Any contact number for the Bangalore Postal Service Customs office

john_k_antony

Hi,

One on my packages from US sent through USPS is stuck at the Bangalore postal service customs office. When I called up Postal Service, they gave me this number 080 25589992 and this number never works :(. I got this number form Bangalore Postal Service help line number - 080 25589993.

The package has been stuck at customs for more than 7 days now. I have not got a call or any other means of updates from customs. I think Bangalore postal customs office is in Museum road right?

This means I need to go there and ask them to release the package.

The package contents are raw materials for making a projector screen. So can I bargain on the import duties as its "raw" materials and not finished product? The invoice clearly says its raw materials. That total invoice amount including shipping is $181. In case if I need to pay the duties, what should be the nominal amount? 1-2k ? What are the documents I need to carry when I go to the postal customs office? Just the invoice from the US online store is fine?

Any previous experience dealing with these notorious bribe hungry customs officials will be greatly appreciated :D.

Thanks,
John.

Ok. I think this is time to visit the place directly. Do you really believe in calling them up and get the work done (that too from a govt organisation!!!)
Normally they would send a notification (through ocal post) to come down to the customs post office to collect the product.

Yes it's in Museum Road. I had been there couple of times myself. But when it comes to bribe'ing i am not a good gamer there!
You need to take the invoice. You would then need to meet the commissioner who then verify your document with what is there in the parcel. If everything matches, you will then be informed to pay the customs duty (which the commissioner calculates in front of you, in his cabin!!).
If you go with the intention of bribe-ing and then you are good at it.. you would then first meet the assistant who sits outside the cabin. Talk to him and see if you can fix out something.
Remember - you are visiting a govt area, So expect the unexpected (including money, time, parking!!! hehehe.. once i had no space for parking my two wheeler, then i had to park in bylane!!! which is again a tow-way zone!!) All the best.

Thanks for the info. I am expecting the unexpected when ever I am going to the govt office. I had a very bitter experience with BDA officers few years back. Even after bribing, they delayed my work for more than 8 months :(. I am going with no hopes what so ever that I get justice. But I need to get my item from them, so have to go there and convince them its just a raw material for making a projection screen for office purpose :). I kept the package address to my office address for that reason only :D.

Lets see.

BTW, do they work on Saturdays?

-John.

John,

The Bangalore guys are good. I've been there many times. Normally they send you a letter asking you for a letter detailing what the parcel is and you can supply a copy of the invoice and send the letter back to them. They then release the package in a week. Although I've gone there and paid the relevant customs duties calculated by the guy in front of me he's never handed over the parcel. It goes through a process and is delivered to you. Only once when I went to the basement in the Museum road post office where all the parcels are kept I paid and collected directly. This was when I got a letter mentioning the customs amount payable. Other times I've got letters asking me to clarify the goods only and send a copy of the invoice. These times I've had to go on top to the man in the cabin.

The guy there is not bribe hungry nor does he seem to circumvent rules. I've even had a good chat with him on advertising and how ad agencies make so much money according to him. Was a nice guy. It's when you start thinking of how to cut down the legal customs amount that bribes start popping up. Take your product invoice with you. It's enough. He might ask you if you have an import licence or something like that. Tell him its personal then he'll calculate the customs charges.

Regards

Last edited:
Steve,

Thanks for the inputs dude. Even I am willing to pay the right duties if its calculated properly. I also like to stay away from all this bribe business. But my experience with BDA has been very bad :(. There only bribe works, nothing else. So I am little prejudiced with these govt offices :).

I will check if they have sent me any letter already. If its not there, I will go to their office on Monday with the invoice and hasten the process.

Thanks,
John.

Hi,

Just got back from the post office collecting my stuff :yahoo:

The whole process was smooth and I would really like to thank Stevie in giving me the confidence to go to customs and ask for proper duty. And it worked :).

So here is what happened.

1. I went to the post office customs office in Museum road. The customs office is in 3rd floor.
2. Met the customs officer and showed the invoice. The invoice was for $181 including shipping.
3. He checked in a book and got the duty slab for projection screen. And the duty was around 30%.
4. He calculated the duty in front of me using an XL sheet and told me I have to pay Rs 3,300/-
5. I just requested for a waiver telling him that its a raw material and not a finished product.
6. To my surprise, he agreed to that and reduced the duty to Rs 1550/- ;).
7. Customs officer said, he can't give the item to me there and I have to get it from the local post office.
8. This happened on Monday, 12-Aug evening.
9. Today, Wednesday, 14-Aug I get a call from the local post office that my parcel is there with them and I need to pay the duty to collect it.
10. I went to the post office, paid the duty amount and got the package. Actually you don't need to go the post office, the post man will deliver the package to your address. And they accept the duty only in cash.

The whole process was extremely smooth and transparent. To say the least, I still can't believe it went so smooth :).

