hot.

You have adequate ventilation, but it is normal for the AVR to become very hot. In fact there's sticker on top of my Onkyo AVR which says that.

But if you can keep the temperatures low then you will extend the life of your receiver.

If its worrying you -
Take a sheet of plywood, drill a square hole the size of a 120mm SMPS/PC fan bracket and 4 screw holes around the sides. Buy a silent 120mm PC fan and a silent SMPS, attach the fan to the plywood, connect the smps and leave it somewhere in the cabinet as far as the cables can go.

Place the ply with a 1cm clearing gap at minimum over the AVR.

I dunno if finding a 12" x17" aluminium heatsink type panel can be found easily but that would be even better. Aluminium can be placed directly on the AVR.

Cheers

hi guys i have yamaha yht-195 htib and it has yamaha htr 6130 amp.it has volume level from -80db to +16db,now i want to ask when i start increasing volume more and more,my amp. also start heating and at volume level of appx. -20db i even cannot put my hand on amp. for 2 seconds it becomes very hot.i want to ask is this situation is normal for all the amp. or there is something wrong with my avr.also i want to ask those people who have yht-195 do u have such kind of problem with ur amp?
experts please provide info & solution:sad:

Firstly am no expert on AVRs or HTIBs.
Some AVRs do heat up to a point when u cant place your hand on them for a few seconds. At moderate volumes does this happen ? How soon does this amp reach this hot temperature? Am guessing u are over driving it. U seem to have adequate ventilation so this kind of operating temperature seems unacceptable.
Rgds

Am guessing u are over driving it. U seem to have adequate ventilation so this kind of operating temperature seems unacceptable.

I agree. I had the very basic YHT-165 few years back and it never heated up. I used it for several hours on end and it would be mildly warm to the touch. Certainly not so hot that you can fry eggs on it. I suspected poor ventilation at first but you have eliminated that possibility. What speakers are you driving with it? Have you replaced the stock satellites that come in this package?

The manufacturers of AVRs do not expect the ambient temperature to go above 20 to 25 degrees Celsius. That is the assumption with which the internal designs are made and the parts chosen. Onkyo, for example, uses push-pull at the output stage. This allows the amplifiers to act as a Class B unit, but generate tremendous heat.

Given the heat we have in India, I don't think any AVR should be used in an non-air conditioned room. For amps that generate lots of heat, companies such as Asus have a AV Cooler that pushes more air through the AVR. Of course, as has been mentioned above, you can also fabricate your own cooler. Forced movement of air around the AVR will be highly beneficial, however you do it.

Cheers

Firstly am no expert on AVRs or HTIBs.
Some AVRs do heat up to a point when u cant place your hand on them for a few seconds. At moderate volumes does this happen ? How soon does this amp reach this hot temperature? Am guessing u are over driving it. U seem to have adequate ventilation so this kind of operating temperature seems unacceptable.
Rgds

thanks as i stated it has volume level from -80db to +16db and at the volume level of -20 to -15 db it gets started heating so high and i have to turn volume knob to this level as at the volume level of -40db i can start getting sound from speakers.

I agree. I had the very basic YHT-165 few years back and it never heated up. I used it for several hours on end and it would be mildly warm to the touch. Certainly not so hot that you can fry eggs on it. I suspected poor ventilation at first but you have eliminated that possibility. What speakers are you driving with it? Have you replaced the stock satellites that come in this package?

no not replaced speakers that came with it.

gobble thanks for your both suggestion but first i should come to know whether this heating with my amp.is normal or not because if it is not then first thing which i am gonna do is call yamaha service center and get it replaced as it has been only month when i purchased it.

venkat thanks for ur comment on various classes u mentioned for diffrent amps. i know that class B amp.gets heated and class D amp. remain cool but can u provide me info that to which class my amp.belongs so that i can come to know about it's heating fact.it's yamaha HTR-6130.
thanks in advance.

If its worrying you -
Take a sheet of plywood, drill a square hole the size of a 120mm SMPS/PC fan bracket and 4 screw holes around the sides. Buy a silent 120mm PC fan and a silent SMPS, attach the fan to the plywood, connect the smps and leave it somewhere in the cabinet as far as the cables can go.

Place the ply with a 1cm clearing gap at minimum over the AVR.

I dunno if finding a 12" x17" aluminium heatsink type panel can be found easily but that would be even better. Aluminium can be placed directly on the AVR.

