Jean Hiraga Super 30 - The Beginning

Critical power supply capacitor are compromised. Also resistors look compromised to me.
Elna, denon and wima don't sound like compromises to me... Nor does Vishay dale. In fact they sound like good choices, and I am sure they sound fantastic in real life.
Nowhere does it say that a Diy creation needs to be an ugly jumble of wires, with the whole thing looking like it's held together with a hope and a prayer. Nor does it always have to look like an assembled wooden box. There is a lot of merit in making your creation look good, and suggesting that the pursuit of aesthetics is somehow detrimental to the quality of sound is ridiculous, when, I repeat, there is no obvious compromise on the functionality.
I am not an expert, but I think the technical term for these kind of posts is "trolling" :rolleyes:

Just saw this build. Amazing work! I have been DIYing for many decades now and know the effort, persistence and passion that needs to go into the final product. Your work exemplifies it. Passion and persistence makes for perfection.

Kudos, maybe I will get there one day.......

Cheers,

Lionx, outstanding. Both the amp and speakers look a thorough professional job. Elna and Wima is good stuff :)

Better parts does not necessarily mean better sound. It all depends on the circuit and the voicing you want. Most times it’s just a parallel shift.

Last edited:
Art for sound ! Beautiful looking and sounding amp ! Kudos on very first attempt ! What would your next builds like !!!!! This is already beyond imagination !
There are many in consideration,
1. Blomley Class B
2. Alpha Nirvana Class A
3. JLH 1969
Below speaker projects also,
1. Karlson 15
2. Karlsonator 6

Wow! Congratulations @Lionx ! what a build! Looks beautiful!
Yours was an inspiration brother, that was my first experience with JH during the audio meet.

Thanks Hiten for clearing the air, as I mentioned earlier all the components on the amp PCB are carefully chosen for optimum performance. It was initially intended for my personal use hence there were no compromises made on quality.

Hari's point is that he would have gone for some exotic parts instead of spending on the looks. It is also valid and of course a personal choice, I could have gone with gold plated connectors, pure silver wires and also oil capacitors and put all these in a simple wood or sheet metal case.

My sole intention to publish this thread here was that to change the perception of DIY build. It can match any professional build if the designer put his mind to it. I haven't kept any trade secrets here, all my sources are listed and I am more than willing to help anyone who needs assistance.
I already started designing a not-so high end looking but versatile chassis design which can host any heatsink models. Going to make 10 units of that so that we can save a lot of money on CNC and that can be used for low power class A and any class AB amp boards.
Sir, you have one Class A amp order from me.

There are many in consideration,
1. Blomley Class B
2. Alpha Nirvana Class A
3. JLH 1969
Below speaker projects also,
1. Karlson 15
2. Karlsonator 6

Yours was an inspiration brother, that was my first experience with JH during the audio meet.
Hey, whats the plan on karlsonator 6? Which driver are you planning it for?

Thanks
Balaji

@Lionx , can you describe the sound signature of Jean Hiraga Super 30, Yamaha /Sony Vfet or a 300 B tube amp? Thanks in advance.

The sound signature of the above mesnioned amps cant be comparable.The Jean Hiraga Super 30 is typical class A amp which have very nice vocals with musical bass.But when we put vfet and 300b both are similar character as a triode signature but vfet is faster.Vfet amp sound signature is well depend on the circuit they using but they are stunning in all department.They have rich vocals, bass and detaling everything in it.Again yamaha vfet is muscular sony vfet is smoother and I like sony TAN 4650 vfet as best sounding.Vfet are not in production now.

@Lionx , can you describe the sound signature of Jean Hiraga Super 30, Yamaha /Sony Vfet or a 300 B tube amp? Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard a VFET amp yet hence cannot give an exact impression. With respect to JH, it is very transparent and energetic amp, the sound signature is mainly depends on the pre amp. It can give you a tube kind of sound if paired with tube pre with moderate gain.

Extremely Great build. One of THE best, lookwise. Given the design used, there's no doubt that it must be sounding equally great too.

BTW, choosing Samwha for filter bank cannot be called a compromise on components. Even Sugden Audio uses Samwha electrolytic capacitors all throughout in their top of the line, flagship products like A21se amplifiers. I don't know why Samwha got such negative reviews.

Regards

Extremely Great build. One of THE best, lookwise. Given the design used, there's no doubt that it must be sounding equally great too.

BTW, choosing Samwha for filter bank cannot be called a compromise on components. Even Sugden Audio uses Samwha electrolytic capacitors all throughout in their top of the line, flagship products like A21se amplifiers. I don't know why Samwha got such negative reviews.

Regards
Thanks for the kind words.
Even I was not sure why Samwa got such hatred, i haven't faced any issues with them personally.

Time for the unveil :)
View attachment 53247

The cat eyes,
View attachment 53262
The Neutrik Powercon connectors,
View attachment 53249

With 2.5sqmmx3 custom power cable,
View attachment 53250

Rhodium RCAs,
View attachment 53252

Binding Posts
View attachment 53253

Rear panel
View attachment 53254

You may see the Logos are placed with Epoxy and has a shine which enhance the contrast.
View attachment 53255

The spikes has a shine due to epoxy but retains the natural look.
View attachment 53256

The top plate logo has a subtle background color.
View attachment 53257

That's how I look when playing.
View attachment 53258

This is designed to be kept on the floor for smooth air circulation, the amp gets only warm (below 40) now even after hours of operation. The massive heatsinks and black anodizing must be helping, you wont feel that its a Class A in operation. There is no need to explicitly mention how the amp sounds as JH design is well known for the warm sound and butter smooth mids. It has a real nice control on the low notes and has plenty of power to drive most of the speaker units, we had paired it with Tannoys towers and the result was mesmerizing.

The amp has been delivered last week, a month earlier than the target date and well within the budget.

The signoff pic,
View attachment 53260

Thanks for viewing, please let the comments flows.
Amazing build brother.

Time for the unveil :)
View attachment 53247

The cat eyes,
View attachment 53262
The Neutrik Powercon connectors,
View attachment 53249

With 2.5sqmmx3 custom power cable,
View attachment 53250

Rhodium RCAs,
View attachment 53252

Binding Posts
View attachment 53253

Rear panel
View attachment 53254

You may see the Logos are placed with Epoxy and has a shine which enhance the contrast.
View attachment 53255

The spikes has a shine due to epoxy but retains the natural look.
View attachment 53256

The top plate logo has a subtle background color.
View attachment 53257

That's how I look when playing.
View attachment 53258

This is designed to be kept on the floor for smooth air circulation, the amp gets only warm (below 40) now even after hours of operation. The massive heatsinks and black anodizing must be helping, you wont feel that its a Class A in operation. There is no need to explicitly mention how the amp sounds as JH design is well known for the warm sound and butter smooth mids. It has a real nice control on the low notes and has plenty of power to drive most of the speaker units, we had paired it with Tannoys towers and the result was mesmerizing.

The amp has been delivered last week, a month earlier than the target date and well within the budget.

The signoff pic,
View attachment 53260

Thanks for viewing, please let the comments flows.
Wow!!! It looks stunning.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back