Anyone tried /wants to try this DAC {Gamma2}

yep i guess he's talking bout that value only!!
IMHO its a no brainer that a commercial product is more popular!! a DIY product will always lag behind a commercial product..ppl are just attracted to company branded products...
what is baffling to me is that the sort at that thread is according to price
CA DACmagic is more costly ($429) than a GAMMA2 (my parts cost me $160 {shipped to USA some free samples from TI cut some costs ;) }, still with no free samples the cost would be around $200)
so how come gamma2 is mid level and Dacmagic entry level :rolleyes:

Hi for everyone's info I'm dropping BOM for Gamma2 Parts here , Hope This Helps Many

Order At Mouser
shopping cart http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=522c3f5edb

Order at farnell singapore This Includes a Red Enclosure Eliminate if not needed:
2qtza5k.jpg

Order at AMB
Items:
Description Qty
----------------------------------------------------------------
y1 DAC PCB set + acc. 1
y2 DAC PCB + acc. 1
12.000MHz crystal HC49USX 1
Wima 1uF 63V film capacitor 5
47uH miniature inductor 1
47Kx5 resistor ntwk bussed 2
68Rx4 resistor ntwk isolated 3
DC power jack 1.3mm PCB-mount 1
3.5mm stereo phone jack PCB-mount 2
RCA jack PCB-mount gold contacts 3
3P & 5P pin receptacle set 2 sets
TORX147PL fiber-optic receiver 1
TPS2115APW power multiplexer 1
WM8501GED/V 24b/192K DAC 1

Texas instruments FREE SAMPLES
Part number/Description

PCM2707PJT 2

SRC4192 2

TPS793475DBVR 2

OPA2365 2

cheers

Last edited:
are you sure about that. The parts alone are about $200 .
FWIR @headfi, It would take about $350 for a commisioned build esp. from a reputed builder like MisterX.
I would be very interested if its only $200.

i checked with him today 330usd without the powersupply including shipping, anybody here assembled this dac? looks it is the 2nd best diy dac( first being the buffalo 2 but it is not available)

p8060450.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i ordered in june last week, paid 270$ to mister x for the assembled pcb. It was shipped through usps priority mail in july and i got it today.

3300 rs customs charges.i need to bulid a lm 317 based linear supply and plan to put it along with the myref premium i am building

Last edited:
^Very Nice.
looking forward for your impressions.
BTW, what kind of case are you planning to use with this ?

i am waiting for the 12kmfd filter caps for the myref amp to test these, right now i have only ms carnival 6 speakers which i use for H.T. for testing these So i dont expect much.
I am planning to build a pair with scanspeak drivers , now searching the forum for reviews and experiences

cabinet is an issue, i originally planned to put this along with the myref in the same cabinet.for the time being, myref and its toroid etc is sitting in an inverter cabinet
Now when i see that the input ,and output connectors on one side and the input select switch,and filter select etc on the other side i am rethinking about that

@borg

the total cost is 270$ + 3300 customs?
inclusive of ALL ? (other than the supply)

@borg

the total cost is 270$ + 3300 customs?
inclusive of ALL ? (other than the supply)

yes, it is without the cabinet, mister x quoted me 330$ with cabinet

and linear supply with lm317 cost less than 100rs( smal transformer, lm 317t, resstors, small cap, and a common pcb)

it is assembled in to a cabinet containing myref premium amp. i have soldered the output to myref, so didnt do a test without dac. This is my first system and so dont have a reference to do a comparison. May be some experienced audiophiles can comeover to my place and review them. i really dont know how to describe sound.
i like them when it plays the music i like

it is assembled in to a cabinet containing myref premium amp. i have soldered the output to myref, so didnt do a test without dac. This is my first system and so dont have a reference to do a comparison. May be some experienced audiophiles can comeover to my place and review them. i really dont know how to describe sound.
i like them when it plays the music i like

Now thats a clue. A really good piece of gear will hopefully allow you to expand your horizons by making more of the music likeable.

Is this MyRef 1.2? What trafo are you using? EI core or Toroid?

--G0bble

1.3 with premium kit 6A toroid, i have now a 12A toroid meant for a future f5 build(18v for f5 added a 24v tap) , i will try that someday
both amp and speakers are still under burn in process, however i heard the same speakers in soundsgreat's system and i preferred my setup

there is a hdmi to optical conversion happening in the chain that i plan to eliminate with direct coax input

Last edited:
My free build offer is there for three members.. will add in general chit chat.....
dont order the engraved aluminum case you will save
40USD ,may be more in shipping... here we have many solutions for case in < 500Rs.
hi, I cam across your post regarding the Gamma 2. Are you doing this anymore ? If so I would be interested. Please let me know.
Many thanks
Abraham

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back