And then I subwoofed! Spendor with a subwoofer!

Thank you all!

There seem to be as many people frustrated with subs (sub rolling!) and given up and some who persisted and got through.

That the subs go lower than typical full range speakers seems to excite the room in unknown ways.

Thanks to help from my friends I got to try one out at zero cost and it has worked. A lack of home trial seems the bottleneck in a way? The thought of buying blind and then selling it seems a pain, especially as they weigh a lot!

A friend wrote to me saying I made it look easy - if I can muster enough energy to move this thing, perhaps I should try in a different room and see. Unlikely!!

For me the killer fine tuning was that the character of the voice did not change.
Hi Vivek I am thinking of buying SVS subwoofer costs Rs75k heard them in a shop sounded good last year , will try to see if they can give me a demo at home in New Delhi.
Will be keen to know what brand/model you finally buy after 6 months. thanks

Wonderfully written !

My experience is that the subwoofer is not just about the bass but improves the richness of the Midrange too ! have always felt male vocals do much better in speakers with lower extensions or with Subs.
To me SW effect shines more with detailed sounding fronts. Overall dynamic range increases and music sounds richer,fuller.

To me SW effect shines more with detailed sounding fronts. Overall dynamic range increases and music sounds richer,fuller.
If the RF3 horns were any sharper, they would draw blood(that's ad-copy from a Sony advert back in the 90s for an all in one that had horn loaded tweeters). I will hasten to add that it isn't harsh at all, right now paired with a NAD 325BEE it sounds great. I could listen to this system all day long. I am going to try the RELs high level connection and see if it is all that it's made out to be. I will post my impressions on what the sub does to the mid-range.

To me, one obvious advantage of using high level is that the sub and mains are much more likely to be phase aligned. Many sub woofer officionados will not go anywhere near a sub that doesn't have 0-180 continuously variable phase adjustment. Some of them claim to be able to do it by ear. But as I have read more about high level connection, there are disadvantages - cannot connect a single REL to monoblocks. Either tricky or not recommended with balanced differential output amplifiers. Better to use low level in these latter two cases.

The T7i strangely has only one low level Rca in and another LFE in. The sub evidently cannot sum the right and left inputs internally. Looks like REL definitely wants you to buy a pair.

Last edited:
Participating in these threads isn't good for the health of the wallet. First it was the Spendor classic 3/5s and now it's going to be a REL T7i. Snagged one yesterday on OLX, very nice audiophile seller. That was easy...

Now the arduous process of integrating the sub starts.
Hi Congrats,How much did you pay for the Spendor speakers and REL sub, I would like to do the same budget. thanks

Hi Congrats,How much did you pay for the Spendor speakers and REL sub, I would like to do the same budget. thanks
It's not fair to the dealer to quote prices here, its been a year since I got the Spendors. The classic 3/5 may no longer be available, now replaced by the classic 4/5 and bit more expensive. Was much much cheaper than KEF LS50. The dealer is really friendly and will arrange home demo in Bangalore. I auditioned the bigger 1/3s at home but they are a bit more expensive and dare I say lack the magic of the 3/5s. These are an acquired taste, fans of singer-songwriters(think Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Townes Van Zandt and so on) will swoon over these speakers. I don't know why but jazz sounds superb. The OP Vivek_R loves listening to western classical on these. Sidvee has had nothing but good things to say.

As for the sub, it is nearly new so paid 78k. Someone else might have wrangled a better deal but I am a terrible negotiator.

It's not fair to the dealer to quote prices here, its been a year since I got the Spendors. The classic 3/5 may no longer be available, now replaced by the classic 4/5 and bit more expensive. Was much much cheaper than KEF LS50. The dealer is really friendly and will arrange home demo in Bangalore. I auditioned the bigger 1/3s at home but they are a bit more expensive and dare I say lack the magic of the 3/5s. These are an acquired taste, fans of singer-songwriters(think Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Townes Van Zandt and so on) will swoon over these speakers. I don't know why but jazz sounds superb. The OP Vivek_R loves listening to western classical on these. Sidvee has had nothing but good things to say.

As for the sub, it is nearly new so paid 78k. Someone else might have wrangled a better deal but I am a terrible negotiator.
Cool n Fair enough, Cadence Pune is all India dealer of SPENDOR and he is yet to reply on cost and his dealer addrress in New Delhi. Cheers

Consider 2 smaller subs if possible. Instead of a very large single one. Better integration and cleaner bass in typical rooms.
I have two subs from different companies. An older REL Strata 2 (ported) and a New Martin Logan Dynamo 800x (sealed)
Can I use speaker outputs from my amp at the same time for both?

I have two subs from different companies. An older REL Strata 2 (ported) and a New Martin Logan Dynamo 800x (sealed)
Can I use speaker outputs from my amp at the same time for both?
You can since you will give the left to one sub and right to the other.
The ML should be simple as you may be connecting the L/R speaker cable to the L/R of the sub.

REL works differently since it has a speakon and for a single sub you give both R and L to it. for Dual subs they do have another connection config hence to look that up.

You can since you will give the left to one sub and right to the other.
The ML should be simple as you may be connecting the L/R speaker cable to the L/R of the sub.

REL works differently since it has a speakon and for a single sub you give both R and L to it. for Dual subs they do have another connection config hence to look that up.
Thanks.
I like to use speaker level outputs.
The amp is 2 channel, not a AV receiver
REL recommended two red terminals and one black terminal to three of four speakon connections (Neutrik) leaving one black hanging (insulated end)
The ML is straightforward each pair of speaker out to corresponding ML inputs
I am using both the SW one at a time like this.

Now to connect both the SWs at the same time can I do the same ? (7 bare wires from the two SWs into 4 speaker terminals) as the banana pin socket is used for the speakers?

(I foresee a headache coming with the crossover setting as they are not identical subs)

I think you need to twist together the 2 signal cables on the REl cable and connect it to red while Black goes to the black terminal. thats what. remember doing with Dual Rels

Check this out-

for the setup, suggest first putting the REL as they are usually advised in a corner and set it up.

Post that find the best position for the ML..you can google subwoofer crawl and risk being considered by family as going Loony when you do it :)

I think you need to twist together the 2 signal cables on the REl cable and connect it to red while Black goes to the black terminal. thats what. remember doing with Dual Rels

Check this out-

for the setup, suggest first putting the REL as they are usually advised in a corner and set it up.

Post that find the best position for the ML..you can google subwoofer crawl and risk being considered by family as going Loony when you do it :)
Thank you @arj will try this.
My family has come to terms with what goes on in this room; ...not even raised eyebrows unless they see or smell something burning.:D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back