APC UPS catches fire!

shankarcams

I know a title like this is normally used to denote a fast selling product (e.g. Apple iPAD on fire!!), but in my case the APC UPS literally caught fire!!!

This is a 6KVA double conversion SURT series APC UPS. It is my practice to keep the UPS entirely powered off (input and output) between sessions just to conserve energy and to avoid risk of any powered on item. I then normally power on the input about 30 minutes before a listening session, and connect the load 10 minutes before the session. Gives everything time to settle down.

I was in the first stage , viz. input on but output not on. A few minutes later terrible burning smell from the room. Went in and was shocked to find room full of smoke and flames leaping out of the rear of the UPS. Ran into kitchen, got the fire extinguisher and blasted away. Fortunately the UPS is quite segregated from equipment so no collateral damage (except tons of fire extinguisher powder all over).

However I must appreciate instant response by APC to inspect (within 2 hours) and replace (24 hours). Understand some cap burnt but awaiting proper feedback as to what happened. I don't think I will ever feel safe leaving the UPS powered on and unattended for quite a while more! Would suggest to all that a clear space around UPS is a must.

Amazing ! This is the first time I am coming across an UPS catching fire. I know endless number of APC and other UPSs which are on 24/7.

Good to hear that everything is fine.

Unbelievable!! I do hope APC will ensure they have to re-look at their design for India again. I have an APC inverter, and that is on 24/7.

Cheers

I was thinking of installing online UPS this week and roaming around and following Ajay power thread and completely off after seeing this.:sad:

However good to know that all equipments are safe and APC given a replacement within 24hrs.

Lots of companies use APC online UPS which run 24/7,many ATMs use them as well.

Either this UPS had a manufacturing defect or some really crappy power or spike at the time you had switched On.
All UPS can only withstand upto a certain voltage and spike.Beyond that it will go kaput.

There was one person in TE forums who had is APC ups replaced 11 times or more with fireworks,but not a single time did the connected items went kaput.
APC died for the 11th time need replacement URGENT HELP!!!

.But fortunately it appears that he no longer has is UPS going kaput.

OMG!! Glad that all is well and your equipment did not get damaged. Please keep a fire extinguisher near your equipment. I always keep two in my home theater.

I had a similar situation at my home last year only it was a case of a fire in my bedroom system caused by a cheapo microtek spikebuster that caught fire. We were in the ground floor and when we sensed something burning, I went upstairs to see the entire first floor in smoke and the MCB in my room had tripped. Only the plasma TV & tatasky plus was connected to this spikebuster and luckily nothing happened to it except that both the power cables got burnt and the program that we were recording did not get recorded. We slept in the home theater that night as the bedroom was covered with soot and smelling of burnt plastic.

All branches of the Banks have at least one UPS. As a Security Manager I found this to be the single most potential fire hazard but most in the Bank don't think so.:mad:

All branches of the Banks have at least one UPS. As a Security Manager I found this to be the single most potential fire hazard but most in the Bank don't think so.:mad:

You are absolutely right and i dont understand why it is so hard to believe for others as you mentioned, a ups with high powered batteries connected has indeed got a great potential to be a firestarter which can burn buildings down,
you would do well to take necessary precautions to make sure any potential fire in the UPS room can be safely contained

6KVA is overkill for most HT installations. You should take the load of your equipment, double it and capacitise accordingly. But if you need 6KVA then I suppose APC is as good as any other. I think there are only small differences between current generation double conversion UPS from good brands.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back