Anybody not upgrading? Share your stories of contentment

One another story. I've recently acquired an iPod nano 1st gen. For me, this brings back old memories of walking in the open spaces and soaking in the landscape with ambient music. This is nostalgia and above all "back to simplicity". It is a story of "downgrade" rather than an upgrade. No notifications or other diversions but focus on music and the experience.

I started this Audio Hi-fi in my car by 2014, with Focal K2 drivers in active and kept on learning and upgrading till I belived that I have attained a kind of wisdom. (Lol)

One day I find my self listening audio more often in parking lot than on the road.

Then after few research on Hifivision and YouTube, I endup with what I have in my signature.

IMG-20210605-WA0006.jpg

Will I further upgrade... ? The answer is no, I think I am done with what I have. Worst case may try other good speaker cable to complete the setup.

Last edited:
Today, I woke up thinking of the lowest 15 Hz (20-35 Hz) in the normal human audible range and how difficult it is to achieve quality low end. I then considered my old venerable REL subwoofer....One thought led to another... I then realised I have a problem.
Is contentment possible? Are there ways to achieve audio Nirvana without breaking the bank (or the marriage)?
I recalled a similar thread on the Naim community forum and thought of seeking experiences (or solace) from the HFV forum.
This may be the shortest thread in the history of this forum :(
Let the therapy begin.

Its easy. If you listen to music more than you analyse your gear, you will be contented.

If you believe what you have is the best you could have, under the circumstances you have them, you will be contented.

If you generally by nature don't compare your car with neighbour's or relative's, your kid with any one else's. If you aren't the type to kill yourself endlessly comparing yourself and what you have with others, you will be contented

If you have other fulfilling and meaningful things to do in life and you are not using hifi to fill an unfillable void, you will be contented

Its easy. If you listen to music more than you analyse your gear, you will be contented.

If you believe what you have is the best you could have, under the circumstances you have them, you will be contented.

If you generally by nature don't compare your car with neighbour's or relative's, your kid with any one else's. If you aren't the type to kill yourself endlessly comparing yourself and what you have with others, you will be contented

If you have other fulfilling and meaningful things to do in life and you are not using hifi to fill an unfillable void, you will be contented
@Amitdubey your observation is a good general approach to life.
While it sounds impressive at first, I fell it may not stand up to inquiry in the context of this specific topic
Eg: Following this philosophy/approach I should be happy and content with a non smartphones’ built in speakers and never aspire to better sound at all.
And if everyone followed this approach there would be just one model of a music box for all.
No one would innovate as there is no interest, motivation or demand for better products with better sound. A horrifying situation.
To be fair, I am no fan or advocate of the mindless consumerism that we wallow in and which seems to be leading us towards the next extinction cycle.
We definitely need more urgent action on how we as a species use and consume, but that’s a much larger topic for a much larger forum.
On an individual level we can maybe agree that we definitely should not become addicted to GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) moderation, deliberate “green” choices (less power more sensitivity?)and mindfulness in our pursuit of our hobby/passion/obsession.
Thank you for flagging this interesting aspect in this discussion.

@Amitdubey your observation is a good general approach to life.
While it sounds impressive at first, I fell it may not stand up to inquiry in the context of this specific topic
Eg: Following this philosophy/approach I should be happy and content with a non smartphones’ built in speakers and never aspire to better sound at all.
And if everyone followed this approach there would be just one model of a music box for all.
No one would innovate as there is no interest, motivation or demand for better products with better sound. A horrifying situation.
To be fair, I am no fan or advocate of the mindless consumerism that we wallow in and which seems to be leading us towards the next extinction cycle.
We definitely need more urgent action on how we as a species use and consume, but that’s a much larger topic for a much larger forum.
On an individual level we can maybe agree that we definitely should not become addicted to GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) moderation, deliberate “green” choices (less power more sensitivity?)and mindfulness in our pursuit of our hobby/passion/obsession.
Thank you for flagging this interesting aspect in this discussion.
The contrasting personalities of who is contented and who easily is not in the audiophilia stratosphere here is not just about whether someone upgrades their gear or not. But you often find people getting obsessed with the acquisition part and process so much that they forget to just enjoy music through the gear they already have. And in such cases, there is no guarantee that the upgrades of expensive gear will keep you contented for long.

If you are primarily a music person, gear matters but less. You are too engrossed with your music to keep worrying about what could make it sound better. Ofcourse this rational human being will very well be aware that there is better gear out there which will elevate the quality of sound but he ain't obsessing over it and that's the difference between the two personalities we are discussing here

All responses in this thread are excellent and true. In my opinion the following points will reduce the urge for frequent change or upgradation of equipment.

1. Focus more on the content(Soul) than the equipment(Body)
2. Use Professional speakers like Beyma for HT
3. Use Concentric cone speakers like Tannoy DMT series

All responses in this thread are excellent and true. In my opinion the following points will reduce the urge for frequent change or upgradation of equipment.

1. Focus more on the content(Soul) than the equipment(Body)
2. Use Professional speakers like Beyma for HT
3. Use Concentric cone speakers like Tannoy DMT series
@jbkar, that is one excellent (focus on the soul) suggestion and two very specific suggestions (that call for an upgrade)
The first one is something we all need regular reminders.
Points 2 and 3 are definitely related to the title of this thread- I guess you mean get the best speakers possible and to be content thereafter?