-John.

Hi,

The whole process was smooth and I would really like to thank Stevie in giving me the confidence to go to customs and ask for proper duty. And it worked :).

1. I went to the post office customs office in Museum road. The customs office is in 3rd floor.
2. Met the customs officer and showed the invoice. The invoice was for $181 including shipping.
3. He checked in a book and got the duty slab for projection screen. And the duty was around 30%.
4. He calculated the duty in front of me using an XL sheet and told me I have to pay Rs 3,300/-
5. I just requested for a waiver telling him that its a raw material and not a finished product.
7. Customs officer said, he can't give the item to me there and I have to get it from the local post office.
9. Today, Wednesday, 14-Aug I get a call from the local post office that my parcel is there with them and I need to pay the duty to collect it.
10. I went to the post office, paid the duty amount and got the package. Actually you don't need to go the post office, the post man will deliver the package to your address. And they accept the duty only in cash.

The whole process was extremely smooth and transparent. To say the least, I still can't believe it went so smooth :).

-John.

John,

Congrats on getting your package successfully from Customs & Postal Department.

I am in a similar kind of situation but in Mumbai. The Mumbai Customs and Postal Department is completely incompetent (even that is an understatement).

I contacted Mumbai customs at [email protected] who said that they don't have any information about it and asked me to contact Postal Appraising Section on their mail id [email protected].

I then contacted Postal Appraising Section - [email protected] who said that the parcel is with APSO, Mumbai Customs and asked me to contact them at [email protected]. I contacted APSO, Mumbai Customs but have not received any reply yet.

So now, Even after chasing them for a week, I am not able to get even the proper department or location where I can find status about my parcel. Very Very disappointing!!!

John,

Congrats on getting your package successfully from Customs & Postal Department.

I am in a similar kind of situation but in Mumbai. The Mumbai Customs and Postal Department is completely incompetent (even that is an understatement).

I contacted Mumbai customs at [email protected] who said that they don't have any information about it and asked me to contact Postal Appraising Section on their mail id [email protected].

I then contacted Postal Appraising Section - [email protected] who said that the parcel is with APSO, Mumbai Customs and asked me to contact them at [email protected]. I contacted APSO, Mumbai Customs but have not received any reply yet.

So now, Even after chasing them for a week, I am not able to get even the proper department or location where I can find status about my parcel. Very Very disappointing!!!

This is indeed very disappointing. I was expecting exactly the same kind of experience here in Bangalore as well. But Stevie gave me the confidence to go ahead the talk to them. And it went extremely smooth and as I mentioned before, I still can't believe it happened so transparent.

I think you need to visit them rather than sending emails and phone calls. It might help. Anyways, good luck with your dealings with them :).

Thanks,
John.

Hi,

-John.

Yes , Bangalore customs office is good . I have had the same fear of dealing with govt officials , bribe etc , but it all went smooth and paid the duty to the postman who gave me a receipt for it . We need to give credit to these folks in this office - if there is a way to do it .

Yes , Bangalore customs office is good . I have had the same fear of dealing with govt officials , bribe etc , but it all went smooth and paid the duty to the postman who gave me a receipt for it . We need to give credit to these folks in this office - if there is a way to do it .

Totally agree. Need to appreciate the good work.

My Parcel is delayed for 3months

Hi,

One of my PARCEL from US sent through USPS IS delayed for 3 months(left in the aug month 1st week),the tracker is only showing that it is left US ...where it has stuck is the question.can any1 guide me where to go and ask in bangalore

Is it stuck at the Bangalore postal service customs office. ???

or else where can i go investigate ????

any1 of u please help....

Ok. I think this is time to visit the place directly. Do you really believe in calling them up and get the work done (that too from a govt organisation!!!)
Normally they would send a notification (through ocal post) to come down to the customs post office to collect the product.

Yes it's in Museum Road. I had been there couple of times myself. But when it comes to bribe'ing i am not a good gamer there!
You need to take the invoice. You would then need to meet the commissioner who then verify your document with what is there in the parcel. If everything matches, you will then be informed to pay the customs duty (which the commissioner calculates in front of you, in his cabin!!).
If you go with the intention of bribe-ing and then you are good at it.. you would then first meet the assistant who sits outside the cabin. Talk to him and see if you can fix out something.
Remember - you are visiting a govt area, So expect the unexpected (including money, time, parking!!! hehehe.. once i had no space for parking my two wheeler, then i had to park in bylane!!! which is again a tow-way zone!!) All the best.

Last edited:
Hi,

One of my PARCEL from US sent through USPS IS delayed for 3 months,the tracker is only showing that it is left US ...where it has stuck is the question.can any1 guide me where to go and ask in bangalore

Is it stuck at the Bangalore postal service customs office. ???

or else where can i go investigate ????

any1 of u please help....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back