just wanted to know the difference

and which one do i buy??????????????

please helppppp

- harmankandon
- denon
- onkyo
- yamaha

-> Speakers: Jama, JBL, Bose?????

( ALL this is because i am going in for HDMI TV)

----------------------------------------
Difference between Amplifier & Receiver:
Amplifer: Receives/Selects the input Audio signals (Tuner/CD/Aux/Phono etc.etc.), amplifies the signal and the amplified output is sent to the speakers.

Receiver: Functions exactly like an Amplifier but a Receiver will have a built-in Tuner (AM/FM Tuner) in the unit. So like an Amplifier, the Receiver will not have a separate Tuner input sockets.

Difference between Amplifier & AV Amplifier and also between a Receiver & AV Receiver:
The Amplifier and the Reveiver is designed to manage ONLY AUDIO signals whereas an AV Amplifier/AV Receiver is designed to manage both Audio & Video input signals such as DVD/VCR/Video Cam/Cable TV/DTH Video etc...etc. (AV stands for Audio/Video).

Which one to buy:
If it is ONLY for MUSIC, then you should buy a Stereo Amplifier or a Stereo Receiver (preferably a Stereo Amplifier) along with a dedicated Audio CD player and a pair of good speakers (Bookshelf or a Floorstander according to your room size).

If it is for both MUSIC & WATCHING VIDEO, then you should buy an AV Receiver. There are hardly any AV Amplifier available these days, so you have to buy an AV Receiver. An AV Receiver is also referred as Home-Theatre Receiver (both are same).

Coming to the brands .....
1) Generally the Bose speakers are designed to sound better with their own electronics.

2) Both Jamo & JBL speakers match well with Denon & Yamaha AV Receivers.

Before you decide on anything, I suggest that you take valuable inputs from few of our fellow forum members who are experienced technically & practically.

----------------------------------
NOTE to dear fellow forum members:
----------------------------------
Please correct me if there is anything wrong in my explanation on the above thread ... Thanks :)

HifiPal:

I am sorry, but there are some things that are missing from your explanation and there are some errors. I had explained this in detail somewhere else, but I am not able to locate the link. I will be brief.

There are four stages in converting a signal that is stored in a CD/DVD, a record, or a tape to music or sound that you hear on your speakers.

(Stage 1) The first is called the source. This is a CD/DVD player, a turntable, a tape recorder, or the new MP3 players. Set aside the MP3 player for now. The other players read media of various types such as CD. DVD, Tape, and convert them to electrical signals. These electrical signals are very weak and are measured in milli volts. Some source players also perform Digital-to-Analog conversion of the sound signals.

(Stage 2) The next in stage is called a pre-amplifier in the two channel world, and a pre-amplifier/processor or controller in the multichannel woirld. Let us just call them pre-amp for ease of use. What this does is to take the output from the source player and amplify it further to between 2 to 15 odd volts. A per-amp has separate inputs sockets for each kind of source such as Turntable, CD Player, Tape Recorder etc. It is important to connect the source players to only the specified sockets.

A pre-amp will generally have a single L&R output for each channel.

In the multi channel world, sound signals are stored with multiple coding techniques such as DTS, Dolby etc. Multi-channel pre-amps also have to execute the additional task of understanding these signals and decoding them to the proper channel.

(Stage 3) An amplifier, or what is generally called a power amplifier, takes the output from the pre-amp and further amplifies it to levels that can drive loudpeakers. This is measured in watts. Amplifier wattage can be anything say from 10 watts per channel to 100s of watts perchannel. An amplifier will generally have a single R&L input socket per channel and a pair of connections for each loudspeaker. A simple two channel amplifier, for example will have just two RCA sockets for input, and four connection points for the left and right speakers. The amplifier does not care what the source is and does not even recognise that. It just accepts the signal sent by the pre-amp and amplifies it for the loudspeakers.

(Stage 4) The final stage is your loudspeaker that accepts singnals from the amplifier and plays your music or movie sound for you.

A integrated amplifier is an unit that combines the task of a pre-amp and a power amp into one unit. The signals from the pre-amp to the power amplification are transferred internally without the need of any external connectors. Other than that the fiunctions are identical to a pre-amp and power amp.

Now take a 2 channel integrated amplifier and add radio receiving capabilities to it. You have a two channel Receiver.

Now take a 6 channel integrated amplifier, add a radio to it and the capability to handle video signals - you have 5.1 Audio Video Receiver (AVR).

Similarly take a 8 channel integarted amplifier, add a radio to it and the capability to handle video signals - you have a 7.1 Audio Video Receiver.

Please also read the following link:

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/1687-decoder-multichannel-amp.html

Separate multi channel pre-amps and power amps are very much alive and kicking.

Cheers

and which one do i buy??????????????

please helppppp

- harmankandon
- denon
- onkyo
- yamaha

-> Speakers: Jama, JBL, Bose?????

