Amplifier Yamaha HTR-3067 with 10% distortion, can be a good choice?

Note to mods:
The answer below may sound like I am partial to a particular brand. I have no vested interest in either brands discussed below.

To the OP:
As I have heard neither combos, judging by specs on paper my choice would be:
1. HT3067 + NS-PA150 + YST-SW030
2. VSX329 + NS-PA150 + YST-SW030

I assume you are looking/shortlisted the above SW based on your other thread.

Reasoning (based on info from respective product manuals):
1. All Yamaha package (most probably tested together and offered as a package)
2. Yamaha AVR may have an extra 1dB headroom as compared to Pioneer AVR
3. Adding up all the nominal input power for 5 speakers gives about 110W
4. Pioneer barely makes it if all channels were driven simultaneously; Yamaha seems to have some juice left even after reaching these levels

I may be completely wrong and the Pioneer AVR + Yamaha speakers may sound great on the floor.
So you need to audition and hear them out and see what are the similar/different features in sections other than power amp section.

Cheers,
Raghu

Note to mods:
The answer below may sound like I am partial to a particular brand. I have no vested interest in either brands discussed below.

To the OP:
As I have heard neither combos, judging by specs on paper my choice would be:
1. HT3067 + NS-PA150 + YST-SW030
2. VSX329 + NS-PA150 + YST-SW030

I assume you are looking/shortlisted the above SW based on your other thread.

Reasoning (based on info from respective product manuals):
1. All Yamaha package (most probably tested together and offered as a package)
2. Yamaha AVR may have an extra 1dB headroom as compared to Pioneer AVR
3. Adding up all the nominal input power for 5 speakers gives about 110W
4. Pioneer barely makes it if all channels were driven simultaneously; Yamaha seems to have some juice left even after reaching these levels

I may be completely wrong and the Pioneer AVR + Yamaha speakers may sound great on the floor.
So you need to audition and hear them out and see what are the similar/different features in sections other than power amp section.

Cheers,
Raghu

---------------
Dear Mr. Raghu,

Pioneer AVR (VSX329) specs says that:
105 W/channel (6 Ohms 1kHz Distortion 1% 1 Channel driven)

I am not getting this specs correctly.

Is this mean
Amplifier can source 105 watts while only 1 channel is active (Mono Mode).
When 2 Channels will be active (Stereo Mode) then the Amps power will fall below 105 W.
And when all 5 channels are active, amp will supply even less power to speakers.

OR
It means maximum 105 w can be supplied in all 5 channels irrespective of either it is Mono or Stereo or all 5 Channels are active.

Thanks.

105 W/channel (6 Ohms 1kHz Distortion 1% 1 Channel driven

It means exactly what it says.
On the bench, when only 1ch was active and the signal was a 1KHz test tone, the amp power measured 105W on a 6 ohm load.

Not a real world situation for AVRs. Completely useless spec from a user point of view.

If all 5 ch were driven at the same time with the same program (not test tone) Pioneer would probably do 25-30W and Yamaha would probably do 40-45W per channel.

Very few AVR manufacturers specify all channels driven. They are confident of their power supply stage. Such units are heavy and also expensive.

Eg take a look at Anthem MRX710 spec. WPC, total power consumption, weight, etc. It tells a different story. MRX one can say is truly over designed power wise.

Cheers,
Raghu

Amplifier Yamaha HTR-3067 with 10% distortion, can be a good choice?

Yamaha has given you more detailed specs and pioneer has skimped on the spec details.

You need to look at Rated Output Power @ (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) which is
70 W (6ohms, 0.09% THD) for Yamaha and Pioneer has not given that detail.

Rated Output Power of Yamaha @ (1kHz, 1ch driven) is
100 W (6ohms, 0.9% THD) and Pioneer @ (1kHz, 1ch driven) is
100 W (6ohms, 1%% THD) ( that's an apple to apple comparison of specs if you want to compare )

Btw, both are entry level AVRs and I have picked Yamaha over Pioneer for my current need.

Otherwise @raghupb has given all the information you need.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back