Customs trouble?

tek

Hi guys

Just checking to see if anyone had any recent problems with customs while buying records online?

So far, I've not really had any issues. When ordering from eBay or Discogs, I get regular USPS or Royal Mail shipping, and it usually reaches me in 2-3 weeks without any duties. Sometimes, when ordered via Fedex or DHL, I get charged duty but I pay it when the parcel comes, usually in 3-4 days.

Recently, I placed 2 orders. 1 on Discogs and 1 on Ebay UK. The Ebay UK order reached me in about 10 days with no duty. My Discogs order has been stuck in customs (I think). I received a shipping update that it left the US on Jan 30th, but I have not received any notification about it since then. Should I just wait and hope it shows up, or go to the customs office in Ballard Estate? I know that If I go down there, I will probably have to not only pay duties, but also a bribe to get it out. I would rather avoid this. Also, I don't want to go there and pay as they might hold up all future parcels in hopes that I will come and keep paying. What's the best thing to do ? It's been 25 days since the parcel has been in India. Should I wait another few weeks before biting the bullet and going there? Anyone else with similar experiences?

For the most part, I have always received my records in the mail. I think I only lost 1 over the last 5 years, and I got refunded for it. One time, I got a record 4 months after I ordered it, so maybe there is hope?

Nope, no issues. I'd bought a few records recently from Elusive Disc: a set of LPs and CDs in November, and one set of LPs and CDs in January. They were shipped to me via USPS. They arrived at my Kochi address within 3 days and 6 days (respectively) of the packets entering India. No duty was charged.

I've ordered LPs and CDs and other stuff from Elusive Disc about 4 times now, since september last year, and I've never had to pay duty yet. My packets are decently big, as I always try to combine as many things as I can per purchase, to spread the shipping cost across.

25 days in India is a bit long. Don't you get a status update of the position when you track the package? Does it say that the items are still in customs? I'd wait till the 28th and then investigate.

Last edited:
Dear Tek,
contact the foreign post office (its not too far from your residence), the guys are pretty straight forward. I never had to bribe anyone.
The commisioner is a very articulate and educated chap. He does own a record player and hence understands. He will charge you only the applicable duty amount and that's that.

Yeah I think i'll wait till the end of the week before going to the foreign post office. I remember last time I had to give a letter saying the items were for personal use, along with the invoice, etc.

It's strange to me how some parcels come through without any issues, and some get stuck. I wonder what kind of system they have for these.

Shouldn't LPs be duty free? Aren't CDs and DVDs duty free now? Maybe we can raise a petition to make LPs duty free! :)

@tek, if the item was sent by USPS, you will get the current status by using the link that sachu888 has posted above. I track my USPS packages that way, and the status information gets updated reasonably fast (just one day delay at the maximum). As malvai mentioned, your local Foreign Post Office will also be able to help.

I've bought a fair share of DVDs online from Amazon USA. No issues whatsoever!

So we can buy DVDs not passed by Indian Censor Board and it is legal?
What about those type of ahem ... non-veg movies? ;);)
Will they be confiscated?

Just curious ... :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

I have ordered LPs and CDs from various international sites. Sometimes I had to pay duty and sometimes not. Sometimes they reached me on time and sometimes they were held up for weeks for customs clearance. In all my parcels, I saw no relation between parcel size, contents and the instances when I faced problems.

In my opinion, it all depends on your luck.

I tried using the link Sachu gave to track but when I enter my USPS shipping code it says "Consignment not found". I can track it on the USPS website up till the point it left US. I think i'll wait for another week-10 days before going down to the post office.

I tried using the link Sachu gave to track but when I enter my USPS shipping code it says "Consignment not found". I can track it on the USPS website up till the point it left US. I think i'll wait for another week-10 days before going down to the post office.

hi Tek,
if your consignment is send as mail letter then it is not tracked in India. I have lost a consignment of tubes costing 13k this way. Please go to FPO and try to track it personally or else it will be lost. This problem is very peculiar with Mumbai FPO. Next time when you order do make it a point to mention that you need to track the parcel in India as well.
BTW usually consignments costing less than 20k are not charged for duty. This information was provided by a custom clearing agent.
Best of Luck

Abhijit

First class mail is not traceable outside US.You can not track it once it left US.Indian postal dept doen't scan it.Only Registered,Priority and Express mail from US are traceable in India.

Regards,
Sachin

Just got a call from home saying the package came through! Will go home after work and check it out! Guess I had to pay about Rs 300 for duty.. not bad.

Guess the only thing you require when buying online from India is PATIENCE! :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back