Anyone with GATES experience?

reubensm

Hello all, during my recent travels, came across a monster turntable, Gates CB 500. It was mounted in a steel cabinet that stood from the floor. The motor was huge, about twice the size of a ceiling fan motor. It was a very attractive proposition but something that would require a lot of effort, to transport to India. Does anyone have any opinion or experience with Gates turntables, especially the CB 500? I am aware that EMT turntables were popular in the broadcast industry however in America, the Russcos, QRKs, Rek-o-kuts and the Gates turntables ruled the airwaves. The lovely aspect I thought was absolutely no electronics, hence very easy to maintain (or repair).

This is what I dug out when doing some online research. Was wondering whether the CB 500 would be a decent upgrade over my 301/401 twins.

Is it CB500 or 500A? The A version is suitable for 50Hz otherwise conversion is near impossible and I don't remember anyone reporting success.

Regards,

Did you get a chance to hear one ? from the Little understanding i have of idlers, large motors bring rumble with it unless it is given some way of draining it off

Though I have never heard of this brand before, I also feel that there could be rumble noise from the idler wheel which would have hardened . Replacement may be difficult to get. Being a transcription turntable, I don't know if they have any special features to reduce resonance

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back