Amplifier for old SONY hifi Music System MHC-GNV111D

shankychauhan

Hi all,

I bought a Sony MHC-GNV111d in 2005. Its main unit (amplifier) is not working . I have bought a SONY LED TV. I want to use the speaker set came with the hi-fi as home theater system.

Below is the configuration of unit and speaker set:

Continuos RMS Power Output:

Front Speakers(2 speakers) : 160 W + 160 W ( 6 ohms at 1khz, 10%THD)

Center Speakers : 80 W (16ohms at 1khz,105 THD)

Surround Speakers(2 speakers) : 160 W + 160 W ( 6 ohms at 1khz,10%THD)

Kindly suggest an amplifier to run these speakers and connect it to LED TV.Also suggest if the amplifier comes with a USB option so that i can play songs or movies.

Thanks,
Shanky

if you wish to power up all the speakers for surround, you would need an AVR . Denon 500BT would be a cheap, good option.

if you wish to power up all the speakers for surround, you would need an AVR . Denon 500BT would be a cheap, good option.

Thanks bro, i don't know much about AV systems. I just want to use the speakers as mentioned. Is there any cheaper option available ? under 10000 INR.

5.1 AVR should start round 20K (like Yamaha HTR-2067).
You can check out "Sale by Owner" section or olx/quikr for any used AVR, you may find one around your budget.
Reliance Digital & Croma stock some entry level AVR, you should be able to check out those near you easily.
Gurgaon MGF mall is another place where you can find few dealers for Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc.

Hi

If you need an amplifier just to drive the leftover speakers from your sony system, by all means buy any 2.0 amplifier.

If you need surround sound or 2.1 / 5.1 system you have 2 options. Both will not use your current speakers.

1. Either get a HTIB (home theater in a box) which will have either 2.1 or 5.1 configuration. The prices are from 1500 ~ 50000.

2. Get an AVR and get matching speakers and go bananas.

take your pick.

Hi all,

I bought a Sony MHC-GNV111d in 2005. Its main unit (amplifier) is not working . I have bought a SONY LED TV. I want to use the speaker set came with the hi-fi as home theater system.

Kindly suggest an amplifier to run these speakers and connect it to LED TV.Also suggest if the amplifier comes with a USB option so that i can play songs or movies.

Thanks,
Shanky

Have you tried getting the original main unit repaired from Sony service? It will prove to be better match for you speakers than any other amplifier you may buy. Main unit will have an "AUX" option available that you can then use to connect with your LED TV.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Shanky

Hi,

I understand your situation. Been in it with my Sony VX8.

To be able to run all the speakers, you would need a 5.1 receiver. The front and the surrounds are fine. Most receivers would be able to power them, however, the center channel being 16 ohms, you would need to careful. Not many receivers support 16ohms.

MaSh

Hi,

The speakers seem to be rated at 10% THD. Is it really worth looking for an AVR and using these as fronts? I do not think so. Given the dubious ratings, the speakers would be only good for rear duties or at best basic stereo duties.

I would be looking into building a HT from start, If I were you.

If you don't need the HDMI functionality and can make use of the TV's Optical/co-axial output, then you can scout for used AVR's in OLX for around 10K... There are plenty of them...

The speakers specs look fine and can be used with any AVR...

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and support. Last year,due to shortage of time, I bought a local amplifier just to connect those speakers to the TVand it was working fine till last week.

I am coming to India next month and planning to buy an AV receiver as suggested.

I found below on souq.com. (an i believe it is quite cheap too as compared ot one on amazon,other sites)

Kindly check this :
https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/sherwood-r-507-receiver-black-9050621/i/#Description

Product Specification:

Brand: Sherwood
Model: R-507 / DTS-ES(Discrete/Matrix)
Color: Black
R-507 5.1ch A/V receiver
5.1 channels A/V receiver 100w/ch with 3 HDMI inputs and front USB input
3 In / 1 Out HDMI Repeater (3D/ARC/CEC)
75W x 2ch (20Hz-20kHz, 6 ohms, THD 0.1percent/Stereo Mode)
100W x 5ch (20Hz-20kHz, 6 ohms, THD 1percent/Only Channel Driven)
Advanced 32-bit Processing DSP Chip
Front USB Input : MP3/WAV/WMA/AAC
Quartz Synthesized Digital Tuning
5 DSP Modes (Theater/Hall/Game/Stadium/Multi Ch Stereo)

Please suggest if this will be good to run those speakers(160x X 4 + 80w ). Thanks again for your support.

also this one

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/sherwood-r-807-7-1ch-a-v-receiver-351500021/u/#Description
in INR 12000

Product Specification:
- Color Coded Terminal- Headphone Jack- Remote Controller- Color Availability : Black- Dimension(WxHxD) : 435x138x379mm- Weight(Net) : 8.5Kg- HD Audio Decoding- Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus- DTS-HD(Master Audio/High Resolution Audio)- Legacy Audio Decoding- Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Prologic llz- DTS-ES(Discrete/Matrix)- DTS 96/24, DTS Neo6 (Cinema/Music)- 5 In / 1 Out HDMI Repeater (3D/ARC/CEC)- World 1st WiFi-Direct Built-in AV Receiver- Free Sherwood Application for both iOS and Android- Internet Radio / Media Server- Front USB Input : MP3/WAV/WMA/AAC- Graphic OSD- One Touch Automatic Speaker Setup- 192kHz/24bit D/A Converter (All Channel)- 2 Zone Multi Room / Multi Source for Audio

Amplifier Feature:
- 100W x 7ch (20Hz~20kHz, 6?, THD 1%/Only Channel Driven)- 75W x 2ch (20Hz20kHz, 6?, THD 0.1%/Stereo Mode)- Heavy Duty Speaker Binding Post- Assignable 2 Channel Power Amp (Surround Back L/R, Room2 or Bi-Amp)
Tuner Feature:
- Quartz Synthesized Digital Tuning- 30 Stations Preset- RDS Function : PS, TA, RT and PTY(Europe Version Only)
Key Feature:
- HD Audio Decoding- Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus- DTS-HD(Master Audio/High Resolution Audio)- Legacy Audio Decoding- Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Prologic llz- DTS-ES(Discrete/Matrix)- DTS 96/24, DTS Neo6 (Cinema/Music)- 5 In / 1 Out HDMI Repeater (3D/ARC/CEC)- World 1st WiFi-Direct Built-in AV Receiver- Free Sherwood Application for both iOS and Android- Internet Radio / Media Server- Front USB Input : MP3/WAV/WMA/AAC- Graphic OSD- One Touch Automatic Speaker Setup- 192kHz/24bit D/A Converter (All Channel)- 2 Zone Multi Room / Multi Source for Audio
General Feature:
- Color Coded Terminal- Headphone Jack- Remote Controller- Color Availability : Black- Dimension(WxHxD) : 435x138x379mm- Weight(Net) : 8.5Kg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back