An Introduction and a Call for Suggestions.

Haren Asher

Hey!

Just registered on this forum , very much a newbie. Have been traversing this wonderful forum as am on the search for a home theater system.

Initially thought of going in for a Soundbar as the room layout is small. 11x17, with the TV being on the 11' Side. Effective Viewing Distance is 8'-9'

Havent really reviewed any of the soundbars but after many reviews on the net considered going in for a componet set up.
Budget 40K.

Was initially looking at Onkyo / Yamaha Amps . While they are good, i have heard from audiophile friends of mine that quality of sound for basic amps on Onkyo / Yamaha are not very good and i should look at Denon.

I even queried one of the dealers who suggested Denon over Onkyo and his reasoning sort of went over my head . He said " Denon AVR1611 is better compared to Yamaha and Onkyo both of them have cheaper IC output stage and Denon has Discreet output stage "

Looked at Denon 1311 and 1611. Not much of a difference between the two., though the 1311 is cheaper .

Fixed on the 1611 mainly because - Its got Video Upconversion. Auto setup and Audyssey Equaliser, an Audio Return Channel which my tv supports and i can change setting with an onscreen display , which i thought is very useful especially since my systems are a bit further than my tv.

I need suggestion on speakers
Went to HT Store in JP Nagar and tried the Denon on the JBL140 and found it horrible. Caught the Demo on Fast and furious clip and played some Gustavo Montesano on it as well. the sound i found a bit flat. Then put the Same thing on JBLCS460 Model and was very impressed.

Went to PROFX store is Barton Center. This time tried the Polk Audio RM6750 with the Denon. Played XMen Clip, Hotel California, Promiscuous Girl, Badi Dheere Chali and Neil Diamond. Over all the sound was pretty good for music , though i was not as impressed with the sound for movies as i was with the JBL CS460.

I also went to The Onkyo Dealer, who had pure acoustics speakers, elak etc. The sales guy didnt seem interested in showing me anything. But i insisted on checking out the Onkyo with Pure Acoustics Speakers. The Onkyo is great value, and the Pure Acoustics were alright. But Both Wife and i liked the Polks better.

HT Stores pricing on the Denon 1611 was 31900 + JBL CS460 was 25000 = Package deal 52K.

Denon's offer pricing for the 1611 was 24900 + PolKs RM6750 for 29000 - Package Deal 45K

Is this good pricing?
who are the JBL Dealers in bangalore and where can i get better rates for them?

Have yet to check out Cambridge Audio, but wondering whether the budget will be ok for these. The Cambridge Audio Minx Series looks promising. but am still awaiting pricing from the dealer.

Are there other speakers i should check out in this range (20-25K).?

How much of a difference does wood make to a speaker ? The onkyo guys scoffed at the Polks, saying pure acoutics were wooden but polks were plastic.. so it got me thinking. At this price point does it make a lot of difference.

Awaiting your feedback / opinion!

Cheers
Haren Asher

XBOX 360 / Samsung LED 32 D 5000 / TATA Sky HD / IPOD

Welcome to HFV...
Audio from some of Yamaha amps are very good & even better than Denon.
Say old RX-V663,current 667.

Apparently the High End (above 40K Receivers ) are as good, but the ones in the range of 20-30K are not as good as denon. I am new to this so the general feeling is to trust friends over salesmen:)

Some of the others in your range would be:

Tannoy SFX5.1
Jamo A102
KEF KHT 1005.2
Mordaunt Short Alumini - Not sure of the price now
Harman Kardon HKTS9

.. and I believe what you hear is what matters and not what its actually made of. Wood doesn't overcome the faults of a bad design

since your budget is less, get something like a topping with some good speakers and enjoy the music. it wont be bad for movies, just wont have the surround sound. later when you have more money, you can upgrade.

You can also look at Jamo606, which was available in 5.0 setup at Reliance for 30K after a good discount of 30%.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I am trying to audition speakers as many as possible.

I went to the Babbler Showroom to have a look at Q Acoustics. There starting range is 75K for a Satellite package - the 1010i series. Didnt take a demo with them, as i dont want to fall in love with speakers above my budget! and then feel like i am "compromising".

Anyone know where i can audition the Boston Acoustics Soundwave XS?

Will be checking out Jamo over the weekend.

@imgene . Which reliance outlet is this?

If any can share contacts of any other dealers in bangalore where i can test a couple of different setups, it would be great!

Thanks Again!

Check with reliance digital , cunningham road and koramangla branches for Energy take classic 5.1.

Update:

Went to a Store in Whitefield to demo the Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 setup.

Was pretty impressed by them.

Also demo'd the Paradigm CT70. I liked the boston acoustics better tho.

The Rates i got from him are

1. Denon 1611 - 24000/-

2. Boston Acoustics Soundware XS - 26500/-

Plus Bandridge Cables extra at Rs. 60/Mtr - 14Gauge.

Plus Installation / Cabling/ Wiring with casing and mounting of speakers - 1500/-

My budget was 35-40k .. so looks like i might have to shelve my plans of picking up the system for a month atleast!

Any place in bangalore that deals with grey market speakers? ..

hey!

i have been offered the Boston acoustics Without a bill for 23K.

is that a good deal?

Also i auditioned the Bostons in a non acoustic treated room i.e no acoustic panel/ sundproof room etc. While the polks i auditioned them in their trial room. One of the dealers said that would make a huge difference in sound! .. how true is that?

Thanks guys for the replies.

I am trying to audition speakers as many as possible.

I went to the Babbler Showroom to have a look at Q Acoustics. There starting range is 75K for a Satellite package - the 1010i series. Didnt take a demo with them, as i dont want to fall in love with speakers above my budget! and then feel like i am "compromising".

Haren

When did you visited the showroom..??

Maybe i was not there...

Can you come down to the showroom, wherein i can give you some demos for the products and setups within your budget range or nearby range...

Send me a mail, before coming so that i can make sure, that i am present in the showroom...

@Mridul.
10th June is when i visited the showroom. I was attended to by a very polite lady.
She did offer to to begin an audition with the speakers. But i wanted he to know my budget before we begun. she also said the 1010i are going out of stock, and showed me a pair of bookshelves on stands, and a center they had left. The pair were priced at 13K. I dont remeber the pricing for the center.
Mridul. Please PM me your number, i might be coming down to residency road today, and i can call u if i am.

@Alexanish - I auditioned Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1. the 23K is without bill / warranty . With bill and warranty the price was Rs. 26,500. PM me and will give you the dealers contact.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back