An audiophile cannot but cry watching this

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Thanks, Sachin, for that bittersweet stroll down memory lane.

Rhythm House was the first music store I ever visited as a kid. I remember trips to the store with my mother to buy records; cassettes had not even come in at that time!

Then we moved to Calcutta, and Harry’s Music House stood in as a substitute. That was where I bought my first record, while still in school. Moving back to Bombay during my college years, Rhythm House re-entered my life.

RH was an essential component of any date: first, a trip to Samovar for lunch (or the High Court canteen if funds were low!); then, a half hour spent in the RH record booth, spinning whatever LP was in the new arrivals rack. The staff knew we were just enjoying each other’s company and had no intention to buy, but they never shooed us away.

Later, when I’d started working and moved out of B’bay, I would make it a point to visit the store every time I came back. The stuff I would find there was just unbelievable; and every visit was worth it. I also distinctly remember Nutan helping me out on multiple occasions; locating stuff for me that was not on the shelves, but in the back room.

My deepest respect and best wishes to all the people who worked there.

Record stores, besides local performing venues, have been always been first port of call during my travels. Over the last 25 years, I have had the opportunity to visit and shop at a few iconic stores. Some of these - Tower Records in Shibuya Tokyo, Disk Union in Tokyo, Amoeba in LA, SF & Berkeley, Sam The Record Man in Toronto, Waterloo Records in Austin, Rakk & Ralls in Oslo, Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, Thing In New York, Red Eye in Sydney and of course Rhythm House in Mumbai.

Of all these stores, Rhythm House was special to me because this was the first large-format store that I visited. Over 20% of my 3000+ CD collection has been purchased or shipped from here. Besides the extensive collection, one thing that's common to these stores is staff with exceptional knowledge of all forms of music, and Rhythm House was no exception. Their staff was phenomenal!

While several record stores globally have shut down, a few have been able to stay afloat and even thrive due to the ongoing vinyl revival. I wish Rhythm House also had managed to keep going!

Record stores, besides local performing venues, have been always been first port of call during my travels. Over the last 25 years, I have had the opportunity to visit and shop at a few iconic stores. Some of these - Tower Records in Shibuya Tokyo, Disk Union in Tokyo, Amoeba in LA, SF & Berkeley, Sam The Record Man in Toronto, Waterloo Records in Austin, Rakk & Ralls in Oslo, Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, Thing In New York, Red Eye in Sydney and of course Rhythm House in Mumbai.

Of all these stores, Rhythm House was special to me because this was the first large-format store that I visited. Over 20% of my 3000+ CD collection has been purchased or shipped from here. Besides the extensive collection, one thing that's common to these stores is staff with exceptional knowledge of all forms of music, and Rhythm House was no exception. Their staff was phenomenal!

While several record stores globally have shut down, a few have been able to stay afloat and even thrive due to the ongoing vinyl revival. I wish Rhythm House also had managed to keep going!
Great Share Brings Tears .....Always looked forward to visit RH whenever I was in town.End of an Era ......

Used to travel from thane to RH, local train, walk down from cst, stop by at razak for some treasure hunt, and then en route RH :)

I was so much in awe of RH that I once applied for a job there.. and this was in midst of my career. met Mr. Curmally who was we spoke of music, he made me feel special.. looking back, he was genuinely humble.

My high point in terms of their customer care was when I wanted The Cures join the dots 4 CD pack. It felt they were more excited about getting me that... And they did. It's one of the many cds I cherish for various reasons. RH being one..

Thanks for sharing, Sachin.

I have never visited Rhythm house. I had passed by it once but due to paucity of time, I was unable to visit. Do I regret it now. I have purchased many CD's from them through their online site though.

CD's from RH.
Equipment and speakers to listen to the CD's from HiFiMart.
Knowledge from members of HiFiVision.

I am grateful to all three.

I very much appreciate Sachin for sharing this link. Yes it was heart touching, but eventually all good things need to come to an end, but in the manner it happened because of piracy was heart breaking. God bless the Store owners, and the dedicated staff, with his choicest and abundant showers of blessing.

We all must grow old and retire sometime.
Being located in a small town in Central India , me and a music enthusiast friend of mine , for a large part of the last 30 -35 years , as long as the cassettes and CDs lasted, were dependant on Rhythm House for our music.
We used to travel 1200kms ,by train from Chattisgarh , land in VT in the morning , shop at RH , and return back by boarding the night train.
Quite simply , RH shaped our music tastes. So in many ways , RH is our de - facto musical guru.
Really grateful to them for that.

Yes. True. But we just cannot forget the classic beauties of our times despite all the progress and modernisation.

The Steam Engines railways depended on, the HMV logo, the LPs, the lifting of the playing arm of the player and returning back to its stand got permanently etched in our memory. Magnetic stylus, diamond stylus ... though I never could make out the difference, but these different products mesmerized me.

The mention of RH made me travel back in time, when I was studying in St Xaviers Technical Institute, Mahim and often visited that iconic place, and focussed on "Philips HI Q International", which, then offered 20 Watts (something we never imagined hearing that loud then), which had a big woofer, squawker and Dome/Horn Tweeter, plus the Amplifier/Receiver having the "Contour" button which produced the loudest effects.

Thanks for this thread @SachinChavan

Cant help but feel nostalgic... was part of our youth & Music during college.

Time marches on relentlessly. All products & services have their life cycles.

Just think if Rhythm House had re-invented itself with several Home Theatre Lounges / Experiences Zones, at various price points....

Sadly a family feud forced the place to be put up for sale....

Being located in a small town in Central India , me and a music enthusiast friend of mine , for a large part of the last 30 -35 years , as long as the cassettes and CDs lasted, were dependant on Rhythm House for our music.
We used to travel 1200kms ,by train from Chattisgarh , land in VT in the morning , shop at RH , and return back by boarding the night train.
Quite simply , RH shaped our music tastes. So in many ways , RH is our de - facto musical guru.
Really grateful to them for that.
INCREDIBLE ! Hats Off !

Some of us travel to Hong Kong & Taiwan to visit their Hi Fi Shows, but then its not the same thing.

Just think if Rhythm House had re-invented itself with several Home Theatre Lounges / Experiences Zones, at various price points..
Wouldn’t have been the same though, would it? Though it started by dealing in equipment, we mostly associate it with (physical) media purchase.

The one way that comes to mind they could have survived was to start selling CDs and vinyl globally over eBay and sustain a smaller physical establishment. But one look at their office in the video suggests they were all but tech savvy. (They did clear their stock online, but that wasn’t regular business).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn’t have been the same though, would it? Though it started by dealing in equipment, we mostly associate it with (physical) media purchase.

The one way that comes to mind they could have survived was to start selling CDs and vinyl globally over eBay and sustain a smaller physical establishment. But one look at their office in the video suggests they were all but tech savvy. (They did clear their stock online, but that wasn’t regular business).
True. They could have easily competed in ebay/discogs given shipping by India post is cheaper than usps/Royal Mail and price of CD/LP in India is relatively cheaper

FWIW, a Friend & I did speak to the owner (after they closed) what we (my friend & I) would commence an Online only business selling CDs, with possibly buying the 'Rhythm House' goodwill.

The Owner opined that even buying CDs from the CD Labels was now very difficult in India, and we would not be assured of reasonable supplies.....

Anyone remember Hiro Music House at Linking Road and Kala Ghoda? I used to frequent them more than Rhythm House though the staff at Rhythm House were certainly more knowledgeable than the ones at Hiro.
I feel that tributes to Rhythm House should have been paid a long time ago - much before it physically shut down, because sadly, it died long before it was sold.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back