Amplifier/receiver for computer speakers

WHATSINANAME

Hi,

I had an old Philips 5.1 speaker system hooked up to my desktop computer in the bedroom. Now the subwoofer (with the integrated amplifier) has gone kaput, but the speakers themselves (centre, fronts and surrounds) are still fine. If I were to keep the same speakers and look for some budget solution to replace the subwoofer/amplifier, what would be my best option?

I have a Marantz AVR and speaker set-up already hooked up to my TV in the living room, so this is purely a secondary system for the kids to play some games on and some occasional watching of Netflix etc., so please suggest economical options.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi,

I had an old Philips 5.1 speaker system hooked up to my desktop computer in the bedroom. Now the subwoofer (with the integrated amplifier) has gone kaput, but the speakers themselves (centre, fronts and surrounds) are still fine. If I were to keep the same speakers and look for some budget solution to replace the subwoofer/amplifier, what would be my best option?
What you need is an AVR. But going by the price differential, there no point as you have to spend atleast 25k even for an entry level 5.1 AVR to utilize these puny satellitess.

Look for similar 5.1 multimedia speakers on olx., you might find something. Or get rid of these satellite speakers and get a 5.1 system from F&D which has different models between 3-5k

You can try some hobby boards available on amazon. These are simple DIY boards, where you need to power the board and drive audio signal. The board can drive the speakers. You can use laptop chargers to drive these boards as well.

Absolute Native Electronics TPA3116D2 50Wx2+100W 2.1 Channel Digital Subwoofer Amplifier Board 12V-24V Power TPA3116 Xh-M139 Digital Amplifier Board

I kind of agree with @dazzwilliams, hence I was asking about the budget. Unless you go for a used AVR, it might be difficult to justify the price paid for keeping the philips sats alive.

Also just out of curiosity, if this is not your primary system and it is just for a little playing around, why not a cheap sound bar? Listen please understand, I do not want to start the war on 5.1 vs soundbars at all, I am just suggesting, it might be the simplest fix, with not much effort really.

I kind of agree with @dazzwilliams, hence I was asking about the budget. Unless you go for a used AVR, it might be difficult to justify the price paid for keeping the philips sats alive.

Also just out of curiosity, if this is not your primary system and it is just for a little playing around, why not a cheap sound bar? Listen please understand, I do not want to start the war on 5.1 vs soundbars at all, I am just suggesting, it might be the simplest fix, with not much effort really.
True

@WHATSINANAME since you want them for computer use, get a nice pair of powered bookshelfs, like the Edifier 1280db or F&D r60bt. These near field speakers sound better for desktop applications

Thank you all for your replies.

An avr would have been ideal, but even used would cost more than I'm looking to spend and anyway there is no place for it on the already cramped computer table.

Let me try out the hobby board idea. Cheap and I also get to do some diy tinkering.

I contacted this guy recently as i was looking for a subwoofer amplifier board.
He sent me 400w mono amplifier board for 700Rs. You can also check out with this guy if he can give some boards.

You can try some hobby boards available on amazon. These are simple DIY boards, where you need to power the board and drive audio signal. The board can drive the speakers. You can use laptop chargers to drive these boards as well.
I believe this is the best approach in case you want to use those Philips speakers again.

In case you are ok with 2.0 system, I suggest Edifier R1280DB Active Speaker - it is a studio monitor, damn good quality I have ever used with a Computer. Crystal clear sound along with best in grade bass. R1850DB has Subwoofer out also.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back