Anyone on the forum has the DJI phantom drones? want to know India rules on import

arnprasad

HI..i plan to buy the DJI Phantom std 3 - a team member is going to China where its 2999 CNY.

now when i google on drones in india - i get many conflicting answers:

(a) Apparently flying a drone in cities and protected monument is illegal..so its fine..i plan to fly it at tourist places like beaches and mountains where hopefully there is no defense establishment. Basically used to shoot family and friends at a low altitude
(b) DGCA apparently is still framing rules - it is on the list of banned items or items that need to be declared -so fine i am ok with declaring it
(c) then it says we have to pay duty on it - not sure if we have to pay 100% of the time or its covered under the 35K duty free limit

Its sad that while rest of the world get to enjoy such gadgets, we are stuck in bureaucracy. No wonder our LCA has been rejected by our own Navy and Airforce and our DRDO drones are used by advanced countries to practice anti aircraft missiles. If they want our engineers to build the latest and greatest - we have to start from consumer level production and then graduate to military.

Anyways, political views apart - want some advice as team member will be leaving in the next 15 days

Re: Anyone on the forum has the DJI phantom drones? want to know India rules on impor

drones are a major security risk and the whole world is worried about them. terrorists are using commercial drones for a wide variety of purposes including bombings. there are rumours of groups attempting to fit bio and chem weapons on them. Check google for more info. In my opinion, these should be/stay banned.

Re: Anyone on the forum has the DJI phantom drones? want to know India rules on impor

People are using the DJI for shooting weddings etc. It should not be used near any military intallations, within city or near airports. I think low altitude flying should be fine. Get an additional battery pack.

Adding to Audiodoc, absolutely avoid filming national tourist spots like Taj, monuments and all, public and crowded places. I know some one was charged heavily coz of this. As long as you are shooting aloof in remote holiday spots, even at high altitude it should be ok.

I will also sooner or later purchase one of these the video shots you can take are just amazing and mesmerizing. I am all bananas for the newly released DJI phantom mavic. It is just AMAZING... :)

Last edited:

Thanks everyone..i did read all the links pasted above and that is why i was asking.

western countries have no issues with drone except flying upto limited altitude. Not really sure what new risk our folks found out. Regarding it being used for bombing - looking at pathankot, uri or nagrota - we dont need sophisticated technology to get inside high security zones.

Anyways my hope was more for someone having brought it..coz after my freind gets it to an Indian airport - dont want folks at the airport refusing to let it through..at 30K INR..not worth the risk.

Maybe i will wait for the phantom 4 or mavic pro to come down to 300 dollar levels...maybe in 2 years time :clapping:

Just buy it and get a good vast place to try it dont use it in crowded area where people can see it and that makes issues even they can file police complaint against you then the story will be different.If you dont have the place to use it then dont buy it.

places like below an open ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVHr7cEVqZs

Last edited:

If it's illegal in India, why is Amazon shipping them directly to India (no 3rd party seller).

This is the estimate Amazon shows for the DJI Mavic Pro, yet to release.

Shipping & Fee Details

Price : $999.00
AmazonGlobal Shipping : $12.20
Estimated Import Fees Deposit : $299.46
Total : $1,310.66

This is for the Parrot Bebop Quad.

Shipping & Fee Details

Price : $261.24
AmazonGlobal Shipping : $15.47
Estimated Import Fees Deposit : $81.94
Total : $358.65

When does a drone move from a toy status to a 'security risk'?

For example, I see Hamleys, sell drones which take HD photos and videos and sold without any warnings.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and as some of you have pointed out, buying a drone in India is not a big thing. I forgot to mention that I myself have an assortment of drones - ranging from those that are 5 inches long to one that is more than a foot. I got all of them from Gearbest via post and for the one foot drone - customs at post office actually caught it and i was told to pay some fees to get it released.

But all of the ones i have costed 1-3K so i could risk it. This one being 30K..too big a risk.

like you guys pointed out - there is no one law or one line of interpretation ...this is worrying me.

Also given that this forum is full of techies and gadget freaks, I am surprised none of you own the parrot or DJI or equivalent. Not a very good thing for India if plan to compete on the innovation front - we will always end up as recipients of innovation from the japanese and chinese and koreans amongst others

Check this : Xiaomi Mi Drone WIFI Quadcopter ****Contact Offline For This Item**** | eBay

I've mailed the person about the purchase although not going to purchase, just for more info. Your friend can bring this from China, 4K version is like CNY 3000 and 1080p version is CNY 2500.

Unlike DJI which is tried and tested, Xioami is a newbie on this front. I got two mi maxs, one redmi 3, one 10k powerbank, one 20k powerbank..so I love these guys......but cant risk 30K on their drone:indifferent14:

When does a drone move from a toy status to a 'security risk'?

For example, I see Hamleys, sell drones which take HD photos and videos and sold without any warnings.

Thats the greatness of our babus and our military. last few days they are planting stories about this bangalore company that makes drone for the defence....its everywhere...TV, websites, new paper..pick and choose is their strategy

Also given that this forum is full of techies and gadget freaks, I am surprised none of you own the parrot or DJI or equivalent. Not a very good thing for India if plan to compete on the innovation front - we will always end up as recipients of innovation from the japanese and chinese and koreans amongst others

I am in love with this gadget, and am dying to get my hands on one of these but only DJI, which still is very very expensive, so I dont know may be someday I will take the plunge ......

Hi..sorry to go off topic..I am a CA..so struggling to understand what is capacitor or resistor and all that..so googling and learning. Got kids so got the Arduino kit

Robo India The Arduino Starter Kit: Amazon.in: Electronics

want to build a moving obstacle avoiding robot with my kids as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSenMiXauYQ

now i may not be smart enough to make wheels out of caps - so dont mind spending a hundred or two..plus that sensor...will i get this stuff at SP Road in Blore (Nehru place equivalent in Delhi)?

Can be my homework for this weekend :yahoo:

Googling for it points to rubber wheels costing 6-700....dont want to spend that much...may rather buy a toy car and take the wheels from there...so want cheap/free ideas..that sensor is 125 on amazon..am guessing should be the same in SP road.

You can contact this person for Phantom and other stuff, he'll bring everything within 5-15 days, he's from Mumbai.

Ajay Sharma : 9819183551

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back