Any high efficiency bookshelf speakers?

Just putting it out here since these 2 terms are generally used interchangeably which IMO is incorrect:

Just putting it out here since these 2 terms are generally used interchangeably which IMO is incorrect:

Thanks for this article @keith_correa. Lots of information in there.
I feel a bit stupid, but I am not getting it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If a 8 ohm, bookshelf speaker (90db or above) would does a decent job (in my smallish room) with the SET amp 9 wpc, with 300B tubes. This refers to the efficiency
The 90db or higher refers to the sensitivity of the speakers?

Thanks for this article @keith_correa. Lots of information in there.
I feel a bit stupid, but I am not getting it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If a 8 ohm, bookshelf speaker (90db or above) would does a decent job (in my smallish room) with the SET amp 9 wpc, with 300B tubes. This refers to the efficiency
Efficiency and sensitivity are related and can be derived from each other. although they are measured differently hence mean different things they intend the same thing ie conversion of input power to a sound with a loss factor

Sensitivity in dB = 112 + 10 log (efficiency)

Hence while a 105dB speaker has a 20% efficiency
a 95dB has only 1% !!

This is a good link to calculate the power required

Where did you get the information that 90db is the efficiency?
In all likelihood, if published by the manufacturer, yes.

For efficiency, I will agree with @Decadent_Spectre in post # 37. Although, when he says that one shouldn't believe what the "tin" says, I for one would like to know which manufacturers "tin" prints this information? If at all there are, they probably are few and far between.

Like I said, I did not understand it properly but it was a humorous article. :rolleyes:
What your requirement stipulated in your first post was correct and used the correct term. Then some posts muddied the waters by interchangeably using the terms efficiency and sensitivity. I just wanted to put out the fact that they are not the same, though related.

If a 8 ohm, bookshelf speaker (90db or above) would does a decent job (in my smallish room) with the SET amp 9 wpc, with 300B tubes.

To cut to the chase - yes. Very much so. I'd say 93-94dB/W would be a little better if you are listening to stuff with high peaks (symphonic works) but for most other music, that's ample power.

If you're looking at the budget end for a solution, I'm using Philips hiq and tl25sn crossed over via a single cap in an old sony bookshelf cabinet. It does it for me. Philips hiq seem to be hard to get. The new sweton stuff has decent reviews

Any opinions on the Klipsch RP600M? Specially from those who have listened to these for a while.
The manufacturer rates it at 8 ohms and 96db
Reviewers seem have (mostly) praise for it (hype?) while some have pointed out deficiencies at both the ends of the spectrum.

Any opinions on the Klipsch RP600M? Specially from those who have listened to these for a while.
The manufacturer rates it at 8 ohms and 96db
Reviewers seem have (mostly) praise for it (hype?) while some have pointed out deficiencies at both the ends of the spectrum.
I owned Klipsch floorstanders in the Past. considering you have been used to more refined speakers you might find the midrange to be forward and tweeter to be bright

@DB1989 owns a pair. From what I know although on paper it appears to be high sensitivity, in reality it doesn’t behave as one.
Thank you @Bloom@83

@DB1989, when you can, please share your impressions of these speakers. Specially your thoughts on pairing these with low powered amps (mine is 9 WPC)

@arj, Thank you. I did wonder about the terms used in several reviews to describe these speakers ….lively, energetic, forward sounding, dynamic. Notably missing were terms like delicate, smooth, finesse and such.

Rethm Aarka is quite underrated. besides that one thread, there's not much discussion on it.

I have demoed it... It's scale will take you back, it sounds "BIG". One has the option to use it's inbuilt amp or completely bypass them.

Rethm Aarka is quite underrated. besides that one thread, there's not much discussion on it.

I have demoed it... It's scale will take you back, it sounds "BIG". One has the option to use it's inbuilt amp or completely bypass them.
I would love to read a detailed review of these from you. I think there would be other FM who would also appreciate the insights of an experienced audio enthusiast like you.
The appearance and looks of this speaker may not be everyone’s taste. I have mixed feelings about the exoskeleton look. But audio performance will have the last word. Please take the time and effort if you wish.

