Any lovers of Celtic Music ?

humblebee

The celtic music lies on the extremes for me.
The few songs i like, i like very much.
But i remain unimpressed by others.

So far, i have found few, maybe i dont know about many.

These few i would like to share with others:
- May it Be - Enya (also featured in LOTR)
- Aniron - Enya (also featured in LOTR)
- Harpsong - Moya Brennan
- Temple of the Wind - Kate Price
- The Labyrinth - Kate Price

Although i got a few albums but i dont really like those songs

Do share about the good ones you know.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for the post...
I personally like Enya Songs...
Some peaceful songs are ''Anywhere Is, China Rose, On my way Home, Caribbean Blue, Wild Child, One by One'' etc.....

Some of it is very nice but I can't listen to too much of it at a stretch !
Check out Youtube. Lots of downloadable singles and full albums ! I don't know how they do it but since 2012 an enormous number of hard to get albums are on Youtube. Sound quality goes from OK to very good. You can download them as MP4 using one of several free programs. Must be inferior to the CD or vinyl version but sounds good enough to enjoy !

Have
Watermark,
A day without rain,
Amarantine,
and Paint the sky with stars - Almost forgot these CD in the rack.
Thanks.

But, after Listening any of these for couple of days, my mood and day to day tempo looses some traction, so , this goes to hibernation for few months( sorry for some years) until now.

Tracks listening now - only time.

Do listen to Celtic Woman .....They were a band of 4 women and the songs are just lovely...As pointed out, Enya, Clannad, The Chieftains, Sinead O Connor are others ...But if you, like me, prefer melodic female vocals, do check out Celtic Woman....Esp "Live at slane Castle" ... has a lot of classic celtic numbers esp my favs Carrickfergus, Scarborough Fair ..Also try to listen to Moya Brennan's -- Mn na h-ireann ..And listen to Sinead O Connors renedition of the same ....

Loreena McKennitt also has some good celtic songs. Most of her albums are good and one special track is Caravanserai which is really outstanding.

I somehow only liked "only time" from Enya and am trying to check out other songs from other composers as well. I have head the celtic woman, but have to listen more and see if it suits my tastes.

Celtic music is one of my favourite genres, but one needs to tread carefully here. Originally, it was meant to define the folk music of Ireland, and by extension, similar styles from England, Scotland and Wales. However, there are a lot of CD compilations these days that have 'Celtic' as part of their titles, but which deal with pop, easy listening tunes and New Age.

Case in point: Clannad. They started out a pure Irish folk group, singing in Gaelic and English, with authentic folk instrumentation. Along the way, they switched to synthesizers and transformed into a pure pop sound , with New Age dimensions. Led by the two Brennan sisters Eithne (pronounced Enya) and Maire (pronounced Moya), both of whom have now become pure New Age artists, Enya especially. This is music to demo high-end audio.

Loreena Mckennitt is a superb Celtic artist, composing, singing, playing harp, arranging and producing her CDs (all of which I admit to owning), but she too skirts dangerously close to New Age. Only her intelligence and musical sophistication sets her apart from the crowd.

If you wish to explore the genre, both in terms of instrumental music, and of singers in the folk and folk-rock mode (Irish mainly), you could check out:

The Chieftains
The Dubliners
De Danaan
Clannad (early albums)
Planxty
Moving Hearts
The Bothy Band
The Pogues
Christy Moore
Niamh Parsons
Susan McKeown
Dolores Keane
Solas

With instrumental music, the slow airs can be beautiful, but any CD filled with jigs and reels is best avoided. This is folk dancing music, which may sound better 'live' but can be a bit too high-pitched and unrelenting on record.

The related genre to Celtic is British folk and folk-rock, with major artists such as:

Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Pentangle
Bert Jansch
John Renbourn
Capercaillie
Battlefield Band
June Tabor
Martin Simpson
Martin Carthy
The Watersons
The Imagined Village
Kate Rusby
Oysterband
Sandy Denny
Malicorne (Breton folk)
Alan Stivell (Breton folk)

Plenty more, but these are the ones that may be easier to find.

