Anyone here uses 78 rpm Bollywood records?

prem

Hi

Do anyone of the forum members use 78 rpm records for Bollywood music? How do they compare to the standard 331/3 lps? Are they noisier? Is fidelity similar?

I do it, both for bollywood records and Indian classical music. I have not been able to clean them, therefore, definitely there is effect of dirt but they sound far superior to the 331/3 LPs. There is no comparison absolutely. I have a dedicated TT for 78s.

I do it, both for bollywood records and Indian classical music. I have not been able to clean them, therefore, definitely there is effect of dirt but they sound far superior to the 331/3 LPs. There is no comparison absolutely. I have a dedicated TT for 78s.
What TT and cart do you use for 78s?

Great to hear this navinsinha, would love to hear some gyan on the cartridges for 78s as well. are these steel stylus ?

Unfortunately the majority of the 78s I have are so old I am not sure if they have a permanent groove damage but the noise never let me enjoy them. I bought seperate ceramic carts for them to fit on my plastic TT numark pt01 usb as it was never a serious hobby with 78s. One point off was that 78s had 1 track a side so the frequent change of records was annoying to a CD guy like me.

Thanks Haisaikat. Yes most 78 rpm records are unplayable because of groove damage

A single record for only two songs, and the minimum of four records for an old movie, heavy physical weight of records: hence definitely will not be suitable for restricted place. And after all these drawbacks then most importantly we have to bear the horrible surface noise. No choice for different range of cartridges. Should have separate turntable.

Dear Prem,
Here I am using different vinyl players for 78 rpm vinyl records. Yes they are more noisy than their cousins 33 1/3 lps. But I still enjoy with lots of hiss and pops. Can,t help it. Beggars can’t be choosers, as the oldies are mostly found on 73 rpm.
Yes changing the stylus and the head shell may make a minute difference.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back