Anyone with experience of building Class D amps using Hypex Ncore NC400 DIY kits?

I bought the Nord Ncore amp with Sparkos and Sonic Imagery discrete opamps for the input buffer board. These opamps can be easily switched.

The difference in the sonic signature of the Ncore amp with these two opamps is pretty dramatic. The Sonic imagery has an extended top end and as a result perhaps sounds more resolving. The Sparkos has a denser sound with slightly rolled highs.

I prefer the Sonic Imagery, but I can see how many would prefer the Sparkos sound.

So, its difficult to generalize the sonic characteristic of a Class D amp.

While I liked the Nord amp a lot with the Sonic imagery opamps. I found that when paired with my speakers, it was a bit too revealing and was causing listening fatigue on lesser recordings. Which got me looking for a new amp.

I ultimately bought the Luxman m900u amp to replace the Nord. It just does everything better, but at a significantly higher price point. So perhaps its not right to compare.

Nord recently came out with an improved version of their amp NC 500 amp with Rev D board which a friend of mine bought and is very happy with it. They also have an NC1200 based amp and the latest Purifi 1ET400A based amp.

I think Class D amps sound great and I don't think its a good idea to generalize the sonic characteristics of Class D versus Class A/B. I bet the Mola Mola amps sound fantastic and could very well work better than the Luxman amp I am using in my setup.

I decided to buy the Luxman amp, cause I was able to get a home demo and it worked really well in my setup.
I think NC400 Ncore is their best sounding amplifier from Hypex.I have monoblocks of Hypex and they just look and sound fantastic. Comparable to any class AB. I have used best cable and binding posts and XLR input plugs of my choice. It’s about 200 watts at 8 ohms.
The specifications are also very impressive.
Could be with some revealing speakers you might have faced this problem.
But for me these amplifiers are very very good.

Why it is hard to find any Hypex / Purifi based Amp in India ?

Is there anyone who builds Class D Hypex NCXXXMP module based Stereo Amps ?
I have Hypex NC 400 NCore monoblocks amplifiers. These are their best sounding amps.
Contact me if you want more information or interest and I will be able to help

I have Hypex NC 400 NCore monoblocks amplifiers. These are their best sounding amps.
Contact me if you want more information or interest and I will be able to help
Welcome your response.

Will DM you soon.

Welcome your response.

Will DM you soon.
If you want to build your own Hypex amplifier you can do it as it’s very easy. Just order Hypex modules , power supply and the case with full wiring -and you can easily assemble it in a few hours.

If you want to build your own Hypex amplifier you can do it as it’s very easy. Just order Hypex modules , power supply and the case with full wiring -and you can easily assemble it in a few hours.
If it is that easy, I'm surprised why many are not opting for this Hypex amplifier ?

Moreover, Hypex based mono and stereo amps have good reviews

SiR, I am pretty certain that the ease n simplicity of construction as mentioned by SKR is correct, as long as you source the amp module, PSU n casing from Hypex.

It's a matter of cost (including freight n customs).... I have not applied my mind, but I speculate it will not be significantly less than Rs 1 Lakh.... Probably more than Rs 1 Lakh if imported in your personal capacity.

Resell value of such an assembly will be nemulus, as is, for most diy products.

Maybe it's a better option to buy a mainstream product with the nCore or Hypex modules, and have better resale assurance, is my line of thought. Of course your call may be different.

If it is that easy, I'm surprised why many are not opting for this Hypex amplifier ?

Moreover, Hypex based mono and stereo amps have good reviews
Because in India and outside also people are not yet ready for class D amplifiers. I have 3 class D amplifiers and these can compete with best class AB amplifiers. I have Red wine Audio 70.2 monoblocks and I can assure you it can compete with a SET. Only problem is it has only 30 watt output which limits its usage with high sensitivity speakers. I also have Purify monoblocks which I got from VTV. It doesn’t make a difference if you buy a branded Hypex amplifier or assemble yourself. Infact if you are assembling yourself than you can use better quality parts.
SiR, I am pretty certain that the ease n simplicity of construction as mentioned by SKR is correct, as long as you source the amp module, PSU n casing from Hypex.

It's a matter of cost (including freight n customs).... I have not applied my mind, but I speculate it will not be significantly less than Rs 1 Lakh.... Probably more than Rs 1 Lakh if imported in your personal capacity.

Resell value of such an assembly will be nemulus, as is, for most diy products.

Maybe it's a better option to buy a mainstream product with the nCore or Hypex modules, and have better resale assurance, is my line of thought. Of course your call may be different.
My dear friend your calculation is absolutely wrong. The price of a Mono amplifier Kit with Box , power supply and Hypex module is €700. So for a stereo set up you need 2 monoblocks. So it’s Euro1,400. Plus shipping at lease 150 euro plus custom duty minimum 40%. Roughly 1900 euro which is approximately 170,000 rupees. This is the minimum using what ever they supply.
NC 400 is their best amplifier with best specifications. They have cheaper amplifiers also but sound wise cannot match NC400 NCore.
1687857375091.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, SKR.

I would have loved to hear your amplifiers, unfortunately I am in Mumbai .

Which speakers do you use ?

Thank you, SKR.

I would have loved to hear your amplifiers, unfortunately I am in Mumbai .

Which speakers do you use ?
I have Avantgarde Duo’s , Zu Audio Soul Supreme and another one my own creation with Seas full range 8” drivers. I am using Hypex and Purify amps mostly with Seas full range speakers.

You can make it cheaper if you make a stereo amplifier thereby you save on one power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear friend your calculation is absolutely wrong. The price of a Mono amplifier Kit with Box , power supply and Hypex module is €700. So for a stereo set up you need 2 monoblocks. So it’s Euro1,400. Plus shipping at lease 150 euro plus custom duty minimum 40%. Roughly 1900 euro which is approximately 170,000 rupees. This is the minimum using what ever they supply.
NC 400 is their best amplifier with best specifications. They have cheaper amplifiers also but sound wise cannot match NC400 NCore

View attachment 77916

I am told that customs duty on personal imports, eg via courier without an import permit is now a huge 80%

I am told that customs duty on personal imports, eg via courier without an import permit is now a huge 80%
80% that’s unbelievable. Than there is no point in importing anything directly. You have to go through an importer only.
With 80% duty it’s impossible to import anything directly.
Gone are the days

80% that’s unbelievable. Than there is no point in importing anything directly. You have to go through an importer only.
With 80% duty it’s impossible to import anything directly.
Gone are the days
Yes, True.

I bought the Nord Ncore amp with Sparkos and Sonic Imagery discrete opamps for the input buffer board. These opamps can be easily switched.

The difference in the sonic signature of the Ncore amp with these two opamps is pretty dramatic. The Sonic imagery has an extended top end and as a result perhaps sounds more resolving. The Sparkos has a denser sound with slightly rolled highs.

I prefer the Sonic Imagery, but I can see how many would prefer the Sparkos sound.

So, its difficult to generalize the sonic characteristic of a Class D amp.

While I liked the Nord amp a lot with the Sonic imagery opamps. I found that when paired with my speakers, it was a bit too revealing and was causing listening fatigue on lesser recordings. Which got me looking for a new amp.

I ultimately bought the Luxman m900u amp to replace the Nord. It just does everything better, but at a significantly higher price point. So perhaps its not right to compare.

Nord recently came out with an improved version of their amp NC 500 amp with Rev D board which a friend of mine bought and is very happy with it. They also have an NC1200 based amp and the latest Purifi 1ET400A based amp.

I think Class D amps sound great and I don't think its a good idea to generalize the sonic characteristics of Class D versus Class A/B. I bet the Mola Mola amps sound fantastic and could very well work better than the Luxman amp I am using in my setup.

I decided to buy the Luxman amp, cause I was able to get a home demo and it worked really well in my setup.
I agree with your description of sound quality of OPAmps Sparkos and Sonic Imagery. I used them in my Purifi Mono block amps which I bought from VTV USA. But after trying these two I read some rave reviews of Weiss OPAmps which are rather expensive compared to above two. So I finally decided to go for the Weiss OPAmps and found them much better than others.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back