Anyone who dont like tubes

Hello firearm12,

You're practically a neighbour, so do stop by Lyrita Audio in Delhi, to listen to tube amps. Listen, with no commitment. I promise you, all your questions will be answered.

Viren
Sure sir, thanks for the offer.
That's a drool worthy offer. Wish I could do the same in Bangalore.
@firearm12, if you do visit @viren bakhshi's place please post your findings for folks outside of NCR.
Cheers,
Raghu

Just as in SS, there is a difference between a tube amplifier and a well designed Tube amplifier. it is like the difference between a average SS amp and an audiophile Amp
Tubes are perhaps more difficult to design and the well regarded ( not well reviewed) tube amplifiers are very good. Lyrita is a very good example of a well designed tube equipment due ot its really sound design ..I would guess the custom built transformers and the voicing around it is reason for it.

so contrary to one perception that tubes are limited in some dimensions but excel in others, more experienced ears say that this is not true and it’s all about either speaker and amp matching, or good or bad amp designs which could exist in both worlds. As tube amps are not easy to design, so basically we get what we pay for and with challenges in tubes, it could mean that there is more durability and value/money in ss gear, hence its popularity. Looks like certainly worth to listen at Viren ji's place.

so contrary to one perception that tubes are limited in some dimensions but excel in others, more experienced ears say that this is not true and it’s all about either speaker and amp matching, or good or bad amp designs which could exist in both worlds. As tube amps are not easy to design, so basically we get what we pay for and with challenges in tubes, it could mean that there is more durability and value/money in ss gear, hence its popularity. Looks like certainly worth to listen at Viren ji's place.

Well summed up. Generally the choice of SS or tube power is usually decided based on the sensitivity of one’s speakers and the wattage of the amp. It’s more a decision on the preamp where one has to deliberate. It’s best to listen to comparably priced (and well received) SS and Tube preamps in one’s setup and decide - it’s a matter of preference. With some, our preference changes over time. It’s just that when someone says one technology always produces better sound than the other (there are both such camps) that’s when they become close-minded. It’s ok to say “for me I know I prefer a tube interface in my sound than not“ or the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to the party. From what I have seen so far, the sound you get from the system is completely dependent upon the overall system choices you make. In the right setup a tube amp of appropriate design that is well suited for that speaker can sound more dynamic and musical than another well regarded SS amp that may not be so suitable in that setup. And vice versa too. It is foolhardy to just buy individual pieces of gear based on beliefs alone and put them all together and expect magic irrespective of SS or Tubes.

Horses for courses !

Absolutely right. But getting the right pair of speakers is comparatively easier when you are pairing with ss amps . In fact it is very difficult to get a good speaker for a valve amp.
Very true. The recommended approach is always get the right speaker for your ears and room and then the amp for the speaker. Hence if the speaker you chose is better run by a tube amp then thats the only reason to get one.

So many folks get speaker and then an amp for the "Tube sound" which is where the fundamental mistake is made and due to this, in order to take advantage of the demand, manufacturers start making tube amps coloured with the "Tube sound" :) which is where it all goes wrong.

Very true. The recommended approach is always get the right speaker for your ears and room and then the amp for the speaker. Hence if the speaker you chose is better run by a tube amp then thats the only reason to get one.

So many folks get speaker and then an amp for the "Tube sound" which is where the fundamental mistake is made and due to this, in order to take advantage of the demand, manufacturers start making tube amps coloured with the "Tube sound" :) which is where it all goes wrong.

Is it that most of the widely available options for speakers are driven better by ss amps. High efficiency speakers are rare and costly.

Is it that most of the widely available options for speakers are driven better by ss amps. High efficiency speakers are rare and costly.
Thats perhaps the easiest way to generalize it and the more technically knowledgable folks can comment but the sensitivity by itself may not define this. eg a Lower efficiency Harbeth can be driven by tubes but a relatively higher efficiency B&W would need a SS :)

Better to go by whats recommended with a speaker and what works. Some speaker manufacturers do recommend tubes .

Last edited:
Hi Sidvee, isnt that also a function of the amp design ? eg Mac and Lamm need their power tubes changed after a couple of years but the leben ran with the same tube for 10 years..I did do some tube rolling for the sound but the older tubes all worked.
The tubes gets aged very fast depending on the bias current and the power dissipation. It can happen that same tube will either last 10 years in one design and probably 50 years in another design. This fact has been overlooked by many. My current DIY tube design tubes will last for 100+ years as they are operated at 62% of the max capacity.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back