Any Sotm 200 users in Delhi

Not yet Nikhil, however there are a lot of users who are using uptone regen and other types of devices between the sms200 to their DAC's, so essentially I am not doing anything different. But I will try it down the road.

As per USB protocol the last device's clock controls the signal.
I was wondering if the tx-usbhub clock was influencing the sound (as you didn't notice a difference)

If the sms200 has a better clock and clean(er) power supplies etc then you might benefit going direct.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hey Sid, sorry just saw your post now. Am sure you have sorted your issues. Hope it has not been a waste of money for you. I would have let you borrow mine.

JLS you know whose wall wart SOTM it was :)

Panditji, you will know only if you try it as to whether it is better or worse or much the same. Try get a unit - Sid seems to have found it underwhelming, but his dedicated computer is presumably doing what the SOTM does. For me it sounds good and allowed me to scratch an itch for about 20,000.
No issues Vivek, being a novice at networks I was apprehensive to say the least, but the whole process is not too difficult, though I wish either Jriver/and or sotm had a small tutorial on how to use this with each other, it would have saved me 3-4 hours searching on the net. Anyway no harm/no foul I got it running fine now.
Regarding SQ as I mentioned before, yes if one has purpose built PC with linear powered usb cards/mother board, fanless chassis and the works they are already well into the $1000 and above spend (before this I was looking at a fanless PC for around $2.5k, my existing music PC cost close to $900 or $1000 approx). For such users this may end up being a sideways move, but however as Panditji inferred, if one is using a basic laptop or desktop, this is a very good, if not an excellent device to get into computer audio.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
As per USB protocol the last device's clock controls the signal.
I was wondering if the tx-usbhub clock was influencing the sound (as you didn't notice a difference)

If the sms200 has a better clock and clean(er) power supplies etc then you might benefit going direct.

Regards.
Well the tx-usbhub costs approx $350 to the $450 for the sms200, so maybe the clock in that is better, hence their recommendation. Also they have their tx-usb ultra which at $900 is highly regarded and perhaps will sound better than the tx-usbhub (I have been told by a friend who uses this as part of music pc, that the sound is very analog like).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Hi Sid,
I am sure there is something wrong . As nikhil suggested try it without Tx-USBHUB and give it a proper burning time as well. When I got my unit, it was not much difference with the laptop i was using, after Sbooster LPS and 100 hrs burn in it was a different beast. Even in Pune, whoever taken my sms200 , has ordered sms200, 3 of them were using Esoteric CD player cum DAC. So wait for a while and read the computeraudiophile forum for increasing the SQ of sms200. USB cable also plays a role in it.

C'mon sir, computers should not have a break in period... As I said earlier, the Sotm would be a step us for people with a basic laptop as a source...Ever since Keith Correa optimised my laptop, the difference in sound quality is tremendous... So for Sid, it may not be a step up but for a lot of others like me who are clueless about optimising the PC/Laptops, Sotm would be a big upgrade....

C'mon sir, computers should not have a break in period... As I said earlier, the Sotm would be a step us for people with a basic laptop as a source...Ever since Keith Correa optimised my laptop, the difference in sound quality is tremendous... So for Sid, it may not be a step up but for a lot of others like me who are clueless about optimising the PC/Laptops, Sotm would be a big upgrade....
Panditjee..i suggest you to go through the lengthy threads on computeraudiphile website and decide yourself, whether to take a plunge or not.
People in that forum has best computer configuration but there are downside to it in monetary terms. people initially get sms 200, then they introduce clock like tx-usbultra or singxer SU-1, then linear power supplies, and this is just when you are not having NAS. In case of NAS you end up getting robbed by increasing the SQ by beating the network related glitches. after many experimentation with Sotm products people in that forum sold everything and bought Innuos Zenth SE MKII STD (http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-se-mk2-std) . So in my view people with much resolving system and with moolah should not waste time with anything and buy € 5 699 innuos Zenith. Finally its your call.

