Any high efficiency bookshelf speakers?

Other than whats mentioned above
Maybe Tannoy or Kef with their concentric drivers may have something 90+db.

Else horns are the next option.

Full range driver speakers will definitely get you there.

Zu Audio is another manufacturer that comes to mind for high efficiency speakers.
Zu audio would definitely be of interest. Any idea where I can audition them?
Audionote sells pre-owned stuff of their and other brands too on their Indian website which you can take a look.
Thanks. Will check this out

Mate! there is a reason I said "to mention!" and its easy for OP to try the ones mentioned for 15 days or check with Amit himself just to confirm!
Of course he can do that. I was just pointing out that running with an Anode tube amp in no way makes it SET friendly since the way you have written blow alludes to that
Yes they are! they are run with anode acoustics tube amplifiers.. just to mention!

I would be very surprised if it does run with an SET though since those speakers do need to be designed that way and there are very few who have got it right with bookshelves without Lowther/ Fostex single drivers or Horns. The only one I can remember is the Reference 3a speakers like the mm De capo

But would be great if that design does it
Thanks. £ 4695 (plus customs duty) is a lot (for me) to put in on something unheard.
The specs are definitely pretty good.

There was a LothX speaker for sale on OLX that could drive SETs well,,not sure which one..

Getting high sensitivity and easy to drive bookshelf speakers is tough one. The smaller the speaker, tougher it is to drive. Dedicated design and market need to make such speakers is necessary for manufacturers to embark on such a journey. Most manufacturers just add drivers to get loudness and sensitivity boost. The same low efficiency driver in an MTM floor-standing design will gain a lot in terms of loudness .. so that is the easy way out.

Companies like Audionote, Von Gaylord, Single driver full range designs, Tannoy, Fyne audio, Zu, erstwhile GMA etc. are good examples of high sensitivity designs. If you like a large bookshelf speaker, the new Mission 770 is an extremely easy to drive design although the 88 db says otherwise. A 20 watt tube amp will work just fine with it. And it sounds brilliant although the white baffle is an acquired taste.

@Analogous
What’s your budget for the speaker?
The AN-E series from Audio Note is typically 97.5 db, but they’re expensive. The AN-J series at 93 db might be more than enough for a smaller room.
I say this because a friend‘s AN-E SPe HE, being driven by an 8 wpc 300B amp, is just too much for his 10x14 room. We’re now trying to figure out room treatment to control the bass.

@Analogous
The AN-E series from Audio Note is typically 97.5 db, but they’re expensive. The AN-J series at 93 db might be more than enough for a smaller room.
I say this because a friend‘s AN-E SPe HE, being driven by an 8 wpc 300B amp, is just too much for his 10x14 room. We’re now trying to figure out room treatment to control the bass.
And they maybe available second hand from audio note india. Do remember audio note has a very prominent house sound so do hear them with the intended amp.

About the bass, i noticed it too at the demo room. A bit less controlled.

Check https://www.blumenhofer-acoustics.com/Products/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.php , they are not exactly high efficiency but are easy to drive because of 8 ohm load. Another option is Audio Notes, they are also easy to drive with PPs . For SETs ideally you should get Rethm or Lyrita Audio speakers . See the new https://www.rethm.com/aarka.html , Jacob himself picks the call if you call the number on their website.
So Rethm uses a hypex amp for subwoofer and a tube amp could be used for mids and highs, while Lyrita is fully driven only by a set amp ?

@Analogous
Thanks @coaltrain. I was researching AN bookshelf speakers. Several owners have pointed out the difficult to tame bass with AN E. it would be more so in a smaller room? I looked at the AN J ((smaller) but I am trying to figure out the recommended close to corner placement design of this brand.
I would love to listen to AN speakers some time, but Mumbai is too far and I am not keen on long journeys.
@Analogous
1-2L. But suitable pre owned speakers in good condition are fine too

Why don’t you consider the Rethm Arka with its built in amp? I believe it’s good. Also favourable reviews. It will be in your budget.

Thanks @coaltrain. I was researching AN bookshelf speakers. Several owners have pointed out the difficult to tame bass with AN E. it would be more so in a smaller room? I looked at the AN J ((smaller) but I am trying to figure out the recommended close to corner placement design of this brand.
I would love to listen to AN speakers some time, but Mumbai is too far and I am not keen on long journeys.

1-2L. But suitable pre owned speakers in good condition are fine too

I have done quite a bit of listening to the ANE and ANJ speakers and also spoken to a a few experienced AN users in the UK.

To make the ANE's work right, it needs room corner loading and also the right size room. So, placement tweaking is a big thing with that speaker. But the rewards you get when the speaker loads up right, is astounding! Breathtaking sound with beautiful tone. Most of the setups at audio shows don't do those speakers any justice.

The ANJ gives a very similar sound but with slightly lesser scale and those speakers work away from the walls too. So a lot of people prefer those to the ANEs.

In the UK, there are many experienced users who use audionote with other electronics. If you choose wisely they will work great. But if you want the intended " audionote " approach to hifi, you need to go with a full audionote system.. atleast speaker, amp and wires.

I have done quite a bit of listening to the ANE and ANJ speakers and also spoken to a a few experienced AN users in the UK.

To make the ANE's work right, it needs room corner loading and also the right size room. So, placement tweaking is a big thing with that speaker. But the rewards you get when the speaker loads up right, is astounding! Breathtaking sound with beautiful tone. Most of the setups at audio shows don't do those speakers any justice.

The ANJ gives a very similar sound but with slightly lesser scale and those speakers work away from the walls too. So a lot of people prefer those to the ANEs.

In the UK, there are many experienced users who use audionote with other electronics. If you choose wisely they will work great. But if you want the intended " audionote " approach to hifi, you need to go with a full audionote system.. atleast speaker, amp and wires.

Totally agree. An all AN setup delivers sublime tone and timbre.
But the rabbit hole they open is pretty deep :)

Here is a discussion on DIY Audio forum related to the topic in case anyone is interested

Totally agree. An all AN setup delivers sublime tone and timbre.
But the rabbit hole they open is pretty deep :)
Yes, it is almost like a religion. The speaker is the first step...the hand that lifts you up. Everything else follows and there is no escape!

Has anyone heard the Tozzi one with CHN50 full range drivers?
It’s 85db and 6ohms
Grateful to anyone who has them or heard them and can share their impressions and opinions.

Last edited:
High efficiency requires size. Your not getting this in a bookshelf size speaker. They may use a CD with a small horn but it is a compromise. It may say 100db on the tin but its a lie. You might want to look at small pro speakers with a coax that are vented.

I am using SET GM70 tube watts amp and running Totem rainmaker which drives it effortlessly even though its is 4 ohms and sensitivity: 86.5dB/m

Not much mention of Klipsch...
All their speakers are 90dB + I believe. Have a pair of Heresy III. Super easy to drive in SET mode on my Elekit TU8200 - 4Wpc.
Being in UAE cannot say where to buy in India 😒

I have been using an AudioNote An-J spe speaker with AudioNote 300B 8W SET. Room is small around 15x12. I rarely go beyond 11positon on volume knob. The speakers are i think 93dB efficiency. Well i have a bass spike which is a bit tamed with some room treatment

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back