Anybody not upgrading? Share your stories of contentment

Contentment is something that does not enter people's minds, their first and last thoughts are "More". Greed has consumed modern society. For myself I haven't made any changes to my system in about 4-5 years, it's the same equipment except for the PC change. I don't desire other equipment, I don't bother keeping abreast of developments in the sector. I am "content" to press play and listen (or watch). Last year I had a curiousity to try something so I did, it wasn't meant as an upgrade or a replacement, just simple curiousity. Once I tried it out it gathers dust to this day. All that said I am about to buy something, not because I want to upgrade but rather because I want to "stay the same". I am replacing a broken piece of equipment with a new one, same company,same model as the repair charge is not worth it. At this point I don't want change, I want more of what I have. I care not about others views of my mental state or equipment, online forums or otherwise. Contentment? Your shades will decide.
The 'like' was for ' I care not about others views of my mental state or equipment, online forums or otherwise. ' I don't agree with the greed part.

I don't think that putting ones efforts and money into what one perceives as resulting in better sound tantamounts to greed. My only reservation is that our young members with little experience be honest with themselves and not go overboard with their spending on Audio gear and be too obsessed with audiophilia. It takes decades of experience to notice a change that a power cable can bring into a system and that too, in a very finely tuned resolving system in a good acoustic environment.

We are privileged to be at a time where we can get good audio equipment for a very reasonable price. Audio contentment can be achieved at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
The 'like' was for ' I care not about others views of my mental state or equipment, online forums or otherwise. ' I don't agree with the greed part.

I don't think that putting ones efforts and money into what one perceives as resulting in better sound tantamounts to greed. My only reservation is that our young members with little experience be honest with themselves and not go overboard with their spending on Audio gear and be too obsessed with audiophilia. It takes decades of experience to notice a change that a power cable can bring into a system and that too, in a very finely tuned resolving system in a good acoustic environment.

We are privileged to be at a time where we can get good audio equipment for a very reasonable price. Audio contentment can be achieved at a very reasonable price.

You are most welcome to any opinion. However please dont misconstrue my comment about greed to reflect a desire for better sound. The comment reflects modern societies insatiable appetite for products and services, of which audio is a part, and ultimately money, all in an effort to show off one's standing. Many (most?) people only value things by their "measurable worth", this reflects in audio as well as other areas. Feel free to disagree as you please.

You are most welcome to any opinion. However please dont misconstrue my comment about greed to reflect a desire for better sound. The comment reflects modern societies insatiable appetite for products and services, of which audio is a part, and ultimately money, all in an effort to show off one's standing. Many (most?) people only value things by their "measurable worth", this reflects in audio as well as other areas. Feel free to disagree as you please.
Apologies for my misconstrue. No disagrees to this post. Thus my statement ' Audio contentment can be achieved at a very reasonable price.' :)

Last edited:
20-35hz range is only felt physically. Since you are targetting 15hz you sould be looking for movies I assume. Because achieving audio Nirvana is usually discussed by music lovers.
Actually normal human hearing (through ears) starts from 20hz (providing there is no age related deficit or disease)
But you are also correct that lower frequencies are also “felt” through our skin and bodies and are part of the audio experience (as reproduction of these frequencies require moving larger quantities of air quickly (the so called Slam, explosions, bass beats)
I am not targeting 15hz at all; I would be happy with quality 25hz onwards even (tight, fast and controlled)
I use my sub exclusively for music listening

I am afraid that I can't add any good points to the topic mooted here. However, I think dissatisfaction or lack of contentment is not bad . Because it is the ladder to reach some sort of satisfaction in the long run( though doubtful). Let me analyse it. Years ago most of us except some blessed ones started our audiophile journey with some basic rigs, say a Philips record player( mono or stereo), a two in one or a cheap headphone. But we weren't satisfied with those. We couldn't buy better rigs for different reasons( fund, availability etc). But we have been pursuing those passionately. Most of us have ultimately found rigs of our choice. But then sometimes we feel we could have bought a better thing. Personally I always think how splendid it would have been if I could get the rigs some 20 or30 years ago. Also I think ,spending some more bucks listening experience would have been better. Thus dissatisfaction in audio domain may lead to getting more beautiful thing. Of course it is not an absolute truth. Rather many can argue and say dissatisfaction begets disaster also. Actually after having read the threads here, I think contentment is possible if one has to stay within his strict budget.
Regards
I like your analysis brother. The journey matters and the type of experiences we have on the way makes us who we are.

Contentment is something that does not enter people's minds, their first and last thoughts are "More". Greed has consumed modern society. For myself I haven't made any changes to my system in about 4-5 years, it's the same equipment except for the PC change. I don't desire other equipment, I don't bother keeping abreast of developments in the sector. I am "content" to press play and listen (or watch). Last year I had a curiousity to try something so I did, it wasn't meant as an upgrade or a replacement, just simple curiousity. Once I tried it out it gathers dust to this day. All that said I am about to buy something, not because I want to upgrade but rather because I want to "stay the same". I am replacing a broken piece of equipment with a new one, same company,same model as the repair charge is not worth it. At this point I don't want change, I want more of what I have. I care not about others views of my mental state or equipment, online forums or otherwise. Contentment? Your shades will decide.
Thanks for sharing your approach. Do you think curiosity and greed (or desire for something new) are related?

Incidentally, yours is the only post so far that speaks of “contentment” with your set up.

I am starting to think it’s not very difficult to attain contentment but the challenge is how long I stay content.

Last edited:
My Contentment
My phone with boat earphones
Or my son's bluetooth boat speakers with all the trendist teen tracks !