Here’s what Jacob George says about the Aarka:
F47D07F6-4107-43A3-8D01-B8EB9DAB56F9.jpeg
If this doesn’t get your juices flowing , I don’t know what will. :)

PS : Having heard the Saadhnas multiple times , with the horns driven by Leben tube amp, I can fully attest to the ‘big’ sound of these beauties.
I daresay with the Aarkas you might put up the Harbeth on classifieds. :D

I would love to read a detailed review of these from you. I think there would be other FM who would also appreciate the insights of an experienced audio enthusiast like you.
The appearance and looks of this speaker may not be everyone’s taste. I have mixed feelings about the exoskeleton look. But audio performance will have the last word. Please take the time and effort if you wish.

That's high praise for someone like me.. Thnx though.

What I have realized over the course of my audio journey is, to be true to the kind of music you listen to 80% of the time... "I listen to everything under the sun" Doesn't cut it.... This is where most of us go wrong.

So it boils down to what kind of music you listen to...Rethm "excels" In pin point imaging and soundstage, no doubt on this front. If this is your thing, then look no further.

Classic rock, acoustic, jazz, 80s synth pop and likes will sound great on it. With their new bass modules, they now compensate pretty well on electronic music as well. They are NOT suitable for metal/hard rock.

If you want a all in one type speaker, then a jbl 4312se while slightly big for a bookshelf, is the kind of speaker you want. I have driven it with lyrita 2a3 set with 2 watts power, it didn't sweat. Quite amazing these jbls.

That's high praise for someone like me.. Thnx though.

What I have realized over the course of my audio journey is, to be true to the kind of music you listen to 80% of the time... "I listen to everything under the sun" Doesn't cut it.... This is where most of us go wrong.

So it boils down to what kind of music you listen to...Rethm "excels" In pin point imaging and soundstage, no doubt on this front. If this is your thing, then look no further.

Classic rock, acoustic, jazz, 80s synth pop and likes will sound great on it. With their new bass modules, they now compensate pretty well on electronic music as well. They are NOT suitable for metal/hard rock.

If you want a all in one type speaker, then a jbl 4312se while slightly big for a bookshelf, is the kind of speaker you want. I have driven it with lyrita 2a3 set with 2 watts power, it didn't sweat. Quite amazing these jbls.
Thank you. These are very useful pointers for someone like me considering these speakers

Most home audio doesnt publish this. I was referring to pro speakers. Keep in mind efficiency goes up as directivity gets narrower. Getting real high efficiency requires horns/bandpass. Unless you stick bunch of drivers together and want to call it high efficiency. Keep in mind sensitivity ratings are nominal and not wideband, especially true when you think of impedance. Most pro audio does not publish accurate data.

I believe the best way to do audio is to start with PROFESSIONAL speakers, not consumer types. They must absolutely meet ALL these criteria:

1) High in efficiency / sensitivity, 100 dB rated is the minimum.

2) It must have a large surface area for the drivers. ( This means a minimum of a single 15 inch woofer. )

3) It must be a two-way system, and no more, nor less.

4) It must have both drivers FRONT ( not rear ) HORN loaded.

5) The woofer's cone must be visually seen, to radiate directly into one's listening room.

6) The tweeter needs to be a very powerful compression driver, front horn loaded, to delineate dynamics ideally.

7) The amplifier needs to be brilliantly thought-out in it's topology, and absolutely outstanding in design and execution. Very few are !!!

Anything less, and I fully believe one wastes their time - and certainly - their money !!

Relative to this thread's topic, ( which I consider to be misguided, highly wasteful ), IMHO, there exists no such thing as a " good " high efficiency bookshelf speaker.

Why compromise ???

These are just my own personal conclusions, truthfully attempting to guide others. YMMV, fine. I speak-out here after a LONG time actively doing audio.

Jeff

Back