Anybody not upgrading? Share your stories of contentment

Did you mean to say you got rid of your nice gear listed (1,2,3...) and only have and are listening to this portable Bluetooth speaker?
No I have them. I have a dedicated music listening room at the top of the house. But i find myself going there less and less. The other amps speakers etc too are very much here but less listened to.

I don’t own a sub for 2 channel listening. In most high end shows that I’ve seen videos of , and few I’ve visited myself in Bristol , I’ve never seen stereo gear paired with a sub. I’m not sure about it’s efficacy.

No I have them. I have a dedicated music listening room at the top of the house. But i find myself going there less and less. The other amps speakers etc too are very much here but less listened to.
I am sorry to hear this. Hope you recover your mojo soon

I don’t own a sub for 2 channel listening. In most high end shows that I’ve seen videos of , and few I’ve visited myself in Bristol , I’ve never seen stereo gear paired with a sub. I’m not sure about it’s efficacy.
Interesting observation (HiFi shows not including subs with stereo set ups)....wonder why...
Maybe the Subs steal the thunder?:)))

Avatar 1: BW Speakers, Schiit DAC, Marantz amp, Outlaw power amps (lasted about 9 years)
Avatar 2: KEF speakers, Parasound DAC, Lyrita Pre, AKSA power, REL T9/i (about 5 years and going strong)
In each of the above setups, the additions came in over a period of time, usually 2-5 years.
I don't see a major reason to upgrade. Maybe some component change like DAC in the near future.
The speakers I currently have are to my liking and performance expectation.
All allied electronics have been augmented around them.
Happy for the next few 5 years at least.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have been using a system built around an Acoustic Portrait's active system. Initially it was a Linn LP12 to AP system. Then I changed my source and added some subs and now it has been the same since then.

Sources: Musical Fidelity M1Clic Streamer / NAD CD player (don't even recall the model, you can imagine my contentment that I lost track of the model)
Music: CDs and Flac files (from a Netgear NAS). I still don't stream music!
Amps: Acoustic Portrait Preamp and Swara Amps pumping into bookshelf speakers mounted on Sound Foundation stands
Speakers: Vifa drivers based active bookshelves made by Acoustic Portrait, and two REL subs with similar sound as AP setup that they tend to disappear in the background of music.
Apart from these, I have a DBX driverack that I use with a linear mic to plot my room acoustics and place my speakers. It also has a parametric equalizer and room correction system but I have never used that.

Some years back, I had put the system up for sale and was almost bought by a friend of mine (outside the forum). I started missing the sound and got the system back from him after 2 days. He didn't even have time to unpack the stuff. I have not upgraded since then. Now I have recently moved to a smaller apartment. If my family objects to the whole system then I may be forced to part with it but till that time, it is staying with me.

I have been using a system built around an Acoustic Portrait's active system. Initially it was a Linn LP12 to AP system. Then I changed my source and added some subs and now it has been the same since then.

Sources: Musical Fidelity M1Clic Streamer / NAD CD player (don't even recall the model, you can imagine my contentment that I lost track of the model)
Amps: Acoustic Portrait Preamp and Swara Amps pumping into bookshelf speakers mounted on Sound Foundation stands
Speakers: Vifa drivers based active bookshelves made by Acoustic Portrait, and two REL subs with similar sound as AP setup that they tend to disappear in the background of music.
Apart from these, I have a DBX driverack that I use with a linear mic to plot my room acoustics and place my speakers. It also has a parametric equalizer and room correction system but I have never used that.

Some years back, I had put the system up for sale and was almost bought by a friend of mine (outside the forum). I started missing the sound and got the system back from him after 2 days. He didn't even have time to unpack the stuff. I have not upgraded since then. Now I have recently moved to a smaller apartment. If my family objects to the whole system then I may be forced to part with it but till that time, it is staying with me.
nice ! do share pics when possible.,.

which REL subs do you use ?

nice ! do share pics when possible.,.

which REL subs do you use ?

Sure. Will share the pics as soon as I unpack my setup in the new place. As far as I recall, these are new version T7 subs. Once again, I have been so contended with the setup that totally forgot the model number.

If you have Actives, why do you need Swara Amp?

Last edited by a moderator:

Long time no hear, doc:)

Is contentment possible?

Just like with anything else in life, yes. I still have the same (my first set) of speakers that I purchased more than 3 years ago. My processor was purchased more than 2 years ago. No real desire to upgrade on what I have on the audio side, other than additions to help with LF and Atmos:).

I'm pretty happy with how things are now, but I know things can get better as the room treatment is completed. Will I be content then? Time will tell!

Are there ways to achieve audio Nirvana without breaking the bank (or the marriage)?

Strive to "do it once and do it right". Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Focus your energies on getting the most out of the equipment you already have instead of constantly looking for that "magical" upgrade. All IMO, of course.

With the same speakers (Castle Knight 2) and integrated amp (Audiolab 8200A) for three years now, and feeling no urgency to upgrade yet. The streamer (CXN v2j is about a year and half old, once again being used satisfactorily and both the transport (CXC) and the tube pre (Lyrita DHT) are over two years old now. My positive reviews and recommendations have helped some FMs in their decision to buy some of these products.

My desktop system (consisting of Schiit Bifrost, Valhalla 2 and Beyerdynamic T1) is older - four years now. The Macbook Pro which streams to it is 6 years old. Quite contented.

The only two products I changed were a couple of CD players which stopped working. But yes, I went through a number of accessorial options before I settled on the current set of cables, ICs and power cords (stock, surprisingly).

P.S. I faintly recollect another similar thread where many FMs wrote about the components/system with largest life on their shelves, some even over a decade or more. You might want to search it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Posting a Pic of my Set-Up in the new place. Everything is still not opened and connected. The Marantz player is placed on top of the NAD just to add weight and stability. Family was not happy when I started opening the boxes today to set these things up. My CDs are still wrapped in cellophane and lying in cartons. However, I opened into one of the cartons and hunted out 'The Bridge' by 'Sonny Rollins'. Pure bliss. (I could not even hear wifey rambling on - to my friends here, don't show this post to her)

I forgot to mention the cables. Interconnects are by Chord Company, Some of the power cables by Supra and others by AP. Connections between preamps and amps by AP and also speaker cables by AP.

AP.jpg

Posting a Pic of my Set-Up in the new place. Everything is still not opened and connected. The Marantz player is placed on top of the NAD just to add weight and stability. Family was not happy when I started opening the boxes today to set these things up. My CDs are still wrapped in cellophane and lying in cartons. However, I opened into one of the cartons and hunted out 'The Bridge' by 'Sonny Rollins'. Pure bliss. (I could not even hear wifey rambling on - to my friends here, don't show this post to her)

I forgot to mention the cables. Interconnects are by Chord Company, Some of the power cables by Supra and others by AP. Connections between preamps and amps by AP and also speaker cables by AP.

View attachment 53567

Lovely !!

View attachment 53567
Lovely setup, would you mind sharing about the stand info?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back