Anatomy of Norge 1000 GOLD Stereo Integrated Amplifier

I have already remedied the problem of crackling noise in the norge 1000 can be done to the 2060 too. Though you can make a breadboard kit of the speaker protection circuit many ready made kits (un soldered/ soldered) are available on ebay for less than 500 bucks. I have used them in many DIY amps. Better still go for a group buy for the PCBs and procure the components from India. Doing this will cut the price below 250 bucks. Here is a pic of my no turn on pop and instant off with DC protection mod to norge 1000.

BEFORE
ImageShack

Hi audiodoc,

I had a Norge 2060, in which the bass was a little bit leaner . When I had swapped the stock opamp to NE5532, there wasn't much of a difference in SQ, may be the OPAMP 4562 could have made it better in the pre-amp section. Also I did not try the Power caps upgrade path. Hence I upgraded my Amp to Marantz PM 6003. The difference between the two is that the Marantz has loads of Bass, is very fast, has good resolution, and a crisp treble, freq response is flat.

Anyway keep us posted, about the Capacitor upgraded performance, we will like to hear from you.

N.Murali

I agree with you in this matter, both Norge 1000 & 2060 lacks bass.

Last edited:
I have already remedied the problem of crackling noise in the norge 1000 can be done to the 2060 too. Though you can make a breadboard kit of the speaker protection circuit many ready made kits (un soldered/ soldered) are available on ebay for less than 500 bucks. I have used them in many DIY amps. Better still go for a group buy for the PCBs and procure the components from India. Doing this will cut the price below 250 bucks. Here is a pic of my no turn on pop and instant off with DC protection mod to norge 1000.

I have also improved the preamplifier section. Desoldered the TL072 and put IC sockets for all three OPamp chips. Yesterday I popped in some NE5532 opamps instead and I hear a subtle change for the better. Waiting for the burr brown OPamps to land from farnell. Will post the pics of the PREAMPLIFIER mods as soon as they come.
They will also be arriving soon. Have my fingers crossed for custom clearance. Don't want to say it but they are a PIT*. DIY should be encouraged in this country.This is why thinking minds mostly flee across borders to greener pastures worldwide!

When would I hear that there is no custom duty on kits.

Hope this helps.

Next up is the up gradation to 20000 microfarad nichicons on both rails. Hope that increases the bass. THE FINAL MOD WILL BE A OPA627 BASED SWITCH ABLE PREAMP SECTION WITH A RELAY BASED SOURCE SELECTOR WHICH WILL BE ADDED IN THE NEXT MONTH AND POSSIBLY A NEW HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER SECTION. MAN THERE IS SO MUCH FREE SPACE IN THAT PAR METAL CHASSIS. IF I FIND AN ALUMINUM MILLING AND BRUSHING FACILITY IN CHANDIGARH I WILL REDESIGN THE FRONT FASCIA EVEN WITH SOLID ALUMINUM VOLUME & SOURCE SELECTOR KNOBS WITH INDICATOR LEDS AND LASER MARKING WHO NEEDS BASS, TREBLE AND BALANCE CONTROLS.

That's the way to go Audiodoc.:thumbsup:

You are taking DIY of Norge 1000 to a new level. Wish you all the best.

I am quite avidly looking for the bass improvement of 1000. The truth is 1000 is a little bit lean on bass. Hope the fat Nichicons help in this matter.

Last edited:
Here are the final upgrades to the Norge 1000.

1436bc6c_1.jpeg

1. Speaker Protection Circuit: Removes the irritable turn on "pop" sound and provides instant turn off and DC protection.

2. Default preamplifier Mod: Removed on board TL072 opamps. Replaced with IC bases. Tried NE5532 followed by Burr Brown OPA2134s.

3. Installed a separate preamplifier based on the well known Burr Brown OPA627s with fixed gain jumpers bypassing volume control (volume controlled by DAC) with instant switching between the two pre amplifiers. Both sound different. Tired right now to compare will do it later.

4. Replacement of supply capacitors by 4x10000 microfarad Nichicons improved the bass in the lower octaves (was especially helpful for bass heavy tracks).

Last edited:
Here are the final upgrades to the Norge 1000.

1436bc6c_1.jpeg

1. Speaker Protection Circuit: Removes the irritable turn on "pop" sound and provides instant turn off and DC protection.

2. Default preamplifier Mod: Removed on board TL072 opamps. Replaced with IC bases. Tried NE5532 followed by Burr Brown OPA2134s.

3. Installed a separate preamplifier based on the well known Burr Brown OPA627s with fixed gain jumpers bypassing volume control (volume controlled by DAC) with instant switching between the two pre amplifiers. Both sound different. Tired right now to compare will do it later.

4. Replacement of supply capacitors by 4x10000 microfarad Nichicons improved the bass in the lower octaves (was especially helpful for bass heavy tracks).

Audiodoc, incredible work.:) You can set up a Norge Performance Shop now, where we will the dump the new Norge's so that they get even better after adding the performance components.:p

doc, from where did you buy those Nichicons caps & how much did they cost you? I am looking for a pair of 22,000uF, 71V caps preferably of Nichicon, Elna or Rubycons but are hard pressed to find.

