Amplifier/P amp for Cerwin vega Xls 15 & HT - suggestion reqd

ashok281260

Hey guys,

I have bought the Cerwin vega xls 15*2.

I need best possible Amplifier or power amp to drive the same..

Some basic info:
- Currently i have only these 2 speakers. but eventually planning for 2 surround & center speaker as well.
- my room size is 19*16
- this is predominantly used for house party & less of Home theatre.

Please suggest the ideal amplifier for this.

Also, i need suggestion on Sound proofing of my UPVC window of size 8*7, in such a way that i should be able to use the window as well.

regards
ashok

Hey guys,

I have bought the Cerwin vega xls 15*2.

I need best possible Amplifier or power amp to drive the same..

Some basic info:
- Currently i have only these 2 speakers. but eventually planning for 2 surround & center speaker as well.
- my room size is 19*16
- this is predominantly used for house party & less of Home theatre.

Please suggest the ideal amplifier for this.

Also, i need suggestion on Sound proofing of my UPVC window of size 8*7, in such a way that i should be able to use the window as well.

regards
ashok

These are big monstrous speakers, a single 15" woofer is roughly the equivalent of FOUR 8" woofer. So, these speakers are the equivalent of EIGHT 8" woofer each. That means SIXTEEN 8" woofer for the pair. Just trying to lend some perspective... and though not the most refined, they still do sound pretty good. Giving them good, clean power is more important than actual wattage numbers.

Beyond that, I think I would need more information about how you intend to use these speakers. You say 'House Parties', but can you expand on what that means and what that entails? What is your music source; computer music server, iPod/MP3 player, CD player, Turntable, DJ rig???

I'm trying to decide whether I should steer you toward some type of Stereo PA system, or if a AVR will get the job done for future ready.

Answer my questions and I'll give it some more thought.

@ashok281260

As Hydrovac says, these are scary looking monsters.
Have you thought of throwing a couple of monoblocks at them.

If there is an opportunity, I would like to hear how my Outlaws (M2200) would drive these.

Cheers,
Raghu

hey, apologies for late reply...

I have shortlisted onkyo 609 - 125 watts & onkyo 636 - 160 watt both at 6 Ohm

which one you will suggest? if my CV is 8 ohm, should i look the output at 8 ohms? or it doesnt have consequence?

Hi

CVs are rated at 8 ohms and so you need to get proper power amps / avrs with that kind of power to drive...look at Rotel / Arcam / Marantz (7025/7055)

hey all,

I have bought onkyo 606 & they sound amazing, with just speakers my 19*16 room sufficiently filled with quality sound. however i will be adding the CV center & surrounds soon

thank you all for the support in selecting the speakers & the AMP.

my next step would be to sound-proofing the room!

Regards

Back