any differences in blu-ray's from diff regiions

Shailendra I didnt understand what you meant here

"Also, the audio is clearly mentioned as either Dolby Stereo or Mono. On the Indian discs, without any exception, they are always "Dolby 5.1" which means a monoaural stream from all the 5 speakers as also the sub-woofer"

Can you elaborate. What do you mean by monoaural stream. Isnt 5.1 sound meant for movies. who would want to watch a movie in stereo or Mono. Beats me!!!

Yes, in the new movies you do get 5.1 in both US and Indian prints - though the SQ is farr better in the US versions. When you are talking of old monoaural Hindi movies, in the US prints they are clearly mentioned as Dolby Mono (or at the most Stereo). But in the Indian prints they are claimed to be 5.1 which only belts out the same sound from all the channels. I hope I am making sense now.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Hmm...interesting. Though I have never come across any such DVD's. But I guess you have a point. They have the habit of taking consumers for granted here.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

i think you are comparing the indian releases of hindi movies here
as far as i know there are only 4-5 bollywood movies on bd as of date(om shanthi om/newyork/jodha akbar/rock on/sawariya) , but sure many more are on thier way
i do have the movie newyork ,but yet to chk out its quality

but in dvd , the quality of the bolywood releases are most of the time below average --in respect to SQ theres exagerated frequencies and the PQ is bad
(exceptions being the DVDs of Fana/ ghajini/ tare zameen par/ dostana etc )

the reason for the bad quality cud be the issue in pricing . A hindi movie wud cost btw 100--300 so definetly there wud be issues during production/pressing/blanks, as u rightly said poor technology

reg 1 discs are still expensive 500-800

As stated earlier -I am comparing Same movie relased in different regions.
A no of peole told me that US versions are far better than Indian one - I do not have same movie in both versions so unable to confirm this. Though I have THX mastered Towering Inferno ( Dolby Digital,Region 1 NTSC, ) Video quality is very good)

In fact it is claimed that US CD's are better minted and so sound better...any expert views??

Well, reason can be the same what I m trying to say.
Movies say Xmen ,made in US will look better than made here(by? Eros/other) as technology to record on BD can be poor here(comparing to US).
If we improve,then it can be similar.

Well, reason can be the same what I m trying to say.
Movies say Xmen ,made in US will look better than made here(by? Eros/other) as technology to record on BD can be poor here(comparing to US).
If we improve,then it can be similar.

Reasons may be many

But we want to know wheather Same Movies relesed on BR in diff regions (that is in US and In India) have same Picture Quality and Audio Quality and same content or not?????????

Any expert comments with first hand experience???

SQ of audio cd's i've bought from asia (india/uae/singapore) didnt seem to be as crisp as those from europe/us. the quality of the disc manufacturer's process and the mastering process will come into play.
as for BD's even though they might not be manufactured esp. for india but there might be slight differences depending on where they are made.
anyways apparently not all region A/B/C discs are region locked. check out this site

Blu-Ray Region Code Info

can anyone confirm this. maybe play one of the region A (unlocked) movies a reg C player

Reasons may be many

But we want to know wheather Same Movies relesed on BR in diff regions (that is in US and In India) have same Picture Quality and Audio Quality and same content or not?????????

Any expert comments with first hand experience???

this has been answered in previous posts

theres no difference in PQ and SQ btw regA /regC

SQ of audio cd's i've bought from asia (india/uae/singapore) didnt seem to be as crisp as those from europe/us. the quality of the disc manufacturer's process and the mastering process will come into play.
as for BD's even though they might not be manufactured esp. for india but there might be slight differences depending on where they are made.
anyways apparently not all region A/B/C discs are region locked. check out this site

Blu-Ray Region Code Info

can anyone confirm this. maybe play one of the region A (unlocked) movies a reg C player

most Bd's released in indian market (big home/excel/sony) are multi region

need to confirm what audio :eng --pcm 5.1 stands for ?

some old movie released on sony brd says this about audio

does this mean hd audio or jst dd/dts/prologic

need to confirm what audio :eng --pcm 5.1 stands for ?

some old movie released on sony brd says this about audio

does this mean hd audio or jst dd/dts/prologic

English PCM(Pulse Code Modulation) 5.1 is neither HD nor dd/dts/prologic.
It's a 16bit audio at a sampling rate of 44kHz producing a sound of 98dB, as compared to DD/DTS which is 24bit audio at a sampling rate of 48kHz producing sound of 120dB. So in general PCM/LPCM is one step lower in SQ comapred to DD/DTS.

cheers.

English PCM(Pulse Code Modulation) 5.1 is neither HD nor dd/dts/prologic.
It's a 16bit audio at a sampling rate of 44kHz producing a sound of 98dB, as compared to DD/DTS which is 24bit audio at a sampling rate of 48kHz producing sound of 120dB. So in general PCM/LPCM is one step lower in SQ comapred to DD/DTS.

cheers.

thanks for the info
does this mean that the sound will still be 5.1

if its a step lower in audio, than i guess its not worth to invest on these discs, no wonder it was selling @ a discount

thanks for the info
does this mean that the sound will still be 5.1

if its a step lower in audio, than i guess its not worth to invest on these discs, no wonder it was selling @ a discount

only through HDMI connection you get 5.1, anyother means will give you only 2 channel.

cheers.

only through HDMI connection you get 5.1, anyother means will give you only 2 channel.

cheers.

what wud the avr display (of course with Hdmi)
asking this , as i wanted to pick up the Godzilla (roland emmerich's older movie) Bd and saw the audio as pcm5.1 , this movie has some great bass effects . i guess the audio will not be better than the dvd which i already have in DD

what wud the avr display (of course with Hdmi)
asking this , as i wanted to pick up the Godzilla (roland emmerich's older movie) Bd and saw the audio as pcm5.1 , this movie has some great bass effects . i guess the audio will not be better than the dvd which i already have in DD

I've not tried with a BD, but my downloaded files just shows as PCM on the top left corner. But even when you compare DD/DTS audio's bitrates of a normal DVD and a BD, definitely there is a difference, i.e. a DD/DTS audio quality of a BD is superior to that of a DVD.

cheers.

If BDP sends LPCM via HDMI then same on screen.
If BDP sends aud as bitsreame,then must be DD-HD or similar.
Pls.someone confirm this.

If BDP send LPCM then it shows multichannel on the AVR display and when BDP bitstreams then it shows Dolby True HD or DTS HD master audio as according to the track played on the BD player.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back