Some hacks to control oneself from veering away to the slippery path of upgradtitis

Positive View Technique

"Itna paise mein itna-itch milega" is one good control mantra.. Ofcourse that works when ur poor (read spend reasonably on audio gear/have defined financial limits)

The other is to keep reminding oneself of Law of Diminishing Returns.. That too can bring bit of perspective when that next purchase urge takes over

Also remember where you started and what that brought you..

Negative technique -

If nothing works, just ask for an honest opinion about your wanting to upgrade from the wife..research the financial cost of a divorce as a follow up.. That ought to fix any urges or itches!! :D

Contentment is on the mind, not in the equipment. Listen to enjoy the music, not the equipment. The journey is more important than the destination!!

I am sorry to hear this. Hope you recover your mojo soon
mojo. the first time I heard this word was in the Doors song LA Woman, which has the enigmatic refrain- mr mojo risin. back in the day we speculated what this could mean. some eggheads on the internet today say it’s an anagram of Jim Morrison.
Happy to report i have got it back.
i am listening to the turntable more than ever. bought some Ornette Coleman records from a gentleman in this forum and have requested another esteemed member for a new phono build. put some heavy curtains on the big glass windows in the listening room. there is a huge sonic difference. have plans to upgrade on the cart too.

This is my current strategy. Aim for the mid-fi products. I personally, haven't owned a lot of audio gear, and maybe that's because I spend a lot of time zeroing in on stuff than buying and trying. For example, after reading lots and lots of threads and then after finally auditioning, I decided that my first good pair of IEMs would be the Head-Direct RE1, back in 2009-10. Before that I had only had the infamous Creative EP630s and then the Soundmagic PL50. With the RE1, I found that I liked it's sound signature the best as I could use them for hours. And then started my quest to find a good HP with similar sound signature. And this time my aim was to buy something expensive but not too expensive. As everyone knows, in audio, the incremental improvements beyond a certain stage are miniscule. So I landed at Senn HD650. It has been 7-8 years now and I am pretty content and will probably not buy another pair of HPs because I don't feel the need at all. I, will however, buy a good desktop amp for it in the near future and till then I am content with the E1DA 9038s I have right now.
Oh, and the most important point if you want to keep your money in your pockets. Don't go around auditioning stuff. It's very very difficult to go back once you have heard something better. I was very content with my Soundmagic PL50 until I heard the RE1 and after that, the started sounding like a piece of crap.;)

I do believe we are in the Hobby due to many different reasons ..also depends in what kind of person one is.

Some are in it to find Good music- I believe folks who are happiest with the first few upgrades and are done and usually a car system /head phones and/or a good entry level system itself. many musicians will also fall into this group..they can enjoy music without the need for extra resolution etc.

Then there are others who are in it for the Exclusivity. Get the best brands together and get it to sound good and then leave it till the next big thing and gain their happiness from having the best like a Cigar/Single malt/Lamborghini in bangalore etc :)

There there are still those who are in it for the hobby.. While there is of course the love for music which is the foundation and without which the hobby does not exist, improving every small thing to coax better music out of ones system becomes a passion whose force can vary from obsessive to casual.

I would guess all of us fall into some combination of all the above 3 in varying forms - the consultant in me would picturize it into a triangle with the apexes being these above and each of us lying somewhere in the triangle :p

While some are very clear on what they are striving for most of us are still figuring out, learning from others as we go about. problem is when we get bored of the system..not with the sound but the sameness of it that we start looking for the proverbial "Final Upgrade" !. But overall, if you frequent the sound forums one is an audiophile and while there is an end somewhere , its the Journey which is really the fun part..ticket cost depending on budget ;)

5.30am is too early in the morning to seek audio nirvana. Try later in the evening, after everyone else at home is asleep, accompanied by a glass of single malt and you might be able to attain it...fleetingly!
that might also depend on the single malt yr having :). way to go.....

I'm not upgrading. Thanks to @arj and others, I have managed to get optimum placement of my speakers. Also after acquiring a graphic equalizer with had a good gain, my Yamaha AVR starting giving a performance that I never could have imagined. Post that I modifed my preamp to get the same gain as my graphic equalizer and my AVR in 7.1 mode is performing better than my other equipment. Total bliss and I just don't want to change anything.

Every time I plan to pull the trigger, end up receiving a mail from the little one's school that your fee due date is knocking at the door. :(
Not much different for me.. It is not school fees but university fees 😭.But then it is investment for the little one's future.

Not an upgrade but an addition recently - a pair of Amp Camp Amps - after all a spent approved for the 25 years with my better half 😄

Not much different for me.. It is not school fees but university fees 😭.But then it is investment for the little one's future.

Not an upgrade but an addition recently - a pair of Amp Camp Amps - after all a spent approved for the 25 years with my better half 😄
School Fees are a pure rip-off these days. I finally ordered Shield Pro (thanks to the gift card from Office) and the covers for my Bookshelf speakers.

Back