Do listen to Celtic Woman .....They were a band of 4 women and the songs are just lovely...As pointed out, Enya, Clannad, The Chieftains, Sinead O Connor are others ...But if you, like me, prefer melodic female vocals, do check out Celtic Woman....Esp "Live at slane Castle" ... has a lot of classic celtic numbers esp my favs Carrickfergus, Scarborough Fair ..Also try to listen to Moya Brennan's -- Mn na h-ireann ..And listen to Sinead O Connors renedition of the same ....

They are one of my favourite band. Wonderful singers, wonderful violin player. Overall everything is good about it both audio and visually :)

There are also many new Irish groups. Check out Irish traditional folk group Lynched:http://lynchedfolkmiscreants.bandcamp.com/

[URL="http://lynchedmusic.com/about/"]http://lynchedmusic.com/about/

Keep Them Embers Burning Baby: An Interview With One Of Lynched. : www.rabble.ie

Celtic music radio: Album of the Week: Lynched ‘Cold Old Fire’ | Celtic Music Radio 95FM

You'll find similar music through them on Sound Cloud also: https://soundcloud.com/lynched_music/deanta-in-eireann/sets

[/URL]
Celtic music is one of my favourite genres, but one needs to tread carefully here. Originally, it was meant to define the folk music of Ireland, and by extension, similar styles from England, Scotland and Wales. However, there are a lot of CD compilations these days that have 'Celtic' as part of their titles, but which deal with pop, easy listening tunes and New Age.

Case in point: Clannad. They started out a pure Irish folk group, singing in Gaelic and English, with authentic folk instrumentation. Along the way, they switched to synthesizers and transformed into a pure pop sound , with New Age dimensions. Led by the two Brennan sisters Eithne (pronounced Enya) and Maire (pronounced Moya), both of whom have now become pure New Age artists, Enya especially. This is music to demo high-end audio.

Loreena Mckennitt is a superb Celtic artist, composing, singing, playing harp, arranging and producing her CDs (all of which I admit to owning), but she too skirts dangerously close to New Age. Only her intelligence and musical sophistication sets her apart from the crowd.

If you wish to explore the genre, both in terms of instrumental music, and of singers in the folk and folk-rock mode (Irish mainly), you could check out:

The Chieftains
The Dubliners
De Danaan
Clannad (early albums)
Planxty
Moving Hearts
The Bothy Band
The Pogues
Christy Moore
Niamh Parsons
Susan McKeown
Dolores Keane
Solas

With instrumental music, the slow airs can be beautiful, but any CD filled with jigs and reels is best avoided. This is folk dancing music, which may sound better 'live' but can be a bit too high-pitched and unrelenting on record.

The related genre to Celtic is British folk and folk-rock, with major artists such as:

Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Pentangle
Bert Jansch
John Renbourn
Capercaillie
Battlefield Band
June Tabor
Martin Simpson
Martin Carthy
The Watersons
The Imagined Village
Kate Rusby
Oysterband
Sandy Denny
Malicorne (Breton folk)
Alan Stivell (Breton folk)

Plenty more, but these are the ones that may be easier to find.

They are one of my favourite band. Wonderful singers, wonderful violin player. Overall everything is good about it both audio and visually :)

Truly said Koushik ...When I saw the concert of Live at Slane Castle, it was an amazing experience ...Saw it on TV and not live ...Celtic woman was my first intro to Irish music ...Later on, I listened to individual albums of the celtic woman members ...esp rla Fallon and Mav N Mhaolchatha..fantastic vocals ...

G401 fan, that is a superb list! I thought I was the only Celtic loony around here, good to know :)

Would also add Danu, Lunasa, Altan , Flook, Muirean Nic Amhloiabh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4RhQFfw5dw

Though not strictly 'celtic', you may want to check out Van Morrision, who is a well known Irish musician. His albums 'moondance' and 'astral weeks' are quite popular. I have both of these. Similarly, Mary Black is another Irish singer that is well known.

Last edited:
Check out 'Irish Heartbeat', Van Morrison's 1988 full foray into Celtic music in a collaboration with the Chieftains. It's superb, and a detour from his usual R&B, which, to be true, is also way beyond most of his peers.
Mary Black's early albums with The Black Family and with General Humbert , and her early solo LPs had a strong folk bent, but since she became famous in the late 80s, she's been remodelled by her producers into a pop singer, still a great voice, but singing too many bland faceless songs.

Second that. Irish Heartbeat is a fantastic album. Sinead O'Connor 's "Sean Nos Nua" also pretty good

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back