An Introduction to Ambiophonics

So, I compared the Ambio DSP's between Foobar & JRiver. Night and Day difference. To my ears, Day = JRiver's DSP.

Rikhav - you have to try it!

Keith, could you post the download link for the JRiver Ambio DSP please? :)

OK, full disclosure time. I'm not editing my Post # 118 because people might have read it between then and now.

When I said I used my mini-component system it was not completely true. I used just the speakers from my mini-compo sys. The head unit has been bust for long so in it's place, for the amp, I use a Rs. 300 mini-amp that I got from e-Bay a long time ago. It's just that the head unit is in place but is just not in use so in my imagination [vivid!!!] the head unit is playing and not the mini-amp which is so tiny that I need a magnifying glass to use it :)

So, to dispel all doubt's that I'm an audiophool, and to ensure that people do not take me seriously from now on, here are 2 linked pics.

1.) the mini-compo. speakers. I kept the grilles on because the cones have dings on them and some would have got a stroke just looking at these - I inherited them in this condition so I don't really know who/what caused this. Yes, you see right - that's a small tear on the grille - again inherited.

2.) the mini-amp. P.S. is a wall wart which when not powering the amp, powers my set-top box. :eek:hyeah: Please take special notice of the audio grade IC and the speaker cord braided from CAT5 cable.

So now you guys know...

Uh, oh! I was afraid someone would ask that. I have forgotten!!! :eek:

Let me do some searching. Will get back.

Gottit!!!. Download the zip file - SH-Ambiophonics.zip.

Note: This needs a 32 bit JVM to run so make sure that you have that installed. For me, inspite of having a 32 bit JVM installed the plugin wouldn't load. Maybe because I have a 32 & 64 bit JVM installed on my laptop - so I had to edit the .ini file [contained in the zip file] and insert a new line: "CustomJVMLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client\jvm.dll". Needless to say - edit the part marked in blue to the path in YOUR machine for the 32 bit jvm.dll.

Have fun!!!

JRiver

Note: This needs a 32 bit JVM to run so make sure that you have that installed. For me, inspite of having a 32 bit JVM installed the plugin wouldn't load. Maybe because I have a 32 & 64 bit JVM installed on my laptop - so I had to edit the .ini file [contained in the zip file] and insert a new line: "CustomJVMLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client\jvm.dll". Needless to say - edit the part marked in blue to the path in YOUR machine for the 32 bit jvm.dll.

Have fun!!!

Well done! I just couldn't get the plugins to work flawlessly with Foobar and couldn't get it work with Jriver altogether. ( BTw, the latest MC20 upgrade is only US19 till tomorrow. So grab your chance now).

Maybe, you can help me out to go configure 4 channels output. I am using Panambiophonics and need extra two channels for the rear speakers. I do not know how whether that could be possible with my Mytek DAC but maybe possible with a AVR or I may need to buy a second DAC.

Also have your tried DSD files? Any clicks or breaks?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Re: JRiver

( BTw, the latest MC20 upgrade is only US19 till tomorrow. So grab your chance now).
I'm a cheapskate so US$19 is out of the question :p

Maybe, you can help me out to go configure 4 channels output. I am using Panambiophonics and need extra two channels for the rear speakers. I do not know how whether that could be possible with my Mytek DAC but maybe possible with a AVR or I may need to buy a second DAC.

Thank you.
Eh? What? Sorry, wrong #. :eek:hyeah:

Have fun!!!

I run a 64bit win 7 and but did not have to edit the ini file. The transcoder works well with JRiver but is limited in user functionality. The ambiophonicDSP from electro-music site also loads into JRiver and works well. However for plug and play one can just stick to JRiver.

But the foobar plugin is far more versatile of all the plugins that I have used (and I use all of them including those coded for Mac OS X). It offers far more controls like speaker/listener distance adjustment, LPF/HPF adjustment, center panning, space adjustment and more. It also has parallel controls if you run rear speakers as well for panambio experience.
Of course one needs to do spend lots of time to understand what each does and then implement it to ones taste.

Happy listening.:)

Well done! I just couldn't get the plugins to work flawlessly with Foobar and couldn't get it work with Jriver altogether. ( BTw, the latest MC20 upgrade is only US19 till tomorrow. So grab your chance now).

Thank you.

