Any reviews on LG50PB6600

Just wanted to post my feedback on this TV.The comparison is going to be between entry level Full HD plasma from Lg of 2014 and Flaghship Full HD LED Tv from Sony in 2013.
The first thing we notice is humongous Size of the plasma when compared to the other TV 950a in our family.

To start with, I will start with the experience of playing the slides in both the TVS.
One word is Damn, Nothing to beat the screen uniformity in a Plasmas
The LG plasma beats the hell out of the 950a is screen uniformity in Blacks, Greys, RGB, Smooth Gradients of Black, Grey and RGB.
But to be honest, I had to pump up the cell light to get the required levels in Gradients whereas in LED I had to bring down the back light level.
Over all, excellent screen uniformity, but in grey scale gradients, I found some colour mismatch in certain bands,
The testing was by playing Dark Night, Avengers and Avatar through PC in Plamsa. The Plasma had a lot of motion judder in this no matter what setting I made. I was pissed of as hell in viewing it.
So we played the same movies through 1 TB HD and here was the surprise. There was no noticeable Motion Judder at all except for some heavy scene where even the best of the best Tvs has trouble. So played out with default setting. The colours were so vibrant and it made the viewing experience very enjoyable and had good contrast ratio.
One thing I noticed was the picture didnt get blurred when viewing fast action scene. The sharpness was very there and real.
Avatar played excellently and never the though occurred that the TV was only 53 k.
W950A
Next shifted to 950a for the testing and it just handled the motions excellent in Clear mode. The setting I have is so life like and sometimes I felt that its really wrong to compare an entry level with a flash ship even though the technology is different.
Motion blur was not as evident as other TVs in the 950a, but evident when compared to plasma, even though its an entry level one.
The 950a also had issues in playing the Avatar and created some tiles in certain scene, but LG just trounced it in those scenes. Felt something to do with deciphering or decoding the format in the Sony I guess.
6600 Lags in
Motion Handling in certain scene Although I used default settings.
Colour reproduction Not so accurate
Calibrating Not my taste, the calibrated image was dull, maybe I am not capable.
Light out put
High Reflections
6600 Excels in:
Sharp images in videos as motion blur was not there when compared to LED
Excellent sound output when played through PC, but not through HD
Excellent playability and handles formats with ease and very smooth fast forwards in player.
Fast browser experience.
Bigger screen Size
Value for money

950a:
Enough has been said everywhere.
King of picture quality.
Very easy to calibrate.
Piece of cake to start calibration when trying out from Cinema mode.
Slow browser experience

good review. Just want to clarify..in the cons you said motion handling in certain scenes is a probem with the lg6600by using default settings.....have you tried it with other settings...does this problem persist with other settings???
Also how are you breaking in ??
I am planning to buy the same model for daily regular tatasky viewing....mainly movies and tv serials...sometimes sports like cricket , football....would it serve the purpose well??

Purchased on Flipkart for 48,000
Delivered in 2 days
Installation done by LG within 4 hours of raising request for installation.

LG customer care said 5000 for 1 year warranty extension is it worth taking at that price...
So far satisfied with the pq....
Do I need to run any burnin slides....
As of now watching movies through PC without any black bars

Congrats on your purchase..... 4 Hrs is pretty fast to finish the installation :eek:hyeah:

Try to get 2 yrs extended warranty, even though a lil expensive now, will save you the headache juz incase something unfortunate happens in your warranty period...

Congrats on your purchase..... 4 Hrs is pretty fast to finish the installation :eek:hyeah:

Try to get 2 yrs extended warranty, even though a lil expensive now, will save you the headache juz incase something unfortunate happens in your warranty period...

At what price did you purchased 2 years extended warranty and how?

And also the power consumption is very high compared to my old Panasonic Plasma 42x30D

Panasonic 42inch consumption was in the range of 65 to 100 watts depending on the content being displayed

LG 50 Inch consumption with default settings is the range of 150 watts to 220 watts

When panel light is set at 15 power consumption is in the range of 110 to 150 watts

At what price did you purchased 2 years extended warranty and how?

And also the power consumption is very high compared to my old Panasonic Plasma 42x30D

Panasonic 42inch consumption was in the range of 65 to 100 watts depending on the content being displayed

LG 50 Inch consumption with default settings is the range of 150 watts to 220 watts

When panel light is set at 15 power consumption is in the range of 110 to 150 watts

How did you measure ?You checked with a power meter or power quality and energy analyzer?

In my opinion,we cannot just compare two different screen sizes. May be if you had measured consumption values of two different plasmas when displaying same contents in 0-50 and 100 % cell light, then it would be more scientific.

I used to use RGB and white and grey slides to check the power consumption.

Hi gp_freak thanks for the review.
Please share your thoughts after a month's usage.
Have you calibrated/tweaked it further to your liking?
How did the family take to the muted tones and low brightness level?
Like others, am curious to know about the re power consumption; any appreciable change in the monthly bill appearance, and does it stay on connected to a UPS (have you connected one) when there is a power outage?

Hi gp_freak thanks for the review.
Please share your thoughts after a month's usage.
Have you calibrated/tweaked it further to your liking?
How did the family take to the muted tones and low brightness level?
Like others, am curious to know about the re power consumption; any appreciable change in the monthly bill appearance, and does it stay on connected to a UPS (have you connected one) when there is a power outage?

I am not running the TV in UPS when there is power outage. This TV replaced a 4 year old 32 inch LG plasma. yes this was a little bit dull than the outgoing TV even after 4 years usage, but for serials, no one can complain. You can indeed pump up the cell brightness for you liking.

When avengers are played through Hard Disk, it indeed got very vibrant indeed, a kind of show off led like colours which I though the Tv cannot produce.

I had calibrated the TV in PC mode and played the movie and then played the same move from HD. So it changed to a default setting when playing through HD and it was liked well by all even though it was a little bit say pumped full of colours.

Stopped my efforts to calibrate the TV after that. :eek: The calibrated outcome was very dull even to my liking. Regarding power consumption, we had replaced not only TV, but also a fridge and still the power bills came out lower. Not sure whether it is due to the Fridge or TV.

Last edited:
I request users to please share how much they find is the minimum distance they are comfortable with... less than which there is blurring/jarring etc. And does this make a difference if it is SD or HD channel?
Thanks.

Got a LG 50PB6600. Running the burn-in slides.

Question on remote: have to aim quite carefully (compared with other remote operated equipment: TVs and others), otherwise the TV doesn't respond. Did you face a similar issue?

Alright friends, got the LG50PB6600 last sunday and got it fixed :clapping:

Hello Friends, I am new to the forum .

I live in Mysore and am planning to purchase LG50PB6600 PlasmaTV; kindly advise where I could buy the same; one of my friends in the above link has indicated his purchase in Sept 2014; hope the TV is fine now. I am not interested in 3D and other LED/LCD Tv's
Best

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back