Cheers

This is not going to look nice. Did you check my laptop cooler method mentioned in the 1st reply?

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/3629-diy-cooling-system-amp.html#post36591

This sucks the hot air from inside AVR and blows out the air from the sides. Your method will only blow it to top, and hence the heat will not escape completely, as only 5 inches gap is available.

I find my method very effective, cheap and easy to install. Even after 1 hour of high volume music, my AVR becomes only luke warm. Earlier it used to get too hot to even touch.

I have connected the laptop cooler to adapter which is plugged into a wireless plug. http://gadget.brando.com.hk/wire-to...ng-ir-remote-control-plug_p00808c038d001.html

So I can even switch cooler on/off with my remote. In fact I have programmed into all AVR related "activities" using my Harmony remote, so it always comes only when I run my AVR:cool:

Last edited:
i know that class B amp.gets heated and class D amp. remain cool but can u provide me info that to which class my amp.belongs so that i can come to know about it's heating fact.it's yamaha HTR-6130.

I am afraid, I don't have the information. I can only make some guesses, and hopefully some one else will confirm the actual class.

I am guessing the 6130 cannot be class C. Though highly efficient, Class C tends to create tremendous distortion and will need some smart circuit designs to remove the distortion. Generally at the price range of the 6130, manufacturers would be tempted to deploy Class D amplifiers using pulse width modulation. But then Class D amplifiers are supposed to generate very low heat. So that is ruled out.

So as Sherlock Holmes said when you remove all possibilities what remains, however improbable, is true. Given the fact that your amplifier heats up a lot, I am guessing it is Class A-B.

Cheers

Hi Amit
i had similar problem though my Yamah RX V 361 never got so hot. i can easily keep my hand on it even after 3 hours of use (my tolerance may be better but still must be within normal range).

to get better volume at same dB, you can increase SP level to maximum(in the settings )and you can put your input level(eg DVD) to maximum in input settings. with these settings, i rarely have to go to less than -35dB.

Yamaha's get hot but not to the point that you cannot touch the cabinet. I believe that either the speaker are being driven too hard or there might be an issue with the AVR.

Do you hear any distortion when drving at -15db (which is actually very lound on the Yamaha scale). Ideally you should have it around -24 or atmost -20

I would look into installing a fan in your cabinet and ensure there is ventilation all around.

Re; the other poster who suggest a min 1 cm gap betweent the AVR and the ply, its too narrow. You should have atleast a 2 inches for the air to circulate well esp. if its in a non AC room.

Yamaha's get hot but not to the point that you cannot touch the cabinet. I believe that either the speaker are being driven too hard or there might be an issue with the AVR.

Do you hear any distortion when drving at -15db (which is actually very lound on the Yamaha scale). Ideally you should have it around -24 or atmost -20

I would look into installing a fan in your cabinet and ensure there is ventilation all around.

Re; the other poster who suggest a min 1 cm gap betweent the AVR and the ply, its too narrow. You should have atleast a 2 inches for the air to circulate well esp. if its in a non AC room.

hi marsilians
thanks for the reply,i spoke to the service guy of yamaha and he said that this type of heating is normal to the amp.he said amp. get heated even after playback of half an hour however i have changed some settings and now it only gets warm or bit more then that after playing it for about 1.5hrs. of playback and now i am also gonna try jaudere's solution also.
and yes sound does not get distorted at volume level of -15 to -20db and my all speakers volume at present is at 0db(i have leaved 4" space on the top,1ft from back and from rest side it's open,my room is non a/c)
please do provide your suggestion also so that i should not have to drive my amp.volume till -15to -20db.
thanks.

Last edited:
hi marsilians
thanks for the reply,i spoke to the service guy of yamaha and he said that this type of heating is normal to the amp.he said amp. get heated even after playback of half an hour however i have changed some settings and now it only gets warm or bit more then that after playing it for about 1.5hrs. of playback and now i am also gonna try jaudere's solution also.
and yes sound does not get distorted at volume level of -15 to -20db and my all speakers volume at present is at 0db(i have leaved 4" space on the top,1ft from back and from rest side it's open,my room is non a/c)
please do provide your suggestion also so that i should not have to drive my amp.volume till -15to -20db.
thanks.

what settings did you change so its not getting as hot as before?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back