Customs duty on subwoofer.......

jedviper

I am on dubai trip currently........ getting good deals on 2 subwoofers... I want to buy one of these and bring to India...
what will be the customs duty on it at Indian airport?

1) one subwoofer cost is 42k and weight is around 19-20 kgs........ Heard article under 50k are exempted

2) Another subwoofer costing around 67K weight is around 21 Kgs.... if exemption is 50k , then will I pay custom duty on 17K or full amount? what will be the customs duty on it?

shall i bring it in box.... or packed in bag?

I am on dubai trip currently........ getting good deals on 2 subwoofers... I want to buy one of these and bring to India...
38.5% + applicable taxes

1) one subwoofer cost is 42k and weight is around 19-20 kgs........ Heard article under 50k are exempted
Yes

2) Another subwoofer costing around 67K weight is around 21 Kgs.... if exemption is 50k , then will I pay custom duty on 17K or full amount? what will be the customs duty on it?
On 17K

Checked baggage in its original box.

Somehow regardless of rules, customs will be levied. You need to factor total costs involved and there will be no warranty available should something go wrong.

Why not check with the various subwoofer dealers we have in India (especially the dealers who deal with the brand and model you want) and see the different in pricing and ofcourse the warranty offered.

If you are fine with using the sub minus the warranty, then perhaps it makes sense to pick a subwoofer here in India (sellers who directly import and sell without warranty).

End of the day, it is your decision.

Last edited:

20 kgs is quite a lot from baggage point of view. Besides you will have your personal stuff and will have to fit it within the 25 kgs + hand baggage allowance. Besides no point in getting it without the carton as you will be risking damage to the sub. The customs officials will be happy to welcome people with electronics :) . Not sure if it is worth the headache if it is available in India.,

If the the same subwoofer is available here with around 20k mark up, it would be better to buy from here since your warranty will also be valid in India.

getting SVS PB1000 at AED 1890, Rs.42K ...... In India Its price is 85K

and SVS PB 1000 pro at AED 2520, Rs.57K....... In India its price is 127K (Amazon India : 123K)

Last edited:
getting SVS PB1000 at AED 1890, Rs.42K ...... In India Its prince is 85K

and SVS PB 1000 pro at AED 2520, Rs.57K....... In India its price is 127K (Amazon India : 123K)
There is a PB 1000 on sale in the HFV classifieds for 55k.

There was a HSU 15 inch. subwoofer for around 60k in the classifieds if you are ok with pre-owned stuff after checking their respective condition.

PB 1000 for 85k in India is certainly not worth it. To get it from Dubai offcourse would be your prerogative.

Last edited:
I believe the one purchased here locally would be backed with 5 years unconditional warranty,
I know..... my existing sub is PB1000 and I am purchasing new for dual.... When I purchased existing sub, dealership was in Mumbai, later it moved to Gurgaon...., existing Sub developed a problem after warranty, but SVS India were not having any service center in Mumbai....

I know..... my existing sub is PB1000 and I am purchasing new for dual.... When I purchased existing sub, dealership was in Mumbai, later it moved to Gurgaon...., existing Sub developed a problem after warranty, but SVS India were not having any service center in Mumbai....
Then it makes sense to buy in DXB. Warranty amounts to squat if service is not available locally.
Just make sure you do the math on excess baggage etc to be sure the price differential is worth it.

I currently use SVS SB1000 which I picked from Total Home Theatres Mumbai....assured by Mr Samay (Delhi / Gurgaon) for unconditional warranty for 5 years. He supplies the stock to Total Home Theatres. He has been supportive so far.

I currently use SVS SB1000 which I picked from Total Home Theatres Mumbai....assured by Mr Samay (Delhi / Gurgaon) for unconditional warranty for 5 years. He supplies the stock to Total Home Theatres. He has been supportive so far.
Can u provide contact details of total home theatre?

Where is ur NSD-12 gone? Many years back I visited ur home for its demo

Contact number - Darius 98217 57571
Darius Kotwal ? I met him before in 2012-13 when I was taking demos of Home theater, at that time he opened his new showroom at Nariman Point .

never owned a NSD-12 and I believe you are mistaken me for someone else.
Ok .... hez also having ID similar to yours...... he helped me a lot before buying sub and also gave demo of his NSD-12 at his residence in Navi Mumbai

Back