anyway of measuring power consumption of equipment ?

arj

Staff member
Just curious about measuring Instantaneous power consumption (highest) and perhaps the average. I there any reasonably priced power meter available for this ?

I would assume that this wold need to be placed in series

Thanks Santhol. I also did consider an amp meter (from Lynx India) to measure the current and use 220 x A x 0.8 (approx) for the power..but was hoping for some sort of a power meter .

But this is a really good implementation.

Last edited:
Hi arj you could use Ohm's law. do it with a simple multimeter. connect multimeter in parallel to your speakers. select AC voltage - lowest setting. play music at the level u normally listen to. measure the highest reading you get. Square it and divide it by the nominal resistance (or impedance if u like it that way), usually, 4 or 6 or 8 (measure this initially with meter in resistance and speaker terminals removed). u get the power consumption for that channel.

this is a ball park method of evaluating but gives you a fairly good picture of ur amps output (in watts)

Hi Flanker.. I actually want to measure the Power Consumption of my CDP, DAC and Amp ;)

was thinking of measuring the current and multiplying it with the Voltage and the power factor assumed to be around 0.8 (actually would be arounf .75)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back