Anybody using Emotiva xpa-3 gen 3 power amplifier!

edjamesx

Anybody using Emotiva xpa-3 power amplifier ?. Their specs looks great. I am planning to add power amp to my setup (LCR) speakers to increase the dynamic range.
At Price point its higher , how ever comparing its power ratio it looks good deal comparing with parasound or other amplifiers.

I think I can help you out. I had a dealer bring home an XPA 3 for audition in my setup. My PSBs are notoriously hard to drive. Power wise, it could handle it with absolute ease!

What speakers are you planning to pair them with?They have a class D signature sound which might not do very well with forward sounding speakers or devices up the chain.

Cheers,
Anirudh.

I think I can help you out. I had a dealer bring home an XPA 3 for audition in my setup. My PSBs are notoriously hard to drive. Power wise, it could handle it with absolute ease!

What speakers are you planning to pair them with?They have a class D signature sound which might not do very well with forward sounding speakers or devices up the chain.

Cheers,
Anirudh.
Currently using the Sonodyne sonus 3165 speakers . They sounds good with my AVR , how ever i am looking at more mid and highs punch.
Currently Emotiva is more powered 275 watts comparing to my speaker watts rated (150 watss RMS) I am looking at future proof of power amps , when i upgrade my speakers . I found emotiva a good choice.

How is the sound quality before and after connecting emotiva ?. Does it improve mid and highs ?.
As per reviews i am seeing about emotiva , they seems to give good dynamic range on highs and mids.

Are you aiming for THX ref level handling on LCR? If so, Emotiva's power on tap is a good thing to have.
Also check if the speakers themselves are good for handling swing in DR.
Cheers,
Raghu

Are you aiming for THX ref level handling on LCR? If so, Emotiva's power on tap is a good thing to have.
Also check if the speakers themselves are good for handling swing in DR.
Cheers,
Raghu
My speakers are not THX certified though i am looking at more dynamic range goood high and mid punch.

I am having XPA-2 to drive my Floorstands. These amps are very good for the money. In fact, these amps can drive my floorstands loud enough to burn drivers coil.

You mentioned about coil burn. Did it actually happen?
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes,
When playing full range sound without subwoofer at loud volumes it does happen. I have even ended up frying 2 of my old onkyo speakers in this way.
My emotiva has 300W at 8 ohms and 500w at 4 ohms, so it is capable of burning any speaker incapable of handling such watts contineously.

So, I have locked my receiver's max volume at 0DB so that my son while watching youtube(as the adds inbetween are much louder) doesn't go beyond that volume while I am not home, which may endup burning my valuable speakers.

I am having XPA-2 to drive my Floorstands. These amps are very good for the money. In fact, these amps can drive my floorstands loud enough to burn drivers coil.
That looks bad. So there's safe volume level i need to keep in mind. I learnt from forums , under powering is more issue than overpowering the speakers.
How is the overall performance of speakers after Emotiva power Amp added. Does it add up value , and does it improve higs and mid punch. ?.

How is the overall performance of speakers after Emotiva power Amp added. Does it add up value , and does it improve higs and mid punch. ?.
Definitely. The vocals are clear, the dynamics are wider and the speaker is more punchy and play much louder without worrying about amp clipping, which can harm the speakers. Another good thing about the Power Amps is, they never get outdated like a Preamp or AVR and they tend to last for decades, if purchased from reputed brands (Emotiva included).

Thanks for brining this topic. I recently upgraded my fronts to KEF R5, I am also planning to add XPA 3 to power them. Any suggestions are most welcome.

I have come across a custom built 4Ch Power Amp for one of the known guys in Bangalore by IndiqAudio.. I think they can even build a 3, 4 or 5 based on our requirement. I am planning on getting a Dual Mono for Stereo but someone who may be interested in more than 2 ch amplification, here is the specs from the 4Ch thats custom made.

150x4=600W @ 8 ohms
Power supply 1250VA
Capacitor bank 120,000uf
Output device 24 nos
Soft power on with dual relay and NTC
Fault indicator in PCB
Isolated ground
Auto Gain Control

I specifically liked the Auto Gain feature, which will protect the Drivers from being over driven if there is a sudden spike in the volume. I am not sure of the cost as i did not check with them as i dint have a requirement for it. Posting it here if this can help someone.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back