Hi Sid,
I am sure there is something wrong . As nikhil suggested try it without Tx-USBHUB and give it a proper burning time as well. When I got my unit, it was not much difference with the laptop i was using, after Sbooster LPS and 100 hrs burn in it was a different beast. Even in Pune, whoever taken my sms200 , has ordered sms200, 3 of them were using Esoteric CD player cum DAC. So wait for a while and read the computeraudiophile forum for increasing the SQ of sms200. USB cable also plays a role in it.
I mentioned before that in the Sotm website under FAQ on how it improve the SQ of the sms200 it is clearly mentioned that using the TX-usbhubex will improve the sound quality. Here is what they have said:
"And to enhance the quality on USB output, we recommend using tX-USBhubEX together with sMS-200, then you will be able to hear the upgraded and improved sound quality ".
and here is the link:
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/#toggle-id-3
Ok regarding CD player I have not compared any against the sotm sms200, so perhaps the Pune folks definitely felt this was better. I already felt my music PC was much better than many higher end Cd players (I used to have a Ayon Cd2s).
My music PC was optimized for audio in the following way:
1. 19v DC motherboard.
2. HD plex 100w LPSU powering the motherboard.
3. Shunyata venom HC power cord for the HD plex.
3. Paul Pang v1usb card powered by linear PSU.
4. Lavry usb cable.
5. Sotm usbhubex again powered by the linear PSU.
So I am not surprised that I didn't find that the sms200 was significantly better.
Anyway in a few weeks I will plan 1) either build a custom fanless PC with higher specs and components than what I have now or 2) Go with the Sotm sms200 ultra and Sclk-ocx10. Maybe I will hear a difference with these higher end components.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Sidvee, my 2 cents

Don’t have any experience with music servers. But I have heard the Aurender. It’s very nice. I honestly don’t know how it compares to others but from what I heard, I liked it. I owned the AURALiC Aries Mini for a short period. For the price it’s decent but no great shakes. My gut feel is SOTM would be playing in the same league since both these are priced similarly.

You have a nice optimised PC. Maybe you should tweak it a bit more and be done with.:)

Music Vault music servers also come highly recommended from people whose ears I trust. A few of them have been recording engineers. Here’s the link

http://www.musicvaultcat.com

All the best in your search for the perfect music server

Hi Sidvee, my 2 cents

Don’t have any experience with music servers. But I have heard the Aurender. It’s very nice. I honestly don’t know how it compares to others but from what I heard, I liked it. I owned the AURALiC Aries Mini for a short period. For the price it’s decent but no great shakes. My gut feel is SOTM would be playing in the same league since both these are priced similarly.

You have a nice optimised PC. Maybe you should tweak it a bit more and be done with.:)

Music Vault music servers also come highly recommended from people whose ears I trust. A few of them have been recording engineers. Here’s the link

http://www.musicvaultcat.com

All the best in your search for the perfect music server
Thanks Prem. However if one is a member of Computer audiophile, the opinions there on the sotm sms200 and indeed many other lower priced servers is that they are just fantastic and beat every other method of computer audio. Hence my appetite was whetted, of-course having been around the block many times, I know to consider these opinions, reviews etc with a skeptical eye, and I don't really believe these unless I test and hear on my own. Evidently having done just that I am underwhelmed to say the least. Anyways I am making an informed decision. I will also be listening to a higher end lumin server belonging to a fellow audio enthusiast soon and then will consider my further foray either into servers or a higher specd. PC.
Cheers,
Sid

It seems there are too many products to cleanse the USB audio
I agree with all that SOTM works atleast on Paper but personal experience vairiees a lot individual to individual
I think it mainly depends what we used as source - CDP, pc, os optimised pc with LPS and stuff and definitely what cables

To add to all this I have read on CA that members even try the following to improve computer audio.

USB over Ethernet
Audio over IP
And media converter ( ethernet is converted to fibre optic )
I2s output from pc to dac which has i2s input

This is used exclusively or in addition to usb regens like uptone and w4s and even sotm and microrendu like products

Then to add this some audiophiles prefer upsampling to dsd of red book resolution files
Most people's collection has about 75 percent of red book cd resolution files

So there are too many variables now in computer audio and it's impossible for one individual to try everything

Over all this there very high end servers like Prem mentioned that use trick methods and give other ways to connect to your dac other then usb (if your dac supports it )

But those servers would surely come into super high priced components

Rikhav, I think servers like Music Vault can easily be made here by someone who knows how to put it together at an affordable price. There’s no rocket science in Music Vault server. It’s just optimised very well for music playback.

Also I don’t know if Sidvee is experiencing the same thing with his SOTM as I experienced with AURALiC Mini. There’s no real weight or should I say tonal density to the music. It doesn’t sound real. With Aurender I didn’t have that problem.

