An example of deliberate Lo-Fi and it's effect

corElement

I listen to the Blade Runner soundtrack from 1982 a lot. The artist was Vangelis, the same guy who did chariots of fire.

In blade runner the soundtrack is very...different from any other soundtrack. Content from the movie is in the tracks themselves. And in certain areas even though vangelis had high resolution content, he made low res content and used that in the soundtrack instead.

And the result is very interesting. I often find myself listening to the lo-fi version of certain tracks just because it's very relaxing and invokes a sense of nostalgia.

For example here is the Hi-Fi version of one track which was never put in the movie soundtrack instead released separately.
Vangelis - Thinking of Rachael - 1982 - YouTube

And here is the official Lo-fi version which went into the movie.
Blade Runner Soundtrack Thinking Of Rachael - YouTube

Isnt the emotional impact so interesting from the hi-fi one?
Same content yet so different, evoking entirely different emotions.

PS. Vangelis has an entire planet named after him :p :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
I listen to Vangelis but I prefer Kitar?.

Also, a fan of Yanni, Richard Clayderman, and Yo-Yo Ma.

Interesting thread. Love the early works of Vangelis and am a JM Jarre fan. I have a beat-up cassette of synth music containing the works of pretty much the cream of synth music called 'Art Rock - The Best of Synthesizer' that had a Yamaha DX7 on the cover. Wonder if anyone else here has come across this album. This old piece of musical magic is pretty much my ticket to 'back in the day'. Gives me the goose-bumps...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back