Anyone using wet / dry Vacuum Cleaner for Vinyl Cleaning

haisaikat

After following all suggestions on various threads of this forum and else where on internet, I have decided to invest in vacuum cleaning for vinyls, do have some oldies from my late father's collection too.

While I looked as full automated record cleaning machines like VPI, Okki Nokki, etc, realized that they are way costlier above my budget and the cheapest one costing around 200 USD seems to be a semi automatic where although the vacuum is built into the machine like the costlier ones, yet the record needs to be turuned by hand. Also seems costlier machines are quieter. Could not find a handy person to carry it back from abroad.

Next, looked at comparatively cheaper solutions and found this one https://squeakycleanvinyl.com where a person from Canada who had initially a 3D printing business ended up also manufacturing a platter and a cleaning overhang pipe to clean a vinyl provided the vacuum is connected externally. Essentially they are 3D printing the top part of a otherwise standard vacuum record cleaning machine for lower cost (~ 130 USD). But his availability is an issue and twice i cancelled since it would not reach my friend returning on time. Sometime wonder if someone in India could have 3D printed a similar one for a lot cheaper.

Finally ended up ordering Vinyl VAC 33 / 45 with its liquid which is just the top pipe that has to be placed on the Record by pivoting on the spindle. Ref https://www.vinylvac.net/ and it is for 30 USD each (33 / 45) and hence half cost of the previous one and yes of course less convenient to use. I could not spend time on DIY as Some members have suggested to me as their own project which are indeed very nice and does the same thing with more flexibility

Now the question is what would be a recommeded Wet / Dry Vacuum cleaner to use with this? I would be looking at buying old ones from OLX. Owing to the very less liquid on surface is it possible to use a regular dry vac?

After following all suggestions on various threads of this forum and else where on internet, I have decided to invest in vacuum cleaning for vinyls, do have some oldies from my late father's collection too.

While I looked as full automated record cleaning machines like VPI, Okki Nokki, etc, realized that they are way costlier above my budget and the cheapest one costing around 200 USD seems to be a semi automatic where although the vacuum is built into the machine like the costlier ones, yet the record needs to be turuned by hand. Also seems costlier machines are quieter. Could not find a handy person to carry it back from abroad.

Next, looked at comparatively cheaper solutions and found this one https://squeakycleanvinyl.com where a person from Canada who had initially a 3D printing business ended up also manufacturing a platter and a cleaning overhang pipe to clean a vinyl provided the vacuum is connected externally. Essentially they are 3D printing the top part of a otherwise standard vacuum record cleaning machine for lower cost (~ 130 USD). But his availability is an issue and twice i cancelled since it would not reach my friend returning on time. Sometime wonder if someone in India could have 3D printed a similar one for a lot cheaper.

Finally ended up ordering Vinyl VAC 33 / 45 with its liquid which is just the top pipe that has to be placed on the Record by pivoting on the spindle. Ref https://www.vinylvac.net/ and it is for 30 USD each (33 / 45) and hence half cost of the previous one and yes of course less convenient to use. I could not spend time on DIY as Some members have suggested to me as their own project which are indeed very nice and does the same thing with more flexibility

Now the question is what would be a recommeded Wet / Dry Vacuum cleaner to use with this? I would be looking at buying old ones from OLX. Owing to the very less liquid on surface is it possible to use a regular dry vac?

Do not use a dry vac for sucking up liquids however less it is. The internal parts and wiring are not insulated against liquids and will result in a short circuit and electrical damage to the vac.

Hi there. Good idea but there is a warning. Am into vacuum cleaning business past 40 years, having an establishment serving clients catering to their needs of sofa upholstery, carpets, rugs, and car interior cleaning. Please know that all such cleaning has water based solvents and alkaline solutions.
Under no circumstances you could use a dry vacuum, as doing so will ruin and short circuit the electrical copper windings, which may even result in an electrical hazard. Even a little minute droplet could ruin your equipment.
Kindly use wet and dry vacuum only without having anything to worry.

I think point well taken, use wet vacuum only and not dry only. But what is a good recommendation and can i buy a used one?

Please see Kuruvila Jacob's vinyl cleaning method on YouTube . You will get an Idea of how to use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner for cleaning vinyl records

Please see Kuruvila Jacob's vinyl cleaning method on YouTube . You will get an Idea of how to use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner for cleaning vinyl records

I have seen that and my intention is on these lines only.

However my ask is for a suggestion of the wet dry vacuum at affordable budget.

However my ask is for a suggestion of the wet dry vacuum at affordable budget.

