Anyone has SVS SB12-Plus Sub ?

ajitbm

Hi All,

My SVS SB12-Plus sub will be arriving next week. Wanted to check if any brother here has SVS Sub's so that they can advice a novice like me to set it up :)

I juz got back from a biz trip and saw ur reply...

Well, I know where I want the sub...have decided on where to put it... Juz got the delivery from US... took 10 days only from order to delivery :)

What I need to know is how do I sync it with my other speakers.. how can it blend in without being overpowering. I juz ordered B&W 685 for fronts and B&W HTM62 for centre and Quad 11L for surrounds (later to be my stereo speakers for bed room). I will try and see how my Deono 3808 integrates the sub (SB12-Plus) with teh speakers.... I think most likely I will have to setup the sub

Cheers

Very impressive gear Ajit. Congratulations!!!

Have fun toying around with installation and set up. The Denon has a very good auto setup. Start with 12'o clock position and 80Hz. Try it first and then, you can adjust it as per your preference. The thump rule is to do bass management using music source rather than movies. Get hold of a clean recording music with good enough bass. If you set it right with music, movies usually falls in place :)

Let us know if you face any difficulty.

Best Regards.

Thanks for the advice. Will try lookin for a music CD with good bass... Was quite busy for the last few days and so couldn't setup the sub....

Any CD/Song reccomendation which has good bass ?? I usually listen to rock and some pop.... I played Transformers DVD when I juz plugged in the sub to do a quick check on delivery.. Found that the movie is full of good bass (during fight scenes) ....

Cheers,
Ajit

Last edited:
Yes, Transfromers is a good movie for auditions. You can also try the Bourne Ultimatum, Das Boot, U-571, Day after tomorrow, Fight Club (E), Godzilla, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Monsters Inc as well as all the LOTR etc.

For music you can use-

Claire Martine, Holy Cole-Temptation, Patria Barber - Cafe Blue, Diana Krall-Live in Paris/All for you etc.

For male voices, you can use Billy Cobham-the best of, Eric Clapton-Unplugged, James Taylor - October Road etc.

Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin is a good bass tester. I'm not a huge rock fan but once in a while I listen to the likes of Metallica- Enter Sandman - the bass shakes my entire house! Just for the kicks :)

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Last edited:
For music - do check out the reproduction of the acoustic double-bass in Clapton's unplugged. Dave Brubeck's Take Five and Blue Rondo a la Turk are good too for testing sub musicality. Stanley Clarke's The Bass-ic collection or Return To Forever (with Chick Corea)...also comes to mind...

Thanks for the suggestions guys.... Will have to visit a CD shop this weekend as I have none of the recceomnded music CD's :D

SVS :) google me!

alright, hope you have got SPL meter bundled with sub package.

Calibrate all the speakers to 75db @ reference level on AMP to start with & increase / decrease centre speaker to desired listening level.

Set LFE on amp to -6ish, gain to 10 O'clock position on SB12, run the test tone (to start with), tweak either LFE on amp or sub gain until you achieve 75db on SPL metre. If you are a serious basshead you can increase upto 85db.

test tones as other posters mentioned. added a few War of the worlds pod emerge scene & thunder scene, Transformers qatar attack

music a must have: blueman group live, SB12 gives you a chest slam effect!

SB12 is an amazing sub of that size, which is very fast & musical!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.... Will have to visit a CD shop this weekend as I have none of the recceomnded music CD's :D

If you are a little into western classical, then pick up "Great Organ Works" by J.S. Bach. BTW, no other musical instrument in the world can go as low as the 3 to 4 stories tall church organ. On the cover of the CD, is a photograph of the Brombaugh (if I remember correctly) college organ that is simply awesome.

Die Hard 4.0 has some fantastic chest-slamming LFE...Enjoy yr long weekend. Happy Holi!!:)

No competition to Pipe organ subsonics, but SB12 won't dig down that low unlike her big brothers

If you are a little into western classical, then pick up "Great Organ Works" by J.S. Bach. BTW, no other musical instrument in the world can go as low as the 3 to 4 stories tall church organ. On the cover of the CD, is a photograph of the Brombaugh (if I remember correctly) college organ that is simply awesome.

Hi All,

My SVS SB12-Plus sub will be arriving next week. Wanted to check if any brother here has SVS Sub's so that they can advice a novice like me to set it up :)

Hi Ajit, happened to see your post now. I have been planning to buy a SVS sub, their entry level though which PB10 NSD. Can you share information how much did the shipping cost you, was door to door or door to ariport. How much, any duties taxes?? etc.

hi ajitbm,

Congrats on your new sub. I was looking for this sub, as it has got very good reviews. Please post your experience with this sub.

Also wanted to know how much you paid in total to get this sub from US? It would be great if you can give me the details, original cost of the sub, Shipping, Customs.

The 12Plus and the 10 are very different subs - one is musical (boxed enclosure) and the other is for HT and ported. Excellent subs by the way and for their needs. If you are in to HT the 10 or its bigger brother 12 will be the way to go. Mind you both of these are huge. So measure your space before you place the order....end ensure the photos on yoru wall are re-secured as the 12 can rattle yours and your neighbours houses. It can easily go down to 17-18Hz but when tuned properly which means you only feel the effects.

Hi Ajit, happened to see your post now. I have been planning to buy a SVS sub, their entry level though which PB10 NSD. Can you share information how much did the shipping cost you, was door to door or door to ariport. How much, any duties taxes?? etc.

Animated movies usually have very high technical values. You can check "Dinosaurs" for amazing LFE . Next in order would be Happy feet. If you do listen to south indian music and language is of no bar to you.. do listen to the " Sundari" song from Thalapathi(Tamil)/dalapathi (Telugu). That one has amazing strings and wind instruments.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back