Anatomy of Norge 1000 GOLD Stereo Integrated Amplifier

The transformer was not upgraded. The 1000's toroid alone will cost around 4K even more if you order from miracle. The cabinet will cost at least 2.5 k and the motorised pot for 1.5k. A good eBay kit with an output of 100 watt per channel will cost around 6k and even they will not have exotic capacitors. The nichicons muse capacitors 4x10000 microfarads are not available in any kit I know of. So as a package the Norge 1000 is equivalent to a good DIY effort for those who don't want the headache of arrange all the parts, especially the cabinet.

Rightly said.:clapping:

It may be better/equal to buy a Norge 1000 than to invest INR 10K + personal effort + time in a DIY amp project. I am highly satisfied with my 1000. It is the best bang for buck stereo amp available in India.

Great sound for a small amount. Long live Norge Audio.

Thanks rishiguru for excellent postmortem of norge amps.

I have one question. If I want to connect external fan to norge 1000 what should be correct place to connect them on amp power supply??

Rishi - I see that you are sort of legend out here esp with your thread bare review of the Norge 1000! Man what a thorough a professional review.Can understand the amount of effort and dedication you must've put in for that.

Also audiodoc seems to be another legend out there...compared to you guys my knowledge of these equipments would be limited to switching ON and OFF the power button and that I should consider an achievement!!

Well done.

I'm very curious to understand how you would compare the sound of the Norge 1000 to say the yamaha A-S500 or even the S1000. I'm a fan of the Yamaha sound signature but was very curious to know how the Norge sounded. I would want to audition one soon and get hold of a 2060 or the 1000 more as a collectors item.

Rishi - I see that you are sort of legend out here esp with your thread bare review of the Norge 1000! Man what a thorough a professional review.Can understand the amount of effort and dedication you must've put in for that.

Thanks for the appreciation. :)

Also audiodoc seems to be another legend out there..

He is a REAL DIYer. We are fortunate to have him in our forum.

I'm very curious to understand how you would compare the sound of the Norge 1000 to say the yamaha A-S500 or even the S1000.

The Norge 1000 is a good stereo integrated amp, maybe half baked with no speaker protection circuits, subwoofer out et al, but will still pump out good amounts of power with price defying SQ. It is the best VFM 100wpc Indian stereo amp out there when I got it at 10K, challenging many a few so called "foreign brands" costing 2x times.

The Norge 1000 sounds like a Marantz amp, warm mids, excellent vocals which will simply dance on this amp plus sizzling highs. Base in ok, just enough to go with the flow.

The A-S500 which is available in India is an Asian spec and is quite different from the A-S500 that received rave reviews by whathifi. Still an asian A-S500 will beat the Norge 1000 hands down.

But before you buy a Norge, you need to know the origins of Norge Audio. Hence : HifiVision: Norge Audio

I'm a fan of the Yamaha sound signature ...

Yamaha is an great company deserving a lot of respect. Since 1887, when it began producing reed organs, the Yamaha Corporation in Japan (then Nippon Gakki Co., Ltd.) has grown to become the world's largest manufacturer of a full line of musical instruments, and a leading producer of audio/visual products.

Yamaha's unique musical instruments producing know how lends them to create a specific sound signature commonly referred as "Natural Sound". This "Natural Sound" lends their audio products with a unique sound signature having the largest fan base(including me) in the world. I have a lot of respect for them. People often dismiss names like Yamaha, Denon as low to mid end hifi products without knowing what these giants are capable of. After listening to Yamaha DSP-Z9 & Denon AVC-A1SRA I believe they have the might to usurp many so called high end audio boutique brands. They do not go to this high end arena as of now because of world economy & they want to sale en masse to generate more profits which is quite understandable.

I think one look at this thread will satisfy those who even doubt: HifiVision : Does anybody here owns any of these beauties?

I would want to audition one soon and get hold of a 2060 or the 1000 more as a collectors item.

You have a Yamaha A-S1000, a 2008 EISA award winning best stereo integrated amplifier. This adds a lot of weight, making it an instant classic.

Ever wondered why the costlier Yamaha A-S2000 didn't get the coveted prize? Coz EISA not only measures performance of an audio product but also gives tremendous emphasis on how much the customer is going to be benefited from their awarded product.

During their product evaluation A-S1000 was near there in terms of performance with the A-S2000 at half the price, in other words a much better VFM without compromising quality. Thats the reason why A-S1000 took the top honors. This is the reason why EISA is so respected in the world.

If you want to buy an Indian product(Norge) coz you are an Indian then I will give you a big THUMBS UP. Add Norge 1000 to your collection and it will give you very good SQ for years to come. Then connect the same loudspeakers to your A-S1000 and it will instantly take you to another realm. :)

Lastly I want to ask you a question. What speakers did you get for your A-S1000. I think we all have missed that part.

Enjoy.:)

Last edited:
Rishi - thank you again!

