Another plan for open baffles

And interest is one thing and practicality is another. Before dreaming, consider the requirement of OB speakers to be pulled out from the back and side walls. :p

How low can a FR driver go with OB if it resonance is around say 47Hz? Do we need to use a woofer along with the FR driver in an OB? My concern of going 2 way is the crossover required. If FR can't do justice to low end in an OB, then i will rather prefer TL as i don't have to worry about crossovers.

Yes Hari, a large OB woofer would be required in case you want frequencies lower than 50Hz. You could give the full, unadulterated signal to the full-range driver. The crossover is needed only for the woofer. That way you get the best of both worlds. You would need to manage the phase of the woofer, and also the relative sensitivity of the two drivers. Typically passive OB designs use two woofers for one full-range driver. Alternatively you could add an L-pad resistance in series of the full-range driver in order to match the volume levels. Going active gets rid of all these issues.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back