Better if you specify what is "affordable" for you.
Kent, Karcher, Bosch have prices much lower than the Eureka Forbes in the video, at least on line.
Sourcing from USA or similar, if possible, might be still cheaper.

Hello @haisakat. Do you already have wet and dry vacuum for your house then you could use that, or if you really need one for dual purpose, and if you do not want to go for expensive branded then used one would be fine provided you check with the seller if any warranty is left, and ask for a bargain price. Brands like eureka Forbes, karcher and Bosch would be fine. Please do not buy such unit which has been repaired. Also keep in mind that a wet and dry vacuum cleaner has a dry woolen felt type cloth which is worn only if you are dry vacuuming like dust etc. While using the wet vacuum the dry woolen cloth is removed in many model and you will see a cage like structure attached to the motor with a round ball. This ball is like a float where once the bottom tub capacity is full with water, it will stick to the outlet air vent to block the suctioned water from damaging the motor.
Please read the instruction before use, as each model has different functions specially voltage etc

Buy entry-level vacuum record cleaner. Very powerful suction cleaning.

did you mean entry level wet vacuum cleaner or entry level record cleaner? the later is way costly as i see it

Hello @haisakat. Do you already have wet and dry vacuum for your house then you could use that, or if you really need one for dual purpose, and if you do not want to go for expensive branded then used one would be fine provided you check with the seller if any warranty is left, and ask for a bargain price. Brands like eureka Forbes, karcher and Bosch would be fine. Please do not buy such unit which has been repaired. Also keep in mind that a wet and dry vacuum cleaner has a dry woolen felt type cloth which is worn only if you are dry vacuuming like dust etc. While using the wet vacuum the dry woolen cloth is removed in many model and you will see a cage like structure attached to the motor with a round ball. This ball is like a float where once the bottom tub capacity is full with water, it will stick to the outlet air vent to block the suctioned water from damaging the motor.
Please read the instruction before use, as each model has different functions specially voltage etc

Thanks really very helpful post, the kind of response i am looking for. I am shortlisting a few, hopefully will find a one in my budget

Hi,
I wonder how many of you have tried a blower in place of vacuum. I use a heavy duty blower. With a vinyl vac the pads tend to press the dirt back into the grooves. But the blower blows the dirt away & dries the remnant water. No need of a vacuum wet or dry.
Regards

Hi,
I wonder how many of you have tried a blower in place of vacuum. I use a heavy duty blower. With a vinyl vac the pads tend to press the dirt back into the grooves. But the blower blows the dirt away & dries the remnant water. No need of a vacuum wet or dry.
Regards

In Professional made cleaning machines like the Record Doctor 5 the suction is applied at the bottom face of the record and is claimed that in normal operation do not touch record surface, I think the same applies for expensive top suction machines like Okki Nokki and VPI. I think the problem is the manual low cost cleaning methods where the suction slit touches record as we control the record rotation and suction rod both by hands.

For blower modes I am curios to know how clean the blown air will be so as not to deposit additional dust (stuck inside the pipe from suction modes) on the record than suction which should not potentially have this problem

I use a Stanley blower exclusively for record cleaning. I have no indication of dust from the pipe coming onto the record as i keep the blower clean. In my experience, it works better than vacuum suction using vinylvac. Of course, using a diy ultrasonic cleaner will give better results

I bought my wet and dry vacuum cleaner for 4 K second hand years ago. I am sure you should find them in Sunday markets in many places. Euroclean machines are trouble free and very powerful. Heat could do great harm to the record. So using a blower for vinyl would be disastrous

Dear @Fiftyfifty, I would like to mention here that please note that blower that suck air from around is full of dust particles, which when blown by forced air could sit in the grooves. Yes if you add a thick felt sponge or cloth where the air is suck in could improve the results, but then you require a more stronger and high rpm blower, but still all the solution and water would mess the sorrounding.

Dear @Fiftyfifty, I would like to mention here that please note that blower that suck air from around is full of dust particles, which when blown by forced air could sit in the grooves. Yes if you add a thick felt sponge or cloth where the air is suck in could improve the results, but then you require a more stronger and high rpm blower, but still all the solution and water would mess the sorrounding.
Yes, I appreciate what you mention. I use a filter and a very powerful blower. The only issue is that it is so forceful that if i don't direct it correctly, it will blow half the room away ;). Also, this process comes after spinning and brushing, so there's not a whole lot of water to mess up the place.

I have tried several methods to clean records. I have found my cleaning system to be as good as the best RCMs including my friend's Loricraft RCM. Sometimes I sell bulk quantity records and I use the spin clean to save time.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back