Amplifier suggestions please

psyph3r

I am looking for an amplifier

1. Audio preference (Music / Movies) = 50 % / 50%

2. Budget = Rs.7500-Rs.18000 - Starting from the Norge 2060 - whatever options u give me

3. Room Size (Lenght x Breadth x Height = 15 x 11 B x 10 H

4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) PC/PS3

5. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = None yet

6. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = NO

Last edited:
I am looking for an amplifier

1. Audio preference (Music / Movies) = 50 % / 50%

2. Budget = Rs.7500-Rs.18000 - Starting from the Norge 2060 - whatever options u give me

3. Room Size (Lenght x Breadth x Height = 15 x 11 B x 10 H

4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) PC/PS3

5. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = None yet

6. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = NO
Hi psyph3r,
IMHO the Norge 1000 will stack up quite well against any MNC amp costing max 18000/- (...your budget limit).

So suggest you to audition different amps using the same songs/music and same speakers (This would be possible only in a multi-brand showroom or if you buy the speakers first* and lug them around each showroom). This is the only way you will discover the difference in sonic charachter of each amp. And then you can decide which "difference" you prefer and whether the difference is worth the cost you are paying compared to Norge 1000.

*Yes buying speakers first, is also a good strategy. Please convey if you want to know why?

Regds,

Thanks for the advice man.
I am still so confused about where to start.
Think i will pick up the KEF C3's first.
What are your opinions of these bookshelves.
Reason is i love my bass and these have 5.25" drivers and cost 15k.

Hi psyph3r,
IMHO the Norge 1000 will stack up quite well against any MNC amp costing max 18000/- (...your budget limit).

So suggest you to audition different amps using the same songs/music and same speakers (This would be possible only in a multi-brand showroom or if you buy the speakers first* and lug them around each showroom). This is the only way you will discover the difference in sonic charachter of each amp. And then you can decide which "difference" you prefer and whether the difference is worth the cost you are paying compared to Norge 1000.

*Yes buying speakers first, is also a good strategy. Please convey if you want to know why?

Regds,

Damn, even the mighty take a fall sometimes. Didnt expect that with KEF's reputation.
Anyways what would u guys buy if u were a bass head and had 15k for bookshelf speakers.

Tannoy F1 will be my pick for the speakers , try some good second hand Integrated amplifiers from marantz , Nad . You may get a better model for 18k in second hand market.

Hi,

If you love your bass, try Wharfedale 9.2 too. Its around 15k.You want movie+music. Its little confusing if you are looking for an AVR or a Stereo Amp.

cheers,
sri

Thanks for the advice man.
I am still so confused about where to start.
Reason is i love my bass and these have 5.25" drivers and cost 15k.

Hi psyph3r,
I recommend you start with choosing speakers first. This is because they influence the final sound more than any other equipment in chain (namely your amp and DVDP)

Your job is half done since you know your sonic preference (you love bass... me too;). I suggest Wharfe 9.2, Norge Millenium... others on this forum can suggest more options. Even though written specs can be misleading, don't consider any bookshelves that don't declare frequency response below 55 Hz. You will reduce you search-time considerably.

Try auditioning each of the above speakers with different amps to verify how their sound changes "marginally" from amp to amp (I am assuming that you will audition only with solid state amps) Again this is possible only in multi-brand outlet... but do try.

Regds,

Ok i think i will be auditioning the Diamond 10.1.
What amps should i be looking for when i audition these. (reducing budget to 10-15k)

to the op

As far as i know you wont get a decently powerful amp from any of the brands mentioned above except norge

i know of the Marantz PM 4000 series for being less thatn 18k but i wouldnt suggest that

if the poster above can really give you details about where a new marantz PM 6003 series is available for 18 k i urge you to jump on that offer
because im pretty sure you wont get a brand new amp as good for less than that

if you are willing to look for used amps your options open up a bit
you should start with the NAD amp being offered in the classifed section of this forum

hi.......... i suggest you to check out marantz pm6003 amp.its available for 17k in Grey in chennai............

Dear mate am actually looking for Marantz amp.cld u more specific abt the Grey market area in Chennai pl.u can pm also pl.rgds.visu

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back