For 4-channels panambio setup with software tweak, you just need to add another instance of the plugin in the player and set the center channel in the receiver to none. I have not yet tried it, will check and let you know in a day or two.

For 4-channels panambio setup with software tweak, you just need to add another instance of the plugin in the player and set the center channel in the receiver to none. I have not yet tried it, will check and let you know in a day or two.

Thanks. Just bought the VST plugin. I hope it will work with MC20. I still think it may not be possible to run 4 channels using a single DAC but I am interested to find out whether Miniambio is degrading the sound or not.

Could you please try with this hirez files and give a feedback?

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

Thanks.

You appear to be making the assumption that the signal source, all electronics (cartridge/arm/turntable or dac, preamp/amp), and cables sound the same.

Yes. I have a Black&Deckers lawn mover's power cord used as a speaker cable. You can compare that with my Audioquest cable and tell the difference. This a power cord used as a speaker cable!!! I have done many blind tests and basically if there was a difference it was easily explainable.

.............So is this all just marketing? Is this the next Bose?

Tell us more on what the hardware is?

There are a few for free. Please see Home Page. Some for US10 (mentioned in my previous post) which I am now experimenting with JRiver. The hardware plug and play is available at Ambiophonic Systems | Ambio4YOU - Ambiophonic DSP

When I started this thread which is one of the cheapest upgrade of nigh and day difference I thought many young audiophiles would be interested. They were my target group as it is difficult to change the senoirs who already accustomed to stereo sound. It took me 10 years to get Ambiophonics right. But sadly, very few are willing to experience.

The implementation is not straight forward but the reward is thousands of dollars of savings and a real 3D sound. I am Still looking for more members and please feel free to contact me. You can also Whatsapp or BBM me.

Thanks.

As I was exploring the net looking for information on my new speakers, I bumped into an interesting website of Dr. Dick Burwen. Dick is no ordinary man. His Op Amp design was the beginning of Analog Devices company. Many patents to his name which contributed to AV system. Besides his 20000Watt system what interested me was his view about amplifiers and cables. You can read all about it here. . And his 20K watt system......

BURWEN_STUDIO.jpg

I have previously written about Ambiophonics and why it is the simplest and cheapest way to achieve live performance sound from your simple system. The secret in realistic sound is the retrieval of the ambiance. Dick's approach to enhance the ambiance is to recreate them using multiple channels.

Visit his blog and read about his take on $350,000/pair Wavac SH-833 amplifier. This man designed the lowest distortion vacuum tube ever and now he wouldn't even take that as a gift.

It is a must read; especially about tweaks and why they make a difference.

Continuing with my journey in the world of Ambiophonics, I decided to replace my Harbeth speakers with electrostatics. I short listed four brands - Sonicblades , NewformResearch, MartinLogan and SoundLab.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Initially, I was very interested with the SonicBlades due to their Surround-master, a small gadget that works like Ambiophonics to give a surround effect. Perhaps, it was a blessing in disguise when Involveaudio did not respond to my two emails; I ended up with a SoundLab.

It was a risky decision as each speaker's width of almost 3 feet leaving me with no room for Ambiophonics setup adjustment. The distance between the two speakers is just 2.5 inches. It must work or I have to go back to stereo.

The speakers came and was placed in the exact spot where my Harbeths' were. Now, after a week and some minor adjustments I can finally say it is a huge leap forward. I thought Harbeth's midrange was the sweetest but SL brought a new definition to the midrange. Not a slightest hint of artifact sibilance nor the shouty feel. Previously, I could feel Norah Jones singing in front of me but now I can see her. And finally, the double bass that was never known to exist was heard so clearly...

I am in heaven....

I will agree that only with ambiophonic plugin on MiniDSP I am able to experience a wide span stereo (120 deg - 180 deg soundstage wrapping the entire head). It almost feels like listening on headphones, or in other words LIVE.

However, there are two shortcoming of the approach: it weakens the center channel. Especially since the left and right sound so straight at ears, the center feels low in volume and recessed back. Second issue is weakening of the upper bass and lower mids (say from 80 Hz to 250 Hz).

BTW I find it quite stupid that people recommend stereo speakers and listener at an angle of 60 deg. What is the basis? In my experience 90 deg is the absolute minimum (120 deg preferably) to experience stereo separation close to Live hearing.
Non of the stereo micing techniques employs such narrow angles like 60 deg or lower.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back