My khujli
Atc, rethum,gustard,accuphase

P.S I hear my phone everyday
Not my audio setup

Any sense organs ( in this case ears) can never be gratified because of its inherent nature. The moment you felt that you have achieved it you shall the very next moment be longing for even more better. Hence all philosophers have warned us of this dangerous desire and have advised us to be satisfied with what you have and don't get trapped and get lost because it's impossible to be satisfied with any desire for long. Also if the desire is strong in your mind, it's better to fulfill the desire and get rid of the desire than craving for it, because having the desire to possess is even more harmful than the material possessions.

Thanks for sharing your approach. Do you think curiosity and greed (or desire for something new) are related?

Incidentally, yours is the only post so far that speaks of “contentment” with your set up.

I am starting to think it’s not very difficult to attain contentment but the challenge is how long I stay content.

I don't think curiousity is greed. To be curious is perhaps to want to know about what is new and unknown to you, greed is to want more and more, regardless of what you have and whether it is enough for your needs. Personally I don't see curiousity in modern society beyond knowing about whats "trending" and the related "FOMO". It stems less from curiousity for most people and more from a desire to not be left out and remain "cool" (or whatever word is popular right now) among their social circle. Greed is also not a desire for something new, rather often people want something new because it is perceived to be "superior" to what they have, few buy something (products) with the express purpose of only experiencing something new. In most cases that something is more expensive than their current equipment, this is necessary for them to feel as though they have ascended to a greater level in the respective field and for them to showcase this purchase among their friend group and peers. By the by curiousity itself is a survival mechanism designed to teach humans about their natural habitat. If we were not curious then science would never have progressed to the level it has. Perhaps most people have a different view of contentment or maybe do not feel that their setup has made them content so they do not post of it. Contentment is obviously a state of mind, in the modern age of greed this mindset has no value to people, in fact I would argue most people are not even aware of it. Someone new to audio would likely look at expensive speakers and wish for those as they would simply perceive it to be superior, not stopping to consider their personal sonic preferences which they likely are not even aware of. As a result their goals for audio (as an example) is to eventually purchase X expensive speaker, the thought about a system that makes them content does not occur to them. This also often applies to life for these same people.

I don't think curiousity is greed. To be curious is perhaps to want to know about what is new and unknown to you, greed is to want more and more, regardless of what you have and whether it is enough for your needs. Personally I don't see curiousity in modern society beyond knowing about whats "trending" and the related "FOMO". It stems less from curiousity for most people and more from a desire to not be left out and remain "cool" (or whatever word is popular right now) among their social circle. Greed is also not a desire for something new, rather often people want something new because it is perceived to be "superior" to what they have, few buy something (products) with the express purpose of only experiencing something new. In most cases that something is more expensive than their current equipment, this is necessary for them to feel as though they have ascended to a greater level in the respective field and for them to showcase this purchase among their friend group and peers. By the by curiousity itself is a survival mechanism designed to teach humans about their natural habitat. If we were not curious then science would never have progressed to the level it has. Perhaps most people have a different view of contentment or maybe do not feel that their setup has made them content so they do not post of it. Contentment is obviously a state of mind, in the modern age of greed this mindset has no value to people, in fact I would argue most people are not even aware of it. Someone new to audio would likely look at expensive speakers and wish for those as they would simply perceive it to be superior, not stopping to consider their personal sonic preferences which they likely are not even aware of. As a result their goals for audio (as an example) is to eventually purchase X expensive speaker, the thought about a system that makes them content does not occur to them. This also often applies to life for these same people.
Thank you.
So, curiousity leads us to find out more about the issue or product.
Acting on this knowledge to acquire the product may be greed in some circumstances.
The motive could be due to peer pressure or a desire for peer approval?

Thank you.
So, curiousity leads us to find out more about the issue or product.
Acting on this knowledge to acquire the product may be greed in some circumstances.
The motive could be due to peer pressure or a desire for peer approval?

I think we are delving deeper and deeper into psychology to answer these questions. The state of social psychology has become increasingly complex as people feel more inadequate than ever before due to exposure and peer approval/pressure/standing. But yes peer pressure and peer approval has become a primary driving force for people's actions and this is not limited to youth. The note I mentioned earlier about not wanting to be left out also has a large influence. The crux of the matter in most cases is ego, people are more insecure due to these reasons and all this fuels a consumerist society. Have a read if you please -

I have not read the full page, only a brief look but I think it describes the modern era well.

these days self approval comes from peer approval.. sadly

By the time one realizes the relative insignificance of peer approval ( in this hobby ) - its much later - the years have rolled on.
Yes,
But, after years have rolled on...
Sometimes Listening to music and discussing gear and audio with good friends who share the interest is fun too?

The terminal point of my audio acquisition seems to be my Marshall Kilburn. Would have gone the headphone route but I have kids at home to whom I want to instinctively reach out to whenever I have something good to listen to.

The terminal point of my audio acquisition seems to be my Marshall Kilburn. Would have gone the headphone route but I have kids at home to whom I want to instinctively reach out to whenever I have something good to listen to.
Did you mean to say you got rid of your nice gear listed (1,2,3...) and only have and are listening to this portable Bluetooth speaker?

I have found that my 700Rs Philips HiQ sound above and beyond any of the branded speakers I have.
That didnt stop me from buying a B&W DM640 when i found a good deal on it (have always wanted a pair)
But the HiQ remains my primary go to for listening. A tube Pre + NAD 3020 + the philips HiQ beats anything!
Only improvement is maybe a sub.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back