( ALL this is because i am going in for HDMI TV)

It would be a good idea to tell the members how much you are willing to spend on the setup.

Budget max 35 thousand for HDMI DVD player+AVreceiver+speakers

50% decided for onkyo with LG DVD player or sony

but still searching.....

why on earth are you looking at an LG DVD player? If you want a consumer model then do check out Sony, Samsung and Panasonic, or Pioneer if you're okay with getting it grey.

Assuming you spend 5k on your DVD player, that leaves 30k for AVR and speakers. That's a very small budget for such a system. Now I will get beaten up for suggesting this for the nth time, but i am doing it because no one has fought with me on this yet or suggested a better system for the money). E-zone has an Onkyo TX-SR304 5.1 channel receiver and Jamo 406 HCS speakeres package for 30k. That would fit neatly within your budget. There are also HTIBs from Onkyo and Yamaha that would fit within the 30k budget, but I think this setup would sound better.

Which from the below is best and long lastinggg:)

Yamaha RX-V463 700W 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theatre Receiver

Denon AVR-1707 525W 7.1 Channel A/V Home Theatre Receiver

Onkyo TX-SR304 500W 5.1-Channel A/V Surround Receiver

Best Regards
SK
Mumbai

Best Regards
SK
Mumbai

SK, have you listened to any of them? Each one is good in its own way. Which is best is very subjective, and there are threads (such as the one on Marantz) that talk about the pros and cons of each brand.

You must audition a model from each brand to see which sound you really like. It does not matter which model within Yamaha or Denon or Onkyo you listen. Most models from the same brand (unless you are looking at the top most end) will sound similar.

Long lasting? What is long? 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? Anything over 5 years is a decade in Audio/video. Any of these models, if used well, should easily last 5 years or more.

If you buy based just what you read here, you will make a big mistake. We can only lead you in a direction. The final decision must depend upon what your ears like. You are in Mumbai, and you should have no problems in auditioning all the three brands.

Cheers

Best Regards
SK
Mumbai

My pick would be, the Denon.

Regarding the long lasting part, I 2nd Venkat. It all depends on how you use and take care of it:). I have been using Denon and Marantz products for more than a decade with out any problems so far! fwiw, i had a problem with "humming" some time back but all I had to do was to change the power strip:rolleyes:

Yes i have heard

1) Yamaha
2) Onkyo
3) Harmankardon-JBL

And found yamaha and onkyo better....maybe this weekend would be visiting and checking on bose - Marantz

SK, have you listened to any of them? Each one is good in its own way. Which is best is very subjective, and there are threads (such as the one on Marantz) that talk about the pros and cons of each brand.

You must audition a model from each brand to see which sound you really like. It does not matter which model within Yamaha or Denon or Onkyo you listen. Most models from the same brand (unless you are looking at the top most end) will sound similar.

Long lasting? What is long? 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? Anything over 5 years is a decade in Audio/video. Any of these models, if used well, should easily last 5 years or more.

If you buy based just what you read here, you will make a big mistake. We can only lead you in a direction. The final decision must depend upon what your ears like. You are in Mumbai, and you should have no problems in auditioning all the three brands.

Cheers

My pick would be, the Denon.

Regarding the long lasting part, I 2nd Venkat. It all depends on how you use and take care of it:). I have been using Denon and Marantz products for more than a decade with out any problems so far! fwiw, i had a problem with "humming" some time back but all I had to do was to change the power strip:rolleyes

Hi,

I am also on same way but I am half way, as I have already bought Onkyo TX-SR507 from Dubai. Now I am returning to India and will hunt for a good speaker system.
I am still clueless whether Pune has some one selling compatible speakers system of branda like - Jamo, Infifnity, Marantz, Polk, Energy etc.
I will be glad if somebody can pass on this information. If availability is better in Mumbai, I can afford to travel Mumbai also for audition and later buying.

Thanks,

Aseem

I am still clueless whether Pune has some one selling compatible speakers system of branda like - Jamo, Infifnity, Marantz, Polk, Energy etc.
I will be glad if somebody can pass on this information. If availability is better in Mumbai, I can afford to travel Mumbai also for audition and later buying.

Thanks,

Aseem[/QUOTE]

I think some one earlier had mentioned about lack of adequate availability in Pune. Mumbai would be definitely better option.
In Pune check at Soundnvisionhifi.com which deals with Sonus Faber, if that is of any interest. :indifferent14:

I was planning to start a thread with a similar topic myself.

I am at a stage where I have auditioned both stereo setups and 5.1 ones.

Any able person can notice the difference between the two, and stereo amps definitely sound better than the avrs.

What i noticed is that if you go in for a pure stereo setup, you can really enjoy it provided you are sitting still in that sweet spot. In other words, the music will not sound the same or as good if you sit just about anywhere in the room.

On the other hand, the avr's with 5 speakers dont sound as good but they do give out a decent surround sound.

any one who agrees / disagrees?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back