So I take it that the Norge amps put out kinda dominant mids and highs. So Marantz sounds similar with strong focus and mids and highs...ok.

Z9 - wish I could listen to it sometime during my lifetime!

I had a Denon AVR-1609 to start with before I revamped all of them with Yamahas. I was impressed with Denon's sound initially esp fantastic and clear mids and higs, but somehow the receiver's bass was boomy and did not have the control and punch of what I've come to like in the Yamahas. In my view if Denon fix their Bass, their sound is awesome and I would be torn between Yamaha and Denon!

As for my speaker hunting, it'll start during next month as I'm waiting for my cousin to arrive from US and he wants to get a pair of spkrs from here! He's another Yamaha buff and he's got a S2000 and he's got himself a vintage Yamaha M4 and restored it and replaced the fused bulbs (power switch and spkrs A/B switches). He's now using the S2000 as a pre and driving his Soavo with the M4 power amp...

Rishi - thank you again!

Welcome.

So I take it that the Norge amps put out kinda dominant mids and highs.

In my EARS yes.:)

So Marantz sounds similar with strong focus and mids and highs...ok.

Marantz are known for mids aka vocals, but to say they lack bass is not correct. Marantz is in a different league to Norge, and belong to the same category of Yamaha. Marantz have controlled bass & are very musical.

Personally I prefer the "Natural Sound".

I had a Denon AVR-1609 to start with before I revamped all of them with Yamahas. I was impressed with Denon's sound initially esp fantastic and clear mids and higs, but somehow the receiver's bass was boomy and did not have the control and punch of what I've come to like in the Yamahas.

The lower end models like AVR-1609 you are speaking of does not have any relevance to their higher end models. Listening to AVC-A1SRA in stereo, bass was tight & punchy.

As for my speaker hunting, it'll start during next month as I'm waiting for my cousin to arrive from US and he wants to get a pair of spkrs from here!

Best of luck. :)

He's another Yamaha buff and he's got a S2000 and he's got himself a vintage Yamaha M4 and restored it and replaced the fused bulbs (power switch and spkrs A/B switches). He's now using the S2000 as a pre and driving his Soavo with the M4 power amp...

A Yamaha M4 ... :licklips:

Last edited:
OK, but the Denon AVR you mention is probably in the league of the Z9? That's where I felt the Yamaha more consistent across their range. I have the RX-V1900 and the lower RX-V663, for some reason I seem to enjoy the overall well balanced sound of the 663 over the V1900.

Just went back and read your earlier post where you're suggesting that the A-S500 bought in India might be tuned differently to the one in the UK? Do you think they would kinda customise it to the regions sold to suit the type of music preference of the ppl? Something like what the Coke and Pepsi do by adding more sugar when sold in India?! (Sorry 'bout the poor analogy!)

OK, then my A-S500's got 'less sugar' in it as I got it from the UK :eek:hyeah:

Just uploaded some pics of the M4 that my cousin sent me...I'm sorry if I'm hijacking the thread...

Last edited:
OK, but the Denon AVR you mention is probably in the league of the Z9?

Yes.

That's where I felt the Yamaha more consistent across their range.

Maybe. I have no experience with Denon's low end AVRs.

Just uploaded some pics of the M4 that my cousin sent me...

Here is a pic of Yamaha M4. Note that both the instruments of sound are Yamaha!!!

picsv2.jpg

Last edited:
The musical instrument in the picture (I don't know what it is exactly but looks like saxophone) is so beautiful that I will be scared to touch it.

Some of Yamaha musical instruments are really good. Even some of their pianos are considered as second best pianos in the world..don't know about their guitar though...

Updated my Norge 1000 with a speaker protection circuit that I believe Mr. Bajaj should include by default. It eliminates the turn on pop as well as provides DC protection. Plus the amp doesn't continue to sing after turn of as in the stock due to stored charge in the electrolytics.

Few pics:

Imageshack - 52313673.jpg

How come Norge is selling amplifiers without speaker protection circuit in it?:sad:

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ed-system-thats-great-house-trance-music.html

I enjoyed ur dissection of norge. but what about the speaker? there was no detailed review on theor performance.

I used to audition each of the sony HI FI systems when they were introduced and each model was auditioned in several showrooms to hear how they sounded in different settings. they always had a plethora of drivers in each cabinet and the cabinet was mostly large in size. but the sound was not good. they were loud enough but that was it. they were good for disturbing the neighbours and from outside the house the bass appeared to sound good due to reverberation but go inside the house u were disappointed. in fact their earlier hi fi models sounded better despite being smaller. maybe the drivers were better designed. sony had 4.1 set up also and the sub woofers were huge whenever these were provided. these were built to a cost as the systems were all in one i.e cd,dvd,tape, fm etc and many of them were imported probably from Malaysia etc.

u can go to the link in hi fi vision indicated by me in the first line of the post where sony and Panasonics take on mass market av receiver type HTIBs is being discussed now.

if u are satisfied with these speakers maybe they required better amps than those in sony sets.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back