Last edited:
On a separate note, I have very high regard for Keith on our forum and if somebody joins hands with Keith, I am sure they can make great servers.

I am not into computer audio. But I do follow a lot of threads. I feel nobody is really addressing the basic issue here. 90% of the stuff out there doesn’t get the tone right. By adding fancy cords and more digital gimmickry, the tone is not going to come. You add better cords, isolation, better power supplies, etc only after the basics have been got right. That’s strictly my opinion:)

Interestingly guys like Jim Smith and Srajan who are fully into computer audio use a optimised Mac for their playback. They obviously could have used any fancy server they wished to. So maybe there’s something to using a good old fashioned Mac or a Windows PC which is optimised for music playback

Panditjee..i suggest you to go through the lengthy threads on computeraudiphile website and decide yourself, whether to take a plunge or not.
People in that forum has best computer configuration but there are downside to it in monetary terms. people initially get sms 200, then they introduce clock like tx-usbultra or singxer SU-1, then linear power supplies, and this is just when you are not having NAS. In case of NAS you end up getting robbed by increasing the SQ by beating the network related glitches. after many experimentation with Sotm products people in that forum sold everything and bought Innuos Zenth SE MKII STD (http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-se-mk2-std) . So in my view people with much resolving system and with moolah should not waste time with anything and buy € 5 699 innuos Zenith. Finally its your call.

Dheeraj, I prefer simplicity in my system and am always looking for the cheapest, one box solution. The path you have mentioned above sounds just like Naim and it's various power supplies as upgrades and it makes it complex as well as very expensive..
You had introduced me to Sotm when I was using a basic laptop as a source and at that point it seemed like a very good upgrade. But after keith optimized my laptop, there was a huge difference in SQ especially the detail retrieval. The Sotm is also a mini PC optimised for audio playback and that is exactly what Keith did to my laptop...
My point is that for people with no knowledge and interest in optimising PC/Laptops, SOtm is a very good upgrade albeit much more expensive. However if you can optimize a laptop/PC, the same sound quality can be had for 1/4th the price...

Dheeraj, I prefer simplicity in my system and am always looking for the cheapest, one box solution. The path you have mentioned above sounds just like Naim and it's various power supplies as upgrades and it makes it complex as well as very expensive..
You had introduced me to Sotm when I was using a basic laptop as a source and at that point it seemed like a very good upgrade. But after keith optimized my laptop, there was a huge difference in SQ especially the detail retrieval. The Sotm is also a mini PC optimised for audio playback and that is exactly what Keith did to my laptop...
My point is that for people with no knowledge and interest in optimising PC/Laptops, SOtm is a very good upgrade albeit much more expensive. However if you can optimize a laptop/PC, the same sound quality can be had for 1/4th the price...
I was having fully dedicated , heavily optimized Windows 10 with 10 GB RAM. I still insists to listen to it first or borrow it , then make any conclusion about costs comparison with laptop or PC. IMO a stock Sotm sounds better than any other PC with half the cost of all the modification done for audio pc. By the way a laptop and a stock Sotm costs same . But audiophile itches could cost you a car down the line. So it's better to own a stock Sotm or audiophile Pc then to fall into digital jungle of upgradism

On a separate note, I have very high regard for Keith on our forum and if somebody joins hands with Keith, I am sure they can make great servers.

Yes hardware wise all should be easily available locally except for the power supply and whatever trick they use to reduce jitter from the pc itself like a separate powdered ultra accurate clock module and add on card to make pc ourp
I am not into computer audio. But I do follow a lot of threads. I feel nobody is really addressing the basic issue here. 90% of the stuff out there doesn’t get the tone right. By adding fancy cords and more digital gimmickry, the tone is not going to come. You add better cords, isolation, better power supplies, etc only after the basics have been got right. That’s strictly my opinion:)

Hi Prem
But the main issue here is I think no one knows how to get the tone right or maybe I have not read enough of the articles regarding digital Audio

What I mean is we don't have a clear answer what aspect to look into to get more natural tonality

Is it the software (operating system and music player )
Digital cable ( usb, spidif, HDMI i2s or ethernet whatever one uses to connect computer to dac )
Or the power bit

A basic laptop running modded Windows 7, 8, 10 or Server 2012 R2 is enough to get you 99% of any optimized off the shelf solution. Having the knowledge, I do the modding myself but for those that don't have the know how, Fidelizer and/or Audiophile Optimizer should get you there.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back