Anyone with Onkyo HTS 3300 and Tata Sky HD Plus?

Tata Sky HD is not sending 5.1 output via HDMI, as it should. Connect a coaxial cable from the coaxial output of the Tata Sky box to a coaxial input on your AVR.

If you want, you can connect the HDMI cable directly to your TV, as it will not make a difference if you route the signal through your AVR, since the audio will be carried anyways by the coaxial cable.

Optical cable will also do instead of coaxial.

Hey. just bought Onkyo 3400 for 23500 (with HDMI cable) from delhi. I have connected my Tata Sky HD and AV with an HDMI and AV with TV with another HDMI. the setup is working fine but i am not able to appreciate if the sound coming is 5.1 dolby or not. Do i need to connect another optical / coaxial cable also for that? if yes then which one should i purchase ?

Where did you bought it ? I am also thinking of buying it.

Since its been 3 months and i have seen couple of Software upgrades on the TS STB wanted to know if the problem still persists on the TS STB ? Does anyone tried connecting an Airtel STB to HTS3400 ? I am panning to buy HTS3400 very soon and have both Airtel and TS, so need to know whic one must be connected.

i have connected my airtel (HD) STB to my onkyo ht-s3300
here is list of problem which i m facing rght now

1. in HDMI connection i m only getting all channel (5.1) st ,dolby pl II (which suckx), and other option which is of no use
2. same for Optical connection

although my STB is HD ,so for hd channel why i m nt getting these option like true HD DD,DD plus

3.same problem i am facing for my PC (motherboard DH67lb with on board hd sound) i have already tried each and every video formate blue ray to dvd same problem nt getting any option like true HD DD

^^. You won't get Dolby TrueHD sound using your HD STB. Airtel HD STB supports only Dolby Digital (If it has 5.1) not TrueHD. TrueHD is a High definition audio format and is available only on blu-ray movies. You will need to download movies with Dolby TrueHD. Normal brrip files contain audio in ac3, aac or dts format and not HD audio. Make sure that your PC supports HD audio bit streaming over HDMI. How are you connecting the pc to AVR? Do you use HDMI for that?

@baijuxavior i have connected my pc through hdmi and tried to play movie in all formate (viz blue ray,hdrip,dvdrip,mkv....) but not getting any Dolby TrueHD or nething else xcept Dolby pl II (in which i hardly get any sound from rear channel)
for ur information here is my pc config....
I5 2500k
DH67LB moby (my Ht-s3300 receiver is connected through on board hdmi)
gts250 GPU (i am not using it rght nw coz i lost my spdif to gpu connector)

n can any one tell me why onkyo ht-s3300 isnt producing upto mark sound quality with STB it sounds like ordinary speaker with a hell lotta loudness nothing else

^^. You won't get Dolby TrueHD sound using your HD STB. Airtel HD STB supports only Dolby Digital (If it has 5.1) not TrueHD. TrueHD is a High definition audio format and is available only on blu-ray movies. You will need to download movies with Dolby TrueHD. Normal brrip files contain audio in ac3, aac or dts format and not HD audio. Make sure that your PC supports HD audio bit streaming over HDMI. How are you connecting the pc to AVR? Do you use HDMI for that?

I have connected Tata sky HD+ >>HDMI>> Onkyo HTS3400 >> Samsung full HD TV

when i try to watch full HD channels, i get dolby digital "D" in red color on display. does this mean, my TS HD+ is providing output in dolby digital.

Hey. just bought Onkyo 3400 for 23500 (with HDMI cable) from delhi. I have connected my Tata Sky HD and AV with an HDMI and AV with TV with another HDMI. the setup is working fine but i am not able to appreciate if the sound coming is 5.1 dolby or not. Do i need to connect another optical / coaxial cable also for that? if yes then which one should i purchase ?

wow !!! which place buddy ??

I have connected Tata sky HD+ >>HDMI>> Onkyo HTS3400 >> Samsung full HD TV

when i try to watch full HD channels, i get dolby digital "D" in red color on display. does this mean, my TS HD+ is providing output in dolby digital.

Yes it does - to check further if it is providing you 5.1 all you need to do it to press the display button and it should show you the details (it should write doloby D and 5.1)

Solution to get TataSky+ HD with Onkyo 3300:

1. Connect one HDMI cable and one coaxial cable from STB to HTS3300.
2. Connect one HDMI cable from HTS 3300 to your High Definition TV
3. You can view the Tatasky+ HD channels, but you will not get Dolby 5.1 sound ( Bug in Tatasky+ HD firmware)
4. To get the Dolby sound, press Audio button from your Onkyo 3300 remote, and press several times till you get Audio Input selection. Now you can select Coax ( Coaxial) for the audio input.
5. Hurray, you will get High Def 1080i Video with Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
Any reason why coaxial cable is being preferred over optical cable? Will i get 5.1 DD sound if i connect the optical cable from TS+ STB to Onkyo receiver, while the HDMI cable from STB connected to the HD TV?

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Onkyo HTS 3400 to fulfill the following expectations:

1) Budget of 25K for AV receiver + 5.1 speakers
2) Get the maximum audio output from my Tata Sky Plus HD (specially DD surround from HD channels)
3) Connect and play HD movies from a blu ray player/network player (YouTube) which i intend to buy in a couple of weeks
4) Watch HD movies from external HDD connected to my HD TV (Samsung LA32C530) through USB port and optical cable connected from HD TV to AV receiver

Can you all confirm if the above expectations would be met if i buy the HTS3400?

Also, in the future, i plan to add higher quality 5.1 speaker systems to the AV receiver HTS3400, would it be compatible or is the HTS3400 meant only for the speakers it is coming with?

Thanks! :)

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Onkyo HTS 3400 to fulfill the following expectations:

1) Budget of 25K for AV receiver + 5.1 speakers
2) Get the maximum audio output from my Tata Sky Plus HD (specially DD surround from HD channels)
3) Connect and play HD movies from a blu ray player/network player (YouTube) which i intend to buy in a couple of weeks
4) Watch HD movies from external HDD connected to my HD TV (Samsung LA32C530) through USB port and optical cable connected from HD TV to AV receiver

Can you all confirm if the above expectations would be met if i buy the HTS3400?

YES

Also, in the future, i plan to add higher quality 5.1 speaker systems to the AV receiver HTS3400, would it be compatible or is the HTS3400 meant only for the speakers it is coming with?

Thanks! :)

You can change all the satellite speakers to better ones, but not the subwoofer as onkyo 3400 has no pre-out for subwoofer.

A simple solution will be to connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV, with a coaxial cable to the input on the receiver, so it can no longer get confused on whether to use sound from HDMI or coaxial.

This solution is, of course, till the HD DVR starts proper Dolby Digital output via HDMI.

Has tata sky fixed this ? How are the normal SD channels , sound wise ?

Last edited:
Tata Sky + HD has the optical out as well in their STB's. The one that I have is there since 2011. I have no problems while using this with my HTS 3400. I get true Dolby Surround 5.1 when i connect the optical cable from my Onkyo AV receiver with the TS+ HD STB box.

Has tata sky fixed this ? How are the normal SD channels , sound wise ?

Normal SD sounds normal :lol:
I use the AV receiver when watching the HD channels, however, use the TV Audio when watching SD channels. Sound is acceptable for SD channels, not very good but not very bad either.:)

So are you having all HDMI , coaxial, 2.1 audio cables in your installation ?

HDMI cable connected from TS+ HD STB to my TV
Optical cable connected from TS+ HD to the AV receiver.
Coaxial is not being used.
no 2.1 audio cables being used either.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back