I am also thinking of doing the cap upgrade of Norge. Can you feel a distinct advantage in low frequencies? Is it a small improvement or a big step?

Thanks in advance.

It is really an inspiring thread. Thanks rishiguru, audiodoc and others for such detailed and informative discussion about norge 1000.

I got them from ebay by bidding Rs. 250 each. Many believe that components from Hong Kong are fake. But checked mine with a LCR meter were fine but these are 50V ones. Nichicons have different versions Nichicon, Nichicon Muse, Gold Audio grade etc. Other good ones are elna, chemicon (discontinued), rubycon. If you fine none Indian ones are also available Pusumi and Alcon. I have used both.

Here are some links:

1 X Japan Nichicon 12000uF 71V Gold Audio capacitor NEW | eBay

1 X Japan Nichicon 12000uF 71V Gold Audio capacitor NEW items in along1986090 store on eBay!

1pcs New Japan Nichicon 12000uF 71V Gold Audio Grade Capacitor 35x58mm | eBay

There is definitely a change in the lower octaves the 20Hz-60Hz frequency band which feels more authoritative than previously. But actual difference can only be proven by a double blind listening test with an unmodded Norge 1000. Will try to find some one with one in Chandigarh.

Last edited:
I can imagine how painstaking job it was to write such a detailed review. This type of review is very rare on this forum, so many lessons to teach for new bees, Hats off to rishiguru.

It is really an inspiring thread.

Thanks for the appreciation.:)

Thanks rishiguru, audiodoc and others for such detailed and informative discussion about norge 1000.

I think audiodoc deserves more credit than me.

I analysed the amp which I admit was quite a painstaking work and wrote the details about it along with my thoughts.

But it is audiodoc who is the DIYer here. He modified this amp to get even better sonic experience.

Thanks to audiodoc once more.:)

Last edited:
I can imagine how painstaking job it was to write such a detailed review. This type of review is very rare on this forum, so many lessons to teach for new bees, Hats off to rishiguru.

I agree, Audiodoc and Rishi hats off!

Now please review the sonics and outcome.

PS: Dont you think digital volume control on DAC will lower SQ?

--G0bble

PS: Dont you think digital volume control on DAC will lower SQ?

--G0bble

It's a motorized potentiometer, so the signal path is all
old-style analog. He seems to have bypassed the volume control feature on the DAC.

90188634.jpg

Last edited:
I use a FiiO E7 on E9 as a DAC which has an analog potentiometer (An Alps one). Am building a volume control less DAC based on Burr Brown chips. Will be using the Pass B1 DIY Buffer pre with LDR volume control between the two to provide the cleanest path.

Re: Anatomy of Norge 2060

I love that you like it sunder. Enjoy!!!:)

Well all the five fuses used in Norge 1000 are T3AL250V.EI type. This means the fuse is rated at 3 ampere & 250 volts.

Well for sure these are slow blow fuses. i believe the "L" represents Time Lag.

They are of normal fuse size.

You can put it in any way you want. I personally have changed the direction with no effects.

Hi rishiguru, one more spec. i need for Norge 2060. What is the input sensitivity mV of 2060? Is it below 200mV or above that? Thank you.
Best regards.
sunder.

Last edited:
Re: Anatomy of Norge 2060

Hi rishiguru, one more spec. i need for Norge 2060. What is the input sensitivity mV of 2060? Is it below 200mV or above that? Thank you.
Best regards.
sunder.

Input sensitivity of both Norge 1000 & 2060 is 500mV.

Hope this helps.:)

I just got Norge 2060 amplifier. I connected it with my Samsung DVD player. I am really impressed with the output.

However, there is a stragne problem. When I connected my Sony Walkman to its Aux port, nothing happened. There was no sound at all. When I increased the gain to all the way to level 8 out of 10. I could hear very faint sound, but enough to know the song. After some trial and error, I found out the problem. I think there is some wiring problem inside Amp. Though I connected Walkman to Aux input, I have to select DVD source from front panel. So DVD button actually selects Aux input.

I can live with this mismatch, but what worries me is why I could hear the song when I selected Aux in first plance. Though it was audible only at higher gain, there must be some cross channel signal seepage is happening. Isn't it?

Isnt it better to push off the Norge1000 for less..

atleast with that half money do a fresh build from a ebay kit /some kit reputed one ..

Adding 1000Rs trafo, 1000Rs Caps , 700 Opamps , 1500 volume ++ ++ does not make sense

The transformer was not upgraded. The 1000's toroid alone will cost around 4K even more if you order from miracle. The cabinet will cost at least 2.5 k and the motorised pot for 1.5k. A good eBay kit with an output of 100 watt per channel will cost around 6k and even they will not have exotic capacitors. The nichicons muse capacitors 4x10000 microfarads are not available in any kit I know of. So as a package the Norge 1000 is equivalent to a good DIY effort for those who don't want the headache of arrange all the parts, especially the cabinet.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back