Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold

Never heard this gear, but going by the excited FMs out here, reviews on Net and also the pricing, this seems to be an exciting piece of electronics.

I hadn't heard of it either, but then, I had also never even considered a DAC at this kind of budget ---or any single piece of hifi equipment at this price, unless it was vastly reduced in a clearance sale--- until the recent high-end DAC thread: DAC around INR 100k

square_wave said:
That is some serious gear dude.
I understand it to be used in studio audio. I feel a pro endorsement to worth a great deal: thise guys do not spend money on marketing fluff :)

As an aside, what i see in the photo ; is that the original packaging the zodiac ships in ?
It does look a bit unimpressive, doesn't it! Perhaps a case of not wasting money on the wrapping. So long as it does its job ok.

(My most-unimpressive-packing: the display box for my Audio-Technica headphones. It is so unimpressive, looking like it should contain a product about 1/10 the price, that I wondered, at first, if I'd been sold a fake!)

But... the outer box has been cut to fit (or ...almost fit) so I doubt that it is original. Must be supplied to the dealer as several units to an outer.

Last edited:
It does look a bit unimpressive, doesn't it! Perhaps a case of not wasting money on the wrapping. So long as it does its job ok.

(My most-unimpressive-packing: the display box for my Audio-Technica headphones. It is so unimpressive, looking like it should contain a product about 1/10 the price, that I wondered, at first, if I'd been sold a fake!)

But... the outer box has been cut to fit (or ...almost fit) so I doubt that it is original. Must be supplied to the dealer as several units to an outer.

I was thinking protection while it goes through all that manhandling while shipped. Gear like this deserve much better packaging.

Awaiting impressions!

So shall we congratulate you on the acquisition yet? ;)
Now I can say, Congratulations.

Not yet :p

Dave, hiiiigh end! It's quite evident that you are thrilled with the update. Will be watching this thread.

Titus Bro, my back is broken with the weight of the price! :sad::eek::mad:
Can't buy a cheap thrill eh??? :eek:

Congrats Dave! Thats serious gear. Or rather, since yer a fella Rush fan, its really rather Sirius gear -- outta this world dude! way to go!

Manav, so far so good, at the price it bloody well has to :mad: Any ideas on what should compete with it head to head???

Never heard this gear, but going by the excited FMs out here, reviews on Net and also the pricing, this seems to be an exciting piece of electronics. Will follow this thread for your updates on listening impressions.

And ... not least, a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Everything about it is exciting, save the price :eek::mad::sad:

Congratulations Denom

:p

Denom, please do not keep us waiting for long..there are a number of FMs including me who have been deciding on a DAC..I for one am totally confused and have no idea whether to go for the $500 ones or $1500 ones...your opinion especially if compared to other DACs would be of great help...

Should I give you all a quick & dirty review or a proper one??? :D
This is killer, for me atleast.

That is some serious gear dude. What is the rest of the source setup computer audio ?

As an aside, what i see in the photo ; is that the original packaging the zodiac ships in ?

As of now, yes , computer audio. The packing was a additional back-up done by distri. Dunno whether he will send another unit to buyer in similar fashion or not. :cool:

I hadn't heard of it either, but then, I had also never even considered a DAC at this kind of budget ---or any single piece of hifi equipment at this price, unless it was vastly reduced in a clearance sale--- until the recent high-end DAC thread: DAC around INR 100k

I understand it to be used in studio audio. I feel a pro endorsement to worth a great deal: thise guys do not spend money on marketing fluff :)

Neither have I, but this was a roll of the proverbial dice! Pro-Audio, is a window to see what one can get through if 1 is viigilant & sensible. My take atleast

Not sure Thad, this is how I recd. it, so cannot comment on how it will be for others

I was thinking protection while it goes through all that manhandling while shipped. Gear like this deserve much better packaging.

100% agree :eek:

Good buy Denom. looking forward to hearing your review

Oh, you will in due course of time.
Right now completely tired to write anything. Long session of comparo between Zodiac Gold Vs Prism Orpheus concluded short while back.

denom, I got my ODAC today. It's nice, and takes up much less space: I'll swap with you if you like :D :lol:

I guess that the thing with the box is the old air force saying: any landing you can walk away from is a good one. But I do think that dealer should invest in some bubble wrap!

* * * Vs Prism Orpheus * * *

I just noticed that. You got one of those too? My God!

Last edited:
denom, I got my ODAC today. It's nice, and takes up much less space: I'll swap with you if you like :D :lol:

:lol: Thanks, but I'll pass the kind offer :D

I guess that the thing with the box is the old air force saying: any landing you can walk away from is a good one. But I do think that dealer should invest in some bubble wrap!

Very true, but good thing is that it came in 1 piece! Have already given him a hint on the packing part, as have to Antelope Audio. Another positive is that the feedback was appreciated by the distri promptly :p

I just noticed that. You got one of those too? My God!

No, no, no! The Prism was only present for a cameo role(a meaty one at that!) during the A/B Comparo

Feeling lazy to complete my initial views, need some 'inspiration' to wrap up on the writing ASAP :eek:hyeah:

Maybe will wind up by tonight.

Dave, while we wait for the listening impression, how about telling us about your purchase experience. I did see one on sale on gon a few weeks back...is it the one? Also did you face any issues in shipping/customs?

No, no, no! The Prism was only present for a cameo role(a meaty one at that!) during the A/B Comparo

But you actually had your hands on it, in your own home. Obviously you have chosen the Antelope, but comments on the Prism would be very welcome too.

[QUOTE

Feeling lazy to complete my initial views, need some 'inspiration' to wrap up on the writing ASAP :eek:hyeah:

Maybe will wind up by tonight.[/QUOTE]

Denom we all know your flair for writing. May your 'critic' will inspire you on an earlier review you had written, I guess the Pune meet :)

Thad E Ginathom said:

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold
Quote: Originally Posted by denom

But you actually had your hands on it, in your own home. Obviously you have chosen the Antelope, but comments on the Prism would be very welcome too.

Anxiously awaiting ...:)

C'mon Denom, it's been more than a week now...give us your impressions on the Zodiac ... lots of people are waiting eagerly to hear your views especially a comparison with a similar priced or higher option...

Yes Thad, will be doing that too, but all this takes a lot of time, which at the moment is not available to me so pls bear with me :)

Denom we all know your flair for writing. May your 'critic' will inspire you on an earlier review you had written, I guess the Pune meet :)

Thanks for the kind words, am getting there, step by step :D

Anxiously awaiting ...:)

Sorry for the long wait, pls bear with me :)

Hey Denom,

You do not have a system in your signature. What is your system like ?

I think he has active speakers... Genelecs. Denom?

Thanks Titus for answering SW's query :)

Me Thinks Denom is in a Trance.... listening to his new DAC :)

Yes sir, indeed :eek:hyeah:

C'mon Denom, it's been more than a week now...give us your impressions on the Zodiac ... lots of people are waiting eagerly to hear your views especially a comparison with a similar priced or higher option...

Panditji, I do realise that lots of my forum friends are eagerly waiting for my review, but have not been getting the time to do so, was quite tied up with work. Will try to put in something pretty soon. Thanks for being patient :)

Denom dude! Wakey wakey! Put fingers to keyboard!

Yes bro, working on it. Thoda aur time chaheeyay :lol:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back