Emotiva XPA-3 vs Anthem MCA 225( similarly priced in India but $ 900 difference in USA)

Deblin

Hello everybody,
Looking for your suggestions.
I am looking to add a power amplifier to my current setup in pune.
Audiovector QR 3, QR C and QR1 as my front, center and rear channel to go along with Rythmik Fvx12(5.1 set up)
My left and right are 200 watt speakers and remaining are 150 watt. All speakers are 4 ohm nominal.
For reference the QR3( left and right towers) are approx $2000
I am currently using Marantz SR6013 to power them.
I was thinking to add power amplifier. Based on other threads in this forum it’s a mixed bag. Some people mentioned PA makes a significant difference while some other feels it is not so important.
However while enquiring within a budget of 1.5-2 lakh I mostly came across Emotiva xpa 3 (approx 1.9 lakh) and Anthem MCA 225( approx 2 lakh). Prices mentioned are after discount. However in dollar term there is a difference of $900. With current price hike, price of imported electronics in India have shot up significantly.
Also over the internet there are lot of reviews about Emotiva and very negligible about Anthem ( Especially MCA series)
With above mentioned points I have following questions
1: will a power amplifier really improve the performance of my current setup
2: if yes, what would you suggest among the two or anything else within my budget range. Is Anthem a better amp than Emotiva to demand such a high premium.
3: If somebody has recently purchased Emotiva amplifier at a better rate could you please share the relevant contact details of the supplier.

I know Anthem is 2 channel and Emotiva is 3 channel. I would eventually add all my 5 speakers to PA if it makes a difference ( that’s the plan at least).
Thank you very much for your time.

Hello everybody,
Audiovector QR 3, QR C and QR1 as my front, center and rear channel to go along with Rythmik Fvx12(5.1 set up)
My left and right are 200 watt speakers and remaining are 150 watt. All speakers are 4 ohm nominal.
I was thinking to add power amplifier. Based on other threads in this forum it’s a mixed bag. Some people mentioned PA makes a significant difference while some other feels it is not so important.
However while enquiring within a budget of 1.5-2 lakh I mostly came across Emotiva xpa 3 (approx 1.9 lakh) and Anthem MCA 225( approx 2 lakh). Prices mentioned are after discount. However in dollar term there is a difference of $900. With current price hike, price of imported electronics in India have shot up significantly.
Also over the internet there are lot of reviews about Emotiva and very negligible about Anthem ( Especially MCA series)
2: if yes, what would you suggest among the two or anything else within my budget range. Is Anthem a better amp than Emotiva to demand such a high premium.
3: If somebody has recently purchased Emotiva amplifier at a better rate could you please share the relevant contact details of the supplier.

I know Anthem is 2 channel and Emotiva is 3 channel. I would eventually add all my 5 speakers to PA if it makes a difference ( that’s the plan at least).

I think the SR6013 has enough juice to drive the speakers well. Audyssey setup does set conservative levels for all speakers connected. I assume you have already set the AVR to handle 4 ohms impedance given your speakers. (Refer to Owners Manual if not done).

Secondly after running Audyssey setup why not manually increase each speaker level by +1db and see if that makes a difference. The AVR will run warm or hot, I understand this model has already 2 thermal fans inside which supposedly start when things get too hot.

Try to increase manually the speaker level settings and see if that make a difference before investing in a power amp. Do this carefully and by the book. Run the AVR on conservative volumes and gradually increased. If you feel the AVR is getting much hotter / warmer than before then maybe you then need to invest in a power amp.

Emotiva pairs well with Marantz, one of our forum ex member had paired a BassX150 with a SR6009 to run Tower speakers.

Crown are good professional power amps used for decades and some of our FMs use them in their setups. Possibly you can consider them too.

I think the SR6013 has enough juice to drive the speakers well. Audyssey setup does set conservative levels for all speakers connected. I assume you have already set the AVR to handle 4 ohms impedance given your speakers. (Refer to Owners Manual if not done).

Secondly after running Audyssey setup why not manually increase each speaker level by +1db and see if that makes a difference. The AVR will run warm or hot, I understand this model has already 2 thermal fans inside which supposedly start when things get too hot.

Try to increase manually the speaker level settings and see if that make a difference before investing in a power amp. Do this carefully and by the book. Run the AVR on conservative volumes and gradually increased. If you feel the AVR is getting much hotter / warmer than before then maybe you then need to invest in a power amp.

Emotiva pairs well with Marantz, one of our forum ex member had paired a BassX150 with a SR6009 to run Tower speakers.

Crown are good professional power amps used for decades and some of our FMs use them in their setups. Possibly you can consider them too.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I have only increased subwoofer volume after running my Audyssey setup. Will try to increase speaker level as you suggested as well.
Unfortunately in India it is very difficult, if not impossible to try to figure out if power amplifier ( or any other electronics) is indeed adding any value and then experimenting with 2/3 amplifier to finalise which one to choose, as there are no return policies. That’s why we need to rely on experience of others.

This is Wrong, by lowering it you will limit the power in the avr amps & cause more damage then good.
Always LEAVE it on 8ohms.

If i had to choose between the 2, i would take the Anthem MCA225 gen2 any day of the week. I had the Anthem MCA225 previous gen for a while.
It was a fantastic power amp & miss it till today.

Cheers.

If i had to choose between the 2, i would take the Anthem MCA225 gen2 any day of the week. I had the Anthem MCA225 previous gen for a while.
It was a fantastic power amp & miss it till today.

Cheers.
Thanks for your suggestion. I am also inclined towards that as well.

This is Wrong, by lowering it you will limit the power in the avr amps & cause more damage then good.
Always LEAVE it on 8ohms.

OP has mentioned that his speakers are 4 ohms and hence suggested the same since the latest Marantz AVRs have settings available to change impedance. Regardless even at 8 ohms the AVR can still perform.

Can anybody comment on how Parasound HaloA23+ compares with Anthem MCA225. It is around 10-15 percent cheaper than Anthem in India but also have less wattage.

+1 for Anthem. On the other hand, you could get Marantz 7055, 5 ch power amp. It's listed on Amazon India for 95k as of date. Just a reference. There should be authorised dealers in and around your place.

Hello everybody,

you could Check out the following Indian manufacturer’s from India too:
1.Acoustic portraits out of Bangalore. Their prices are mentioned on their website. Supposedly very good. But pricey.
2. anode acoustics - cheaper than the above, but I haven’t been able to find anyone who will vouch for quality.
3.O&B out of Pune. Ive come across some people who have already bought these and are happy with them. There’s one user on Hifi vision here too who bought a stereo amp and was happy with it. I’m getting one made by him now.

I researched emotiva but decided against as I came across some user comments in other forums mentioning some of the emotive amps suffering from a slight hum. Don’t know if this exists all across their range though.

However while enquiring within a budget of 1.5-2 lakh I mostly came across Emotiva xpa 3 (approx 1.9 lakh) and Anthem MCA 225( approx 2 lakh). I know Anthem is 2 channel and Emotiva is 3 channel.
I am using Emotiva xp gen3 Amp and happy with it. It will give enormous power to your speaker. Its rated 275 to 300watts RMS @8 ohms and @4ohms it may go up to 500 to 600 watts RMS per channel.
You may check Emotiva Gen2 PA also which should be suffiecient to power your 4 ohm speakers @200 watts.

Comparing the cost from US , yes definitely its very expensive in india due to import duties + GST.
Anthem PAs are also very good , but they are very expensive than Emotiva PAs.

I would eventually add all my 5 speakers to PA if it makes a difference ( that’s the plan at least).
It's may not be required i guess. You can focus more on front stage speakers. And you can tweak the surround speakers by changing AVR speaker levels to match the front speakers which is suffice for most of the time.
If budget is not constraint then you may consider getting PA for surround speakers also in the future or consider other low cost PA for surround speakers.

you could Check out the following Indian manufacturer’s from India too:
1.Acoustic portraits out of Bangalore. Their prices are mentioned on their website. Supposedly very good. But pricey.
2. anode acoustics - cheaper than the above, but I haven’t been able to find anyone who will vouch for quality.
3.O&B out of Pune. Ive come across some people who have already bought these and are happy with them. There’s one user on Hifi vision here too who bought a stereo amp and was happy with it. I’m getting one made by him now.

I researched emotiva but decided against as I came across some user comments in other forums mentioning some of the emotive amps suffering from a slight hum. Don’t know if this exists all across their range though.
Thanks for your suggestion. Will definitely check them out

Comparing the cost from US , yes definitely its very expensive in india due to import duties + GST.
Anthem PAs are also very good , but they are very expensive than Emotiva PAs.
That’s true. But I still believe certain products are too overpriced in India. Emotiva, even after discounts are nearly twice the price.
However, Anthem after discount is probably 20-30 percent more. If tax and gst are the only issues there should not be too much discrepancy. I am not an expert though in this area.
Also I feel when comparing between 2 products, in terms of price as proxy for performance ( since it is difficult to audition products as per choice in India), it should be done as per price in the country of origin.

However, your feedback with regards to Emotiva has been very helpful. Would you say it makes a difference over a mid range AVR , like Marantz SR6013?

That’s true. But I still believe certain products are too overpriced in India. Emotiva, even after discounts are nearly twice the price.
However, Anthem after discount is probably 20-30 percent more. If tax and gst are the only issues there should not be too much discrepancy. I am not an expert though in this area.
Also I feel when comparing between 2 products, in terms of price as proxy for performance ( since it is difficult to audition products as per choice in India), it should be done as per price in the country of origin.
Yes correct. It's everybody's concern. As a consumer we wanted to buy the product with best price as per the country of origin where the price is fixed. I think Emotiva or Anthem setting up price based on import duties + GST we have to pay extra. The price might also be different based on the country of origin where it's imported.

However, your feedback with regards to Emotiva has been very helpful. Would you say it makes a difference over a mid range AVR , like Marantz SR6013?
I felt huge difference after adding PA to my own setup. The speakers come alive and sounded crisp and clear after adding PA. With high volumes speakers sounded very punchy and crisp. The music notes sounded better which i have not heard before.

Yes correct. It's everybody's concern. As a consumer we wanted to buy the product with best price as per the country of origin where the price is fixed. I think Emotiva or Anthem setting up price based on import duties + GST we have to pay extra. The price might also be different based on the country of origin where it's imported.

I felt huge difference after adding PA to my own setup. The speakers come alive and sounded crisp and clear after adding PA. With high volumes speakers sounded very punchy and crisp. The music notes sounded better which i have not heard before.
Great. Thanks a lot for your feedback

Hello everybody,

Yes definitely worth of adding PA to the AVR.
Between 2 ,I would take Anthem PA.
Emotiva is still a good PA.

Also Please check Tonewinner 5 channel amplifier which may fit in your budget.Its a very good amp ,with best price to performance ratio.

oandbco.com
the proprietor is Aniket Das. Since you are from Pune you can contact him and visit. He’s located at magar patta.
Even after a long long research for a good amp, which could drive my hard to drive planar headphones with authority, I've finally reached Mr. Aniket Das from O&B and he is in process of finalizing the design for my amp.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
I was thinking to add power amplifier.
Hi,
That's a great set up, I dunno if have said the same thing in another of your threads, but coming to the point, the AV QR series are beauties that are fairly easy to drive. The LRs, if I am not wrong, are 90 db claimed sensitivity, and the other channels are not very far behind, if I have it right.

So, the first thing to understand is why you feel the need for additional power? Is there a specific deficit you are feeling?

The SR60xx series are proper beefcakes when it comes to amplification. There shouldn't be a need for extra amplification for your requirements.

What is your room size and how far back do you sit?

Based on other threads in this forum it’s a mixed bag. Some people mentioned PA makes a significant difference while some other feels it is not so important.
The Emotivas have been used by many here and elsewhere, and they do deliver what they promise from my reading.
I have a specific personal grouse against Emotiva in India - they are a low-cost internet direct brand in the US, and the arrival price in India via dealer is just not worth it. If you can source one via a visitor, nothing like it, that is if you are set on adding a PA to your system.

Having said that, short, straight answer to your question will be to DM FM @ankitbhargava. He runs an SR6xxx powered by Emotivas. And he is one very happy cat.

As I said, your speakers are great. So, I really don't know what you are lacking.
Sharing room size and listening distance will help.
All said, I would suggest investing a small amount in a local PA for your requirement and see how it sounds to your ears.

If you are going 5-channel, go direct to the Emotivas.
All the best

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back