Anybody using Emotiva xpa-3 gen 3 power amplifier!

I am having XPA-2 to drive my Floorstands. These amps are very good for the money. In fact, these amps can drive my floorstands loud enough to burn drivers coil.
I have purchased Emotiva Gen3 3 channel Power Amp and hooked up to my setup. What a difference!. Its like day night diff. Now my speakers are really throwing out sound . Mid Punch and highs came alive and it sounds great !.
How ever my surround speakers felt under powered now :) as i hooked up directly to AVR. Need to fine tune the settings and explore more.
So far its nice product !.

By the way how to identify the safe volume level ?. I went up to 70 in my denon 3600h it worked fine . !

Last edited:
I have purchased Emotiva Gen3 3 channel Power Amp and hooked up to my setup. What a difference!. Its like day night diff. Now my speakers are really throwing out sound . Mid Punch and highs came alive and it sounds great !.
How ever my surround speakers felt under powered now :) as i hooked up directly to AVR. Need to fine tune the settings and explore more.
Congratulations on the purchase :)

By the way how to identify the safe volume level ?. I went up to 70 in my denon 3600h it worked fine . !
70 is too much IMO.. but if your ears won't hurt while listening, or if you don't have any ringing post listening, you're good.. dynamic bursts for a few seconds is fine, any longer and you will damage your ears

Congratulations on the purchase :)

70 is too much IMO.. but if your ears won't hurt while listening, or if you don't have any ringing post listening, you're good.. dynamic bursts for a few seconds is fine, any longer and you will damage your ears
Thanks .
I just tried till 70 db .
Since my speakers are only 150 watts , and Emotiva is double the power .
There's safe volume level i may need to keep in mind. I am thinking to set my max volume to 70 with denon AVR.

So, I have locked my receiver's max volume at 0DB so that my son while watching youtube(as the adds inbetween are much louder) doesn't go beyond that volume while I am not home, which may endup burning my valuable speakers.
is there any option in denon AVR 3600H to set max volume ?.

Congratulations on the purchase... :)

I have come across a custom built 4Ch Power Amp for one of the known guys in Bangalore by IndiqAudio.. I think they can even build a 3, 4 or 5 based on our requirement. I am planning on getting a Dual Mono for Stereo but someone who may be interested in more than 2 ch amplification, here is the specs from the 4Ch thats custom made.

150x4=600W @ 8 ohms
Power supply 1250VA
Capacitor bank 120,000uf
Output device 24 nos
Soft power on with dual relay and NTC
Fault indicator in PCB
Isolated ground
Auto Gain Control

I specifically liked the Auto Gain feature, which will protect the Drivers from being over driven if there is a sudden spike in the volume. I am not sure of the cost as i did not check with them as i dint have a requirement for it. Posting it here if this can help someone.
Cost is 1.09L for 4 channel amp

I was trying out some contents yesterday,Still need to fine tune my system . So far sounds great , Such a mids and highs in sound i never felt before.
Really worth addition ,

Now i felt My Sub is weak , may need to upgrade matching the power of these speakers.

Few contents recorded with my mobile. It may not justify the actual sound reproduced , but give some fair idea.
Listen with good headphones on high volume.

Last edited:
My Emotiva Setup

View attachment 49609

View attachment 49610

I also need to add the trigger input cable from my AVR to Emotiva to control power from AVR. Please suggest any.
Congratulations .It's really a good investment.The amp looks beautiful.
Regarding power rating ,you don't want to worry.Cleaner power doesn't hurts the speakers .Also you might have done the Audyssey which might have gain matched your speakers.
Regarding 70db ,r u referring to absolute scale of gain.( Given by factory default scale 0 to 98 ).
In future if budget permits u can plan to add modules ,so that your PA becomes 5 channel ( Emotiva XPA has this option )which drives the base channel.

Congratulations .It's really a good investment.The amp looks beautiful.
Regarding power rating ,you don't want to worry.Cleaner power doesn't hurts the speakers .Also you might have done the Audyssey which might have gain matched your speakers.
Regarding 70db ,r u referring to absolute scale of gain.( Given by factory default scale 0 to 98 ).
In future if budget permits u can plan to add modules ,so that your PA becomes 5 channel ( Emotiva XPA has this option )which drives the base channel.
Thanks @RajithKumar,
I did audyssy setup with Power Amp hooked, how ever did not like the audyssy calibration. It did not sound nice, it sounded little muddy. I did tuning manually then it sounded nice. Though it measures the speaker distance correctly , the volume level for front speakers , Sub it always set to low . And calibration for my surrounds were perfect.

Thanks @RajithKumar,
I did audyssy setup with Power Amp hooked, how ever did not like the audyssy calibration. It did not sound nice, it sounded little muddy. I did tuning manually then it sounded nice. Though it measures the speaker distance correctly , the volume level for front speakers , Sub it always set to low . And calibration for my surrounds were perfect.
Maybe your AVR is feeling bad that you added an outboard amp.
It is sulking and making the poweramp sound muted :D

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks @RajithKumar,
Audyssey caliboration is mainly to level match and measure the distance of the speakers. If you don't like the Audyssey then you can disable it by selecting "bypass L/R speakers", which sounds better for me for both music and movies. But Audysse caliborates the sub well (especially xt-32). If you find the sub to be weak now then you can increase the sub gain inside the sub level setting by around 3-6db. I have my subs set at 6db hot and thats how I like it.

Last edited:
Thanks @RajithKumar,
Well.. Audyssey is hit or miss most of the time.
I think the reason it sets the Fronts low coz the speaker may be more efficient compartively to reach the 75db at Listening position.
May be you can set Audyssey off after calibration.This may allow the level matching of speakers atleast.Or else try manual calibration if u have external mic.
Subs can be set hot after calibration depending on your preference.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back