anyway of measuring power consumption of equipment ?

arj

Staff member
Just curious about measuring Instantaneous power consumption (highest) and perhaps the average. I there any reasonably priced power meter available for this ?

I would assume that this wold need to be placed in series

Thanks Santhol. I also did consider an amp meter (from Lynx India) to measure the current and use 220 x A x 0.8 (approx) for the power..but was hoping for some sort of a power meter .

But this is a really good implementation.

Last edited:
Hi arj you could use Ohm's law. do it with a simple multimeter. connect multimeter in parallel to your speakers. select AC voltage - lowest setting. play music at the level u normally listen to. measure the highest reading you get. Square it and divide it by the nominal resistance (or impedance if u like it that way), usually, 4 or 6 or 8 (measure this initially with meter in resistance and speaker terminals removed). u get the power consumption for that channel.

this is a ball park method of evaluating but gives you a fairly good picture of ur amps output (in watts)

Hi Flanker.. I actually want to measure the Power Consumption of my CDP, DAC and Amp ;)

was thinking of measuring the current and multiplying it with the Voltage and the power factor assumed to be around 0.8 (actually would be arounf .75)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back