Amplifier for Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2

sadnabrina

OBJECTIVE: I am looking for either a
a) Power Amplifier with around 100+ W / 8 ? preferably with 2 speaker outs but one will also do
OR
b) Integrated Amplifier with 100+W / 8? with at least 2 speaker outs and 5 input sources.

The target is to drive my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 (rated 130W/8?) for a fairly largish room between 250 and 300 sqft.

1. Audio preference =
Music: 90% - 2 ch; Audio CD; Vocals; Indian Instrumental;
Movies: 10% - 2 ch DVD
2. Budget = Rs. 18K slightly stretchable
3. Room Size (Length x Breadth x Height = squarish around 270 sqft with 11' ceiling
4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = Denon DVD player with a decent DAC.
5. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = Y
6. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2, Sonodyne Sia 208 R - more details below

I am considering 2 options -

1) Utilize the existing Sonodyne Sia 208R Int Amp - Can have a Power Amp added to the pre-out of the IA and
a) Drive the LF through the Power Amp while the Mid/High through the existing IA.
or
b) If the Power Amp has A-B Speaker outs then can bi-wire the speakers using A and B outs.

This is based on the view that some have shared that the Sonus 2605's perform best if bi-wired and/or bi-amped

2) Totally replace the existing Sonodyne Sia 208R Int Amp and get an altogether new more powerful Int Amp. In this case my budget would also increase by around 5K (assuming I can get 5K by selling the 2 year old, very well maintained, spotless IA :cool:). Would prefer a IA with 2 speaker outs for the same reason mentioned above.

All suggestions are welcome, especially if it comes from people who have live/auditioning experience with a similar setup.

Thanks in advance!

AD

OBJECTIVE: I am looking for either a
a) Power Amplifier with around 100+ W / 8 ? preferably with 2 speaker outs but one will also do
OR
b) Integrated Amplifier with 100+W / 8? with at least 2 speaker outs and 5 input sources.

The target is to drive my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 (rated 130W/8?) for a fairly largish room between 250 and 300 sqft.

1. Audio preference =
Music: 90% - 2 ch; Audio CD; Vocals; Indian Instrumental;
Movies: 10% - 2 ch DVD
2. Budget = Rs. 18K slightly stretchable
3. Room Size (Length x Breadth x Height = squarish around 270 sqft with 11' ceiling
4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = Denon DVD player with a decent DAC.
5. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = Y
6. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2, Sonodyne Sia 208 R - more details below

I am considering 2 options -

1) Utilize the existing Sonodyne Sia 208R Int Amp - Can have a Power Amp added to the pre-out of the IA and
a) Drive the LF through the Power Amp while the Mid/High through the existing IA.
or
b) If the Power Amp has A-B Speaker outs then can bi-wire the speakers using A and B outs.

This is based on the view that some have shared that the Sonus 2605's perform best if bi-wired and/or bi-amped

2) Totally replace the existing Sonodyne Sia 208R Int Amp and get an altogether new more powerful Int Amp. In this case my budget would also increase by around 5K (assuming I can get 5K by selling the 2 year old, very well maintained, spotless IA :cool:). Would prefer a IA with 2 speaker outs for the same reason mentioned above.

All suggestions are welcome, especially if it comes from people who have live/auditioning experience with a similar setup.

Thanks in advance!

AD

For your budget of 18K, you can get an used solid power amplifier... I had Sonodyne SPA 202 stereo power amplifier which i gave it to my friend very recently...

If you get a power amplifier, you have the option of Bi-Amping it, if you wish to..

It was me who shared the view that Sonodyne Sonus 2605 is good when it is bi-amped in this forum in a diff thread...

I am currently using it with an other Solid receiver of Onkyo, the bass is good even with out bi-amping...(My earlier receiver was Marantz...) So the speakers behaves differently with different receivers...

In Bi-Amping, HF is only tweeter, LF is Midrange + Woofers

For your budget of 18K, you can get an used solid power amplifier... I had Sonodyne SPA 202 stereo power amplifier which i gave it to my friend very recently...

If you get a power amplifier, you have the option of Bi-Amping it, if you wish to..

It was me who shared the view that Sonodyne Sonus 2605 is good when it is bi-amped in this forum in a diff thread...

I am currently using it with an other Solid receiver of Onkyo, the bass is good even with out bi-amping...(My earlier receiver was Marantz...) So the speakers behaves differently with different receivers...

In Bi-Amping, HF is only tweeter, LF is Midrange + Woofers

@ elangoas, yes I have seen your thread and we had exchanged a few PMs earlier before I purchased the Sonus towers. I had been using the Sia 208s for some time now and what I find is the amp simply can't drive the speakers in low and moderate volumes. Thus was looking for an upgrade of the Amp and thus is this thread.
Any pointers on where I can find a good used amp?

@ elangoas, yes I have seen your thread and we had exchanged a few PMs earlier before I purchased the Sonus towers. I had been using the Sia 208s for some time now and what I find is the amp simply can't drive the speakers in low and moderate volumes. Thus was looking for an upgrade of the Amp and thus is this thread.
Any pointers on where I can find a good used amp?

Oh k.... You can scout from this forum itself for used genuine products......

Open a thread in Wanted section of classifieds for used power amplifier and ppl will contact you with offers...

Happy hunting...

Hi iam a new member.
I bought sonodyne sonus 2605 V3 this year jan. At present I have 15 years old cosmic concert 3 stereo integrated amplifier 35+35 RMS at 8ohms. Amp is working really well. But feels difficult to drive this 130 rms speaker. So planning to buy one with a little high power (70watt+ per channel). I have tried some amps like YAMAHA AS 500, AS300, Norge Ref2000, Norge Power without Pre Amp, Marantz PM6004. And also considering onkyo A9050, Harman kardon HK3490, Sherwood AX5505.
Among All these which I have demo d, norge power sounds good without any distortions(for my liking). Smooth treble, soft mid and the bass was really a highlight. Its tight and well controlled. No need for sub-woofer. I was listening both Yamaha as500 and norge power1200pro side by side with sonodyne sonus2605V3. But the unfortunate thing is norge power1200pro doesnt have remote and have only one line in. Some forum members mentioned that the norge pre is not up to the mark. The next amp I liked is Marantz pm6004. I am not comparing norge power1200 and Marantz PM6004. Coz Ive tried the pm6004 with monitor audio speaker. No doubt the details and the sound stage are really good in PM6004. The only question is the power to drive my sonus2605. No idea about Marantz PM7004. And too the price is high.
Sherwood is in tempting price. Onkyo is with built-in DAC. But the sound Quality? I Dont know.
My hunt for the amp is still active. Someone please help me to choose. I like Warm sound. Prolonged listening. My main preference is music listening. Sometimes watching movie in this setup.
One more thing to add. Ive demo d the norge and Yamaha with the dealer, where Ive purchased the sonodyne speaker. So I asked him to have a home demo of Yamaha as500 and norge power1200pro and he agreed. But time constrain. And also confused.

Hi iam a new member.
I bought sonodyne sonus 2605 V3 this year jan. At present I have 15 years old cosmic concert 3 stereo integrated amplifier 35+35 RMS at 8ohms. Amp is working really well. But feels difficult to drive this 130 rms speaker. So planning to buy one with a little high power (70watt+ per channel). I have tried some amps like YAMAHA AS 500, AS300, Norge Ref2000, Norge Power without Pre Amp, Marantz PM6004. And also considering onkyo A9050, Harman kardon HK3490, Sherwood AX5505.
Among All these which I have demo d, norge power sounds good without any distortions(for my liking). Smooth treble, soft mid and the bass was really a highlight. Its tight and well controlled. No need for sub-woofer. I was listening both Yamaha as500 and norge power1200pro side by side with sonodyne sonus2605V3. But the unfortunate thing is norge power1200pro doesnt have remote and have only one line in. Some forum members mentioned that the norge pre is not up to the mark. The next amp I liked is Marantz pm6004. I am not comparing norge power1200 and Marantz PM6004. Coz Ive tried the pm6004 with monitor audio speaker. No doubt the details and the sound stage are really good in PM6004. The only question is the power to drive my sonus2605. No idea about Marantz PM7004. And too the price is high.
Sherwood is in tempting price. Onkyo is with built-in DAC. But the sound Quality? I Dont know.
My hunt for the amp is still active. Someone please help me to choose. I like Warm sound. Prolonged listening. My main preference is music listening. Sometimes watching movie in this setup.
One more thing to add. Ive demo d the norge and Yamaha with the dealer, where Ive purchased the sonodyne speaker. So I asked him to have a home demo of Yamaha as500 and norge power1200pro and he agreed. But time constrain. And also confused.

Even HK 3490 has biult in DAC & seems to be a really capable amp....I had read a detailed review of this amplifier somewhere...It was capable of producing 100W of cont power to each channel in stereo mode....

harman/kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver Review | Audioholics

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoreceiverreviews/fr/HK3490.htm

AV Receiver Reviews: Harman Kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver

Yamaha AS500 is also capable of driving the Sonus 2605 with ease....I had listened to Yamaha AX 497 paired with Sonus 2605....They were really impressive...

Of the two HK 3490 has more guts to run the Sonus 2605...

Very recently i had suggested my friend an used HK receiver AVR 4000 & Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS....It is a very good match...

thanks mr. elango.
actually i went to the shop to buy yamaha ns8390. that time i heard this sonus2605. then i read your review and some reviews in the net about this speaker and bought it. so thanks for that too. Do you know any Harman kardon dealer in chennai.

thanks mr. elango.
actually i went to the shop to buy yamaha ns8390. that time i heard this sonus2605. then i read your review and some reviews in the net about this speaker and bought it. so thanks for that too. Do you know any Harman kardon dealer in chennai.

Wc buddy...@ the moment i don't think there are any Harman Kardon dealer in Chennai.....They are aval in everyother city in India but not chennai...:)

They are aval in Bangalore & Hyderabad....If you have any plans to visit any of these cities, you can demo them there & then pick it up directly from the store if u like them... (or) req them to ship to chennai....

Harman Kardon - Where to Buy

Before you plan to go there, check with the dealer if they have the HK3490 in demo....

Alternatively you can consider Onkyo TX - 8050 which is similar to HK3490 but has more digital inputs (2 Co-axial & 2 Optical)..You might contact Onkyo Showrorom in chennai....

Onkyo